Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to properly connect to Synology NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After having been a loyal SageTV user, with the take-over by Google and the factual shut-down of further development, I had to look for an alternative. XBMC did take some time to adapt to, but over time it has grown on me and turns out to be a great replacement. But as every 'newby', some issues that just need some help to get fixed. Below current top issues I would like to solve.

I'm running XBMC on a G-Box MX2 Android device. I got a Synology DS412+ on which I store my media files.

I have identified the NAS paths on my Android device using smb. All works fine, only if I delete a file in XBMC it doesn't actually delete it on the NAS. I have an identical setup on my windows PC, and there an XBMC delete does delete the file on the NAS.

Is there any special setup to do to have this work on Android? If not, I'll start looking on how to create/check log files ...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jan P.
Settings -> Appearance -> File Lists -> Allow File renaming and deletion Wink
(2014-02-09, 17:59)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Settings -> Appearance -> File Lists -> Allow File renaming and deletion Wink

Yeah, when I saw that option last week I also thought I had solved it. But nope, still not working. I do get both questions when I select "Remove from Library": "Really remove 'name of file'?" and "Delete these files? - Deleting files cannot be undone!".

Guess I would not get that second one if I had not setup that option.

So problem must be somewhere else ...

Jan P.
Have you set guest read/write permissions on the folder

- in DSM to control panel\user, select guest and enable the account
- in DSM go to control panel\shared folder
- pick a folder and select edit then go to permissions
- for guest select read and write

Then try again.
(2014-02-10, 10:38)Starstream Wrote: [ -> ]Have you set guest read/write permissions on the folder

- in DSM to control panel\user, select guest and enable the account
- in DSM go to control panel\shared folder
- pick a folder and select edit then go to permissions
- for guest select read and write

Then try again.
No I have not set guest with read/write permissions (I'm in my day job a Group Information Security Officer, so have to manage security a bit :-)), but I created a user XBMC with pwd with full access, which I than entered both when creating the smb sources. So I expect(ed) that XBMC would use that entered user/pwd to connect to the NAS.

Strangely enough all this works via my PC and windows XBMC (but as my PC has other access paths to NAS, it's not really an identical setup as on Android).

Jan.
Yeah, this is a known issue with android that SMB with u/p doesn't work well, if at all.
I'll take some time to dig into this.
Tried NFS as possible solution, but my Android does not recognize this at all :-(
Hi I am have the same problem with my android device,

i have 3 Ipad's, 1 xbmcbuntu, 3 windows pc's, and i have 3 android devices, all of them have identical setup

smb share + mysql but i only have problem with downloading subtitles to smb share on my android devices

here is log from one of my android device

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=160334
(2014-03-28, 17:07)einarbey Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I am have the same problem with my android device,
Unlikely to be the same problem as reading seems to be fine.
Isn't it just that you down't have write access on those shares, e.g. smb://192.168.16.5/Videos/Tv-Shows/Almost Human/Almost Human Season01/
I have upgraded my Android Matricom box to XBMC Phantom beta2. A great improvement. NFS connection works smoothly, no access problems, subtitles work, ...

Some add-ons do not (yet) work, but all essentials do. I stick for time being to the default skin though, just to be sure.

Have straight after also upgrade my windows version.

Jan P
(2014-03-28, 18:08)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-28, 17:07)einarbey Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I am have the same problem with my android device,
Isn't it just that you down't have write access on those shares, e.g. smb://192.168.16.5/Videos/Tv-Shows/Almost Human/Almost Human Season01/

well it can't be permission issue I am using the same setup on my ipad´s, windows machine, xbmcbuntu and there is works,

it just wont work on my android device, i also change the share permission so everyone has full control still the same
(2014-03-29, 11:27)einarbey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-28, 18:08)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]

well it can't be permission issue I am using the same setup on my ipad´s, windows machine, xbmcbuntu and there is works,

it just wont work on my android device, i also change the share permission so everyone has full control still the same

On my Matricom (Android), I could read via SMB but had no write access. Same SMB on my windows setup worked fine, including write access. Would this not be an Android problem, not XBMC?

Jan P
Sure thing it works for me with linux samba shares.
What samba server are you using?

If Windows, maybe check the event viewer.
this is weird on my server it says everything is fine see log http://pastebin.com/cvetKvAw

but my android device still has access denied when downloading subtitles Confused
(2014-03-29, 20:48)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Sure thing it works for me with linux samba shares.
What samba server are you using?

If Windows, maybe check the event viewer.

I'm running a Synology DS+412.

All is running now NFS without any issue. Haven't tried SMB with latest XBMC beta, as NFS is more efficient anyway (I read somewhere).

Jan P
Pages: 1 2