Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't copy music from XBMC (linux) to XBMC (android) using File Manager
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,

I have an Acer ER1401 media centre with XBMC installed on linux (actually, I think I installed XBMCbuntu (Precise Pangolin)). I did this some time ago, so XBMC is version 11.0 (Eden). The media is kept on an external HDD which is mounted by linux. XBMC on this machine is able to play all media files.

My daughter and I have android tablets and phones (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Samsung Galaxy Siii mini respectively) both of which have XMBC installed (12.1 and 12.1 respectively).

We'd both like to have local copies of music so we can listen to music when we are out and about.

To avoid installing FTP/SCP clients on the Android devices, I decided to enable the UPnP server on the media centre (linux) and then use the File Manager on the Android-XBMC devices to copy the required files over.

In the Android File Manager, I added a new UPnP source - I was able "see" the linux-XBMC UPnP server.

In the Android File Manager, I nominated left-hand-side of the screen (A) as the source and the right-hand-side (B) as the destination.

On the source, I navigated to the music folders on the linux-media centre.
On the destination, I navigated to the Android device's external-sd-card (/storage/ext/SdCard/Music).

I used the context menu on the source music folder (and files) and selected "Copy". A progress bar was displayed and after a short delay a message was displayed indicating that

Copy failed. Failed to copy at least one file. Operation was aborted

I thought it might be something to do with the fact that I was copying files to the external SD card on Android so I attempted to copy the files to the built flash storage but I got the same result.

Scratching my head, I thought I would try to eliminate various causes, so installed minidlna on media centre. Again, on the Android devices I was able to see the new UPnP server (I named it differently from the one built into XBMC) and attempted the copy again. It failed in the same way.

What am I doing wrong? Is it a permissions error in some way preventing files being written to the Android devices? Or am I using XBMC/UPnP in a way it wasn't designed for?

Thanks