Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Create a Repository using Self-Hosted Website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title suggests, I am curious if it is possible for me to create a repository based on my own website. If so, how would I go about doing that?
In this situation I would like to create my own self-hosted website and load a bunch of series and movies to it then watch it from my jailbroken Apple TV2. I understand how to make a website, but deleted my last website long ago. I am assuming I would need to create a directory in my Public_HTML folder on my webhost then load videos to that. I suppose the hardest part would be to create a plug-in / repository that XBMC would allow so I could view my videos on my Apple TV...or anyone else for that matter.
XBMC can use a simple HTTP directory as a file source. You can even set up an RSS feed for videos. You wouldn't have to actually write an add-on or do any special server setup.
An RSS feed would be interesting. I may look into that a bit.

However, it is just as easy as adding...say http://www.mymovies.com/a_directory/ and XBMC would actually be able to list what movies I store in there and stream them..?

By doing it that way, is there any way i can distribute it along XBMC? I mean, i wouldnt care if other people wanted to watch whichever movies or series..like The Walking Dead Smile that I post there.
If you can access the directory in a web browser then it should, in theory, list just fine in XBMC. When you go to "add video" sources you just type in the web address starting with http://

I believe you can even use HTTP based log-ins, or even WebDAV (which is based on HTTP), if you ever do want to "lock it down".
Hmmm...excellent. That just made my life a lot easier. Here I am thinking I was going to have to learn another programming language just to make something like that. Would never need to lock it down though. I do a bit of downloading and hate leaving my computer running for Torrent applications as a seeder because I put it to sleep whenever im not using the computer. So hosting my own website would be a way of giving back...even though I doubt many people would ever even find my website. High rankin search engine presence is too time consuming, and a one person team would make extensive video uploading a slow process.

Thank you for the help though!