Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Partitioning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Really loving XBMCbuntu, but wondering about the future upgrade to Gotham. I usually like to do clean installs when I upgrade my linux systems. Wondering if I should setup a second partition to move my home folder (where all my media is stored). Should I move the entire folder or just my media (movies and tv shows)? How large should I leave the root partition for XBMCbuntu?
Why bother reinstalling? Just upgrade XBMCbuntu itself then grab Gotham from the PPAs.
Isn't support for quantal (which is what XBMCbuntu is based on) finished with now? (Or close to finished).

IMHO XBMCbuntu should base itself on LTS versions of ubuntu.
Hmm. Do you have an idea how the typical user behaves? I frequently do apt-get update & upgrade, mostly triggered when my desktop machine tells me about some security patches. But I am not sure if this is normal, if yes, then LTS would be the right choice. OTOH, if you need the latest video driver, isn't the current Ubuntu better? But yes, in general I'd agree with choosing LTS as base.

Bak to the OP question, before we completely fade away from the actual thread:
My solution is to have /home on the root fs, but no media on it. Partition size can then be as small as 4GB or so. If you want a real clean reinstall, you can nuke it. If you want a clean reinstall with a lifeline, do a
Code:
sudo tar -czvf /media/lifeline.tgz /etc /home
to do a back-up of config files and home directory first, and then nuke it.
I agree. Frankly I find the smallest working drive I can find for / [1] and then all data on other big disks. All non / disks mounted under /mnt.

[1] These days this can result in a lot of wasted space as 4-8G is enough for an OS, but can you buy an 8G hard drive? Only maybe as a ssd. The balance of the stuff on that not small enough hard drive is good for temp storage, like where your torrents/nzbs download.

oops did I say that?
I still have some the drawer as leftovers from old hardware. Wanna buy some? :-)
But I doubt you can connect them to a decent modern motherboard these days. Anyway, for a 8GB HD I was more thinking of an SD card. Just bought a Cubietruck recently and am somewhat biased...But then: Booting off an 8GB USB stick is fine and fast enough.
(2014-02-04, 09:56)thd042 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. Do you have an idea how the typical user behaves? I frequently do apt-get update & upgrade, mostly triggered when my desktop machine tells me about some security patches. But I am not sure if this is normal, if yes, then LTS would be the right choice. OTOH, if you need the latest video driver, isn't the current Ubuntu better? But yes, in general I'd agree with choosing LTS as base.

You can upgrade the underlying OS in XBMCbuntu just like with any other Ubuntu distribution. My dad's machine is happily humming along at 13.10.
I usually like to do a clean install because I am never sure if I installed unnecessary packages when configuring the previous version. Who wants all that garbage just taking up space. I have been running
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
but have not upgraded Ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.10 on this system. What version is Gotham going to be based on? I might just repartition just for easy "nuking" purposes encase something goes wrong. Much easier to reinstall OS than rip all my movies and shows again. Probably leave the /home and just make a Movies and TV Shows folder on the new partition and mount them inside the /home.

Edit: I use the Xswat or xorg-edgers ppa for my video drivers, depending on how daring I am.