Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cachemembuffersize not using available RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I make use of Cachemembuffersize and buffermode=1 and readbufferfactor=4.0 . It works well because I can pause and cache fills up making smoother playback.

In Gotham alpha 8 I was able to use 1.5GB cache in RAM fine, I verified by viewing the OSD debug screen that it would fill this cache.

However in these latest nightlies even though I set to 1.5GB ram. It is only using about 750MB.

So what has changed here? My system has 16GB RAM. When under full stress the system uses 4GB of RAM and has 11-12 GB available. I understand xbmc will use 3 times the amount I set but it doesn't even get close to that.

My system has no paging file. And I am not interested to setting the buffercache to 0 because I only have an ssd in the system and don't want xbmc thrashing it.

Any help or trick I could try would be appreciated. Thanks!
Maybe some of you regular users like me could give it a try to double check if the issue only happens to me. That would help to rule out if it is just my setup.

Would appreciate if normal user could spare some time to try, it is an advanced topic requiring modifying config files so can understand if mainstream users don't know how to configure the program as I first described.

Thanks
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when this happens? That will show us how XBMC is reading the advancedsettings.xml file, various playback errors, the protocol used for the video file, etc. Everything seems fine in my own test, but I have the feeling that different network protocols might have different results, especially if it's a bug.
I tried even various local files from normal disk drive to rule out the protocol stuff you mentioned. I tried xbmc on 3 different PC desktop/laptop, all have 16 GB ram and observe the same thing it only fills about 750MB ram.

I guess since you don't get the issue perhaps something is not right with my pcs. Let's see if someone with normal pc setup can confirm. If users don't really use these features too much I guess it is not worth the trouble of figuring out.
I found a much better strategy for my issues with the buffer cache stuff. In short there is no real need to use it, instead focus on the root cause of why you would want to set it so high.
I have the same issue. I set 800MB of Ram, but only 400MB used on codec info. But the thing is on task manager windows, only 170MB are used by Kodi.

More information here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1969341