Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bay Trail-D motherboards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-03-31, 18:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-31, 15:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]@dougie, Even though my build is for a server I wanted to see how it plays 1080p blu-ray rips. I played Avatar MKV I ripped with MakeMKV locally off the HD and was getting slightly choppy playback with VLC. I'm curious as to what your setup was playing 1080p. Did you do it with Windows or a Linux version of XBMC?

I just did a quick test using LAVFilter and WMP. I haven't gotten back to playing with that system it to install XBMC and see how it fares. I want to do that, I want to try WMC Live TV (I have a CableCard tuner) and I've also got on my list to try OpenELEC as well. If I hadn't had to deal with all the BIOS finagling I would have had more time in the one evening I was able to set aside.

Hopefully not getting a chance to try XBMC yet won't get me the lashing from the forum police like it did in the Celeron 847 thread. It was all my time just to get Win7 installed and run a few quick tests and I thought it was worth reviewing at that point for Amazon at least.

Haha, yeah after the same ordeal with Bios I haven't wanted to mess with it. If I don't buy my 3TB hard drives this weekend I will give OpenELEC a try.

Thanks for your help so far.

(2014-03-31, 22:53)Raudi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-31, 15:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]@dougie, Even though my build is for a server I wanted to see how it plays 1080p blu-ray rips. I played Avatar MKV I ripped with MakeMKV locally off the HD and was getting slightly choppy playback with VLC. I'm curious as to what your setup was playing 1080p. Did you do it with Windows or a Linux version of XBMC?

On Linux with XBMC I have flawless 1080p playback so far.

Right on! Which distro of Linux are you using exactly? I think I'm going to give OpenELEC a try this weekend.
(2014-04-01, 05:44)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-31, 18:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]

I just did a quick test using LAVFilter and WMP. I haven't gotten back to playing with that system it to install XBMC and see how it fares. I want to do that, I want to try WMC Live TV (I have a CableCard tuner) and I've also got on my list to try OpenELEC as well. If I hadn't had to deal with all the BIOS finagling I would have had more time in the one evening I was able to set aside.

Hopefully not getting a chance to try XBMC yet won't get me the lashing from the forum police like it did in the Celeron 847 thread. It was all my time just to get Win7 installed and run a few quick tests and I thought it was worth reviewing at that point for Amazon at least.

Haha, yeah after the same ordeal with Bios I haven't wanted to mess with it. If I don't buy my 3TB hard drives this weekend I will give OpenELEC a try.

Thanks for your help so far.

(2014-03-31, 22:53)Raudi Wrote: [ -> ]

On Linux with XBMC I have flawless 1080p playback so far.

Right on! Which distro of Linux are you using exactly? I think I'm going to give OpenELEC a try this weekend.
Archlinux
But I would only suggest it to you, if you have some knowledge with Linux, or have no problem learning many new things. But all other distros with a reasonably new kernel should work.
Hi. I cannot get the sound via HDMI to work. I am using ubuntu 13.10, I've set the output to HDMI in XBMC but no sound to my receiver.

I have the GA-J1800.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Thanks
FYI, I fixed the sound via HDMI issue by upgrading the kernel to 3.14
Dear all,

I just ordered the Gigabyte mainboard yesterday (basically it's the only bay trail-D available on retail websites where I live). I plan on using either a newish ubuntu (or Mint if they manage to deliver their distro based on 14.04 quickly).

I'll report back on what I manage to do with it.

EDIT:
....with DDR3L ram and a BR drive. The case is a Gigabyte T5140, and I'll be reusing its SSD. (it used to have 2 big 3.5" hard drives before I got around to using a real NAS). this mobo replaces a Zotac IONITX A-E.
Likewise, the Biostar j1800nh will arrive at my door tomorrow, looking to replace my old htpc - an a6 3500 build - with this to cut power draw waaay down. Will report how it goes.
What about
- 3D frame packing
- HD sounds (DTS-HD, etc)
?

Is there any weakness compared to Kabini? From htpc point of view, of course.
I'm going to make a proper build post shortly, but as a quick review:

For HTPC purposes, the Biostar J1800NH is great. Worked out of the box with Ubuntu 12.04 with no BIOS fiddling or UEFI issues - bios is configured for insecure (read: standard non-win8 locked) boot.

Snapped the ram onto the board, popped it into my case and wired it up, connected the HDD, plugged in my Ubuntu USB key and booted up, as close to effortless as these things get.

Performance is fine, not spectacular but more than adequate for a great xbmc experience.

I'm running it with 4gb ram and an old 160gb 2.5" HDD ripped from an old netbook - will migrate to my SSD once everything is good to go.

All in all, very impressed. For a $60 board that just became a $150 htpc, it's outstanding. I can't comment on pszab's questions, as I don't use 3D (or know what the deal is with 23.976), HD audio seems fine, though admittedly I'm no audiophile.
Thanks for the heads up !
I received my Gigabyte J1800N-D2H yesterday, but I leave tomorrow for a week and wont have time to do anything with it until then. I will report when I have.

I've seen a couple of reviews of AMD"s AM1 socket offering and all of them seem to be missing the entire point:
- At less than 70€, it's not so much a pain to upgrade it every year or every two year to what comes next (compared to AMD's socket APUs available for 50ish bucks that you can upgrade only until they decide to change the socket / RAM compatibility).
- 10W versus 25W... yes it's a big difference to build a passive HTPC.
- performance difference for HTPC use is minimal Performance for browsing/light desktop usage is a little bigger but nothing mind-blowing.

(2014-04-10, 10:55)Wintersdark Wrote: [ -> ]All in all, very impressed. For a $60 board that just became a $150 htpc, it's outstanding. I can't comment on pszab's questions, as I don't use 3D (or know what the deal is with 23.976), HD audio seems fine, though admittedly I'm no audiophile.

I believe the guys who talk (rant?) about 23.976 are talking about sync between TVs refresh rates and HDMI out refresh rates. This 23.976 fps thing is (as far as I understand) required on the CPU side to have things working as they want. It's a hardware thing in the CPU which is why they are particularly carefull about it.
Yup. At $60 for my board, I was more than happy with an integrated CPU. As much as I love discrete CPU's for gaming desktops, even there its largely just so I can get the CPU and the board I want - its been my experience in my time building PC's (as long as that's been an option) I think I've upgraded a CPU by itself once. Otherwise, sockets or other tech changes make a motherboard upgrade necessary anyways.
(2014-04-10, 09:30)pszab Wrote: [ -> ]- 23.976

It's an Ivy Bridge GPU so likely not fixed.

(2014-04-10, 09:30)pszab Wrote: [ -> ]- 3D frame packing

No. It's "Intel HD" graphics so same as a desktop Celeron/Pentium.

(2014-04-10, 09:30)pszab Wrote: [ -> ]- HD sounds (DTS-HD, etc)

Yes. It's "Intel HD" graphics so same as a desktop Celeron/Pentium. Well, it's supported at least and will work if there's no driver issues.

(2014-04-10, 09:30)pszab Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any weakness compared to Kabini? From htpc point of view, of course.

The first thing that comes to mind is passive (J1800/1900) vs. active cooling (Kabini) but I am hopeful for some passive Kabini cooling options. De-interlacing will be better with Kabini so I expect live TV and DVDs will be look better out-of-the-box. I know with AMD's latest drivers and a E1-2100 Kabini motherboard there's the old issue in Windows 7 where if you change inputs or turn off the TV and then switch back there's no picture unless you unplug/plug back in the HDMI.
(2014-04-10, 14:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]

Sure? The Baytrail NUC is also an IB GPU and don't have this Bug, as far as i know.
So it must be an Chipset Bug then.
Board plugged and booting fine.
BIOS is rather basic but does what it is told.
OS install will have to wait until I come back from vacation.

My (little) 60Gb SSD will have to house:
- A very limited Win7 only for BR playing (if I don't manage this in linux) (estimated 30Gb)
- one or more linuxes (probably Mint LMDE to begin with, probably Ubuntu 14.04 also)
- A barebone HiFi oriented linux. Either a stripped down Debian or somthing like Daphile. (http://www.daphile.com/) (yes, I'm a hifi guy)
(2014-04-11, 11:45)Aquarius Wrote: [ -> ]... or somthing like Daphile. ( http://www.daphile.com/ ) (yes, I'm a hifi guy)

Very interesting. I am going to have to check this out. I get the occasional build for audiophile/music server. I am actually discussing a build using this board right now but I think he's going to use JRiver.
(2014-04-10, 19:50)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-10, 14:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]

Sure? The Baytrail NUC is also an IB GPU and don't have this Bug, as far as i know.
So it must be an Chipset Bug then.

You're wrong. It has. Haswell hasn't