Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Viewing photos resizes large images and makes them look jagged
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When viewing photos, say one with an image size of 5183 x 3456, xbmc appears to shrink the photo but doesn't do any resampling so the photo looks like it has a lot of jagged edges.

If I view the same photo using the photo slideshow addon the photo looks fine.

Is there anyway to make xbmc resample the photos?

Thanks
Anyone noticed this before or have a solution? Thanks...loving every other part of xbmc just not the photos bit...Sad
Yeah the downsampling in basic xbmc is terrible...I have found if I feed xbmc my full res photos and let it downsize, it's terrible - from jagged edges to way over emphasising grain. So I export from Lightroom to fit 1920 by 1080 just for XBMC. That works as expected. I figure it's using some fast but crap down sampling technique.
What is "export from Lightroom" and does that make photos better in xbmc?
In other words, he is resizing the pictures with an external application (Adobe Lightroom) so that they show up nicely in Xbmc.

I know what you mean. Sadly the pictures department isn't the part of Xbmc that has received the most love in the past. Smile
I thought that would be the answer...Sad

A real shame as it appears that whoever wrote the picture slideshow has done something clever with the sampling...Sad
Been looking into this a bit more and so far I have come up with the following workaround

Download robocopy and irfanview

Robocopy command from cmd prompt (to copy existing directory to one for xbmc with reduced size images)
robocopy <photo directory> to <photo directory(xbmc) *.jpg /XA:H /XD originals /XD RAW /XD Extras

irfanview command from cmd prompt
cmd /c for /R d:\media\photos(xbmc) %i in (*.jpg) do "C:\program files\irfanview\i_view32.exe" %i /resize=(1920) /aspectratio /resample /convert=%i

the above will resize all photos long edge to 1920xwhatever (I only have a 720p TV)

Then add source <photo directory(xbmc)> to xbmc
Unfortunately, even when the image matches the resolution, it still looks slightly fuzzy compared to how it should. Again, viewing the image in the photos slideshow screensaver is crystal, viewing through photos is a little fuzzy...Sad

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the photo viewing auto resizing to fit but can't find a settign for it...Sad
Yeah the slideshow definitely does some resampling (which I think even the single image view doesn't). It's distinctly irritating.
Try adding this to your advancedsettings.xml to get rid of scaling...appears to work

Code:
<slideshow>
  <!-- Amount to compensate (zoom) images to attempt to reduce black bars. -->
  <!-- Results in cropping of the longer length of the image in order to reduce the black bars on the shorter length of the image.  -->
  <!-- Defaults to 20. -->
  <blackbarcompensation>0</blackbarcompensation>  
</slideshow>
Thanks. I have got the irfanview resizing stuff working nicely now.

Pictures still looking was happenig because I was using a 4:3 monitor, on a widescreen they are fine.