Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SHOUTCast streaming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i haven't used shoutcast for ages, and am a bit lost now that i look at it in a recent build.

my previous build had a directory full of genres, and in those there were .sc files that contained a one line url of the station. the latest build of xbmc doesn't seem to recongnise files with this extension however.

the shoutcast top 500 link that is included in the xml file is cool - if a little hard to search through - but what is the current recommended way of adding a bunch of stations-as-files so you can just select them as you would an audio file? is it just a matter of the file extension having changed, or is there a new format?

thanks,
zilch.
(zilch @ mar. 04 2006,14:44 Wrote:my previous build had a directory full of genres, and in those there were .sc files that contained a one line url of the station.  the latest build of xbmc doesn't seem to recongnise files with this extension however.

...is it just a matter of the file extension having changed, or is there a new format?
just the extention has changed to .pls, whihc is the original shoutcast format. read the online-manual (see my signature), simply download the .pls you want from shoutcast.com (right-click on "tune in!")
is there a way to set a bookmark to such a file?
i tried g:/music/fm4.pls
and g:\music\fm4.pls
but both only opened a non existing folder

tia
sunny :nuts:
again you need to read the manual (i won't answer any more questions before you do!Wink, you can't bookmark a media-file or a playlist directly, you can only bookmark a folder/share.
(gamester17 @ mar. 04 2006,16:40 Wrote:
(zilch @ mar. 04 2006,14:44 Wrote:my previous build had a directory full of genres, and in those there were .sc files that contained a one line url of the station. the latest build of xbmc doesn't seem to recongnise files with this extension however.

...is it just a matter of the file extension having changed, or is there a new format?
just the extention has changed to .pls, whihc is the original shoutcast format. read the online-manual (see my signature), simply download the .pls you want from shoutcast.com (right-click on "tune in!")
thanks for the reply gamester17. i'll give that a go...

i did search the online manual, but if this info is there it's not immediatly obvious. searching for "shoutcast" give the following hits:

1. abouttheproject
2. generalpathsxml
3. xbmcfaq
4. homemymusic
5. newmanual
6. aboutprojectintrov2
7. comment288
8. comment296
9. newmymusic
10. newmanualproperlayout
11. newmanualoutline
12. comment312
13. musicplaybackosd
14. comment323
15. mymusic-types-bookmark-setup-v2
16. codelayout
17. dvdplayer

most of which are general "can it play shoutcast" type faqs, or specific stuff about paths. if you can point me to where this is i will attempt to update it to make it more intuitive once i get it working.

zilch.
sorry, i made the assumption it was in the manual, ...please feel free to add the 'how-to' information to the my music section of the manual yourself (it's a wiki after all, simply register first)
on xbmc, it only lists the top 500 shoutcasts. is there anyway to add those that are online on the shoutcast site?
those are the top 500 requested streams from the shoutcast site. and yes you could change it to get more than 500, but it requires a code change.
is this the right way to add my own stations to my music:

1. i download the pls files of the radiostation of my choice
2. put them in a folder
3. add a bookmark to mymusic an link to this folder !?

this does not work. i've read the manual but there is nothing special about this topic mainly general things
what i did:

1-create a .pls file with note pad
2-enter: shout://ip adressofshoutcast:port ( to find these, i looked it up on the winamp playlist window cause i suck at being a nerd and knowing whereelse)
3-put that in a folder you create with your ftp that you shove in /album/playlist of your xbmc folder.

and there you go: shoutcasts for dummies. should be in your playlist button on the left.