Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Asus Chromebox - new to HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
Originally I was looking to build my first HTPC unit but after seeing price of Asus Chromebox ($179) http://www.anandtech.com/show/7735/asus-...ing-at-179 I might just wait for it in march. I have just few questions on what would be best for me. I have cancelled Comcast and now have netflix thru roku 3, bunch of DVDs & Blue Ray and indoor antenna. Below are things I am looking for media box to perform:

1) Play DVD & Blue Rays I have stored on my pc & on disc (I have WD terabyte drive I could use to transfer movies to Chromebox).
2) Scrape Netflix for movies & shows I am interested in and store them.
3) Store network shows I am interested in via indoor antenna (do I need tv tuner?)
4) Store free shows from Roku 3 box.
5) Not run too loud.

Thank you
From a hardware standpoint, it should do all of those things (if you get a USB TV tuner for the over-the-air content). The tricky part is integrating Netflix and XBMC, since all you can really do is make it seem integrated. Netflix itself will always play outside of XBMC, either in a dedicated Netflix app or in a browser. There are add-ons that can help smooth the transition, like allowing you to select a movie in XBMC, then launching the web browser to the correct Netflix page, but it does require a little bit of setup.
I'm wondering about the audio on this box. Quite often I see alternatives to a full blown HTPC that look really great, cheap, small, streamlined but then they can't handle HD audio, like DTS, DTS-HD, MA etc.
Curious if this is a new NUC-like box that will do that.
I don't think the Ouya or raspbpi systems can, that might have changed though since I know it was an issue that was continuously being brought up for the Ouya and a few workarounds existed last time I looked.
Will XBMC install in the Chrome OS?
Up now for pre order in the us
I like the look of it