Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Saucy Minimal, ION(1), and 3.13 kernel issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone run the above setup successfully? I did a minimal ubuntu install with Saucy, configured and successfully ran xbmc on kernel 3.11. I upgraded the kernel to 3.12.6 and still runs fine. If I upgrade to 3.13 I boot to tty1. I read around and saw it had something to do with gcc. So I made gcc 4.8 the default. I then purged and reinstalled nvidia-current. I now get the window "XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL...". So I got closer. I have since formatted and started over. Back to running 3.12.9. Any advice or suggestions to get to 3.13?
I had a similar experience with this during upgrades on Ubuntu:-

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165815

...and the articule that helped me solve the problem:-

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubunt...vidia.html Step 2: Manually configure drivers.
I actually read through your post and followed the article. But I still was having issues. I have it running fine right now.
Code:
xbmc@Hinata:~$ dkms status
nvidia-304, 304.116, 3.11.0-15-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia-304, 304.116, 3.12.9-031209-generic, x86_64: installed
Now if I install 3.13.0, do I reinstall nvidia-current? Or do I need to purge it first?
I don't know more than that articule, hopefully someone with more knowledge will have an answer for you. If you're open to testing, I'd have thought a purge of the drivers might make some sense .. but that's more feeling than fact Wink
Purge and reinstall is what makes more sense once new kernel is loaded!?

Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current -y
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current -y
sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current

that last one for good measure?
won't help

distribution internal nvidia-current does not compile with 3.13
Add xswat ppa and upgrade then unless they dont work either.

idk any valid reasons why you have to have kernel 3.13 with a ION1 or wait until nvidia drivers packagedin Ubuntu by xswat actually compile and work with that newer kernel, if for some insane reason ION1 really does benefit from this kernel.
(2014-01-27, 23:06)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]won't help

distribution internal nvidia-current does not compile with 3.13

That would explain all my issues then. I had also stumbled across this thread but at the time it seemed to reference older RCs and 331 driver. I also thought it was fixed in the final. All I have for linux boxes are my HTPCs so is the best route to just wait until the patches are committed into the next driver release?
(2014-01-27, 23:44)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Add xswat ppa and upgrade then unless they dont work either.

idk any valid reasons why you have to have kernel 3.13 with a ION1 or wait until nvidia drivers packagedin Ubuntu by xswat actually compile and work with that newer kernel, if for some insane reason ION1 really does benefit from this kernel.

They don't either. They just release another driver that still doesn't work. I am just OC so I try to keep both my boxes identical.
Why do you really need to run this kernel NOW in ION1? n fact why do you need to upgrade kernels for ION1 like this?

You can go have a chat with the xswat ppa nvidia maintaner (nice friendly chap) that packages the nvidia drivers (if they dont work either) and chat to him about that thread and the patch apparently is newest at http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/rpms/nvi...iew=markup

I'd still like to know why ION1 and this newer kernel is a must
It's not a must. Like I said I like to have everything the same. I tried and it didn't work. I learn more everytime I break something then fix it. Fritsch said it doesn't work so I'm good with that. It was bothering me if it could be done but I couldn't do it.
I said "Your distribution shipped nvidia-current package does not build with 3.13 kernel". Other packages will do.
(2014-01-28, 09:33)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]I said "Your distribution shipped nvidia-current package does not build with 3.13 kernel". Other packages will do.

By other packages he means xswat ppa packages. Smile

Once you get past the invisible barrier and try what I said a few posts back, maybe you can even mark this thread as solved Smile
I tried xswat. I have the same issues.
I dont usually recommend this but try the binary blob installer...
Tried manually installing the driver directly from nvidia?
Pages: 1 2