Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: issue with xbmc and yatse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i live at university (bath, uk) and i am having problems with the yatse app for android with my xbmc set up.

i have xbmc running on a windows 8 pc connected to a tv through HDMI and this works perfectly in my bedroom back home. however its patchy whilst at university. sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont, sometimes only my phone will connect, sometimes only my tablet will connect and sometimes they both will.

i have tried changing the port from 8080, however this does not seem to make a difference. i have also tried restarting a number of times, as well as resetting the winsock entries and TCP/IP stack however neither of these work.

my university runs on an odd system, im told that the server doesnt give out Dynamic IP addresses however they definately arent static either (they will change with a restart daily)

obviously i cant change anything on the server because im not an administrator

just wondered if anybody had a way to get this working, is there another stack or service which i could reset?
What's your wireless strength and/or signal quality like? It could be that, or it could be the way the traffic routes - just because the devices are next to each other doesn't mean the conversation runs halfway around the building, getting lost on the way.

You don't say what OS you're using - guessing at Android since you don't use any iP** brand names! - try WiFi Analyzer from the Play Store. It may be that the airwaves are just really crowded, it may be that a local microwave or similar is interfering in the 2.4GHz band.

Have you got a wired connection for the laptop? That might help. You could also set up your own wireless LAN, I suppose...
wireless strength is good on everything.

im running:
lenovo z580 on windows 8
android 4.42 on nexus 4
android 4.1.2 on samsung galaxy note 10.1

i havent got a wired connection because the university doent allow them for things that "could be wireless" they block laptops from accessing wired.
ive just realised that im getting "error script failed: service.py" when i load xbmc up, how can i stop this?
Depends on what script that is.. debug log would be a start. No immediate reason why it'd work at home but not in halls, though.

You could still throw a wifi zone up using one of your devices... bridging to the campus LAN might be more of a challenge, but is possible.