Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: G-Box Midnight MX2 1080p?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the G-Box Midnight MX2 actually spit out 1080p? I did some research on it it seems all right. On their specs it says "The Special Edition MX2 XBMC runs smoothly with 1080p hardware decoding from local media and your favorite XBMC streaming add-ons."

But most reviews mostly on Youtube says the box only does 720p!!!!!
In XBMC it downscales 1080p to 720 then up scales it back to 1080.

If you want 1080p then you'll either have to use one of the Linux builds (you can find them in the Matricom forum) or wait for the supposed 1080p FW update that is suppose to be coming some time later.
OK thanks Do you personally have that box?
Yes. Sad
Not good?
Matricom is working on a new firmware (v1.1.7) which will bring true 1080p to the device.
(2014-02-18, 19:04)xbmc_man Wrote: [ -> ]Matricom is working on a new firmware (v1.1.7) which will bring true 1080p to the device.

Yeah, but they have been promising that for about 4 months now (they posted their 1080p teaser screenshots back in Oct. 2013) and still the 1.1.7S beta is outputting 720p - upscaled 1080p. So there is no telling when a FW will be put out to actually output 1080p.

Not to mention, they still have a ton of bugs that have not been sorted out from the 1.1.6 FW (and prior), including my biggest bug at this time, improper handshaking which doesn't allow for proper output of DTS/AC3 audio, at least for Denon AVRs, which worked in 1.1.5, but was broke with 1.1.6 and is still a issue with the beta FW.
Besides that how would you guys rate the box overall? I'm thinking of getting it!!!!
Matricom is also on our wall-o-shame for ignoring requests to release their changes to XBMC. A direct violation of our GPLv2 license. All users should avoid them until they comply.
(2014-02-19, 04:12)audiotek Wrote: [ -> ]Besides that how would you guys rate the box overall? I'm thinking of getting it!!!!

I have one and until/unless they fix the existing issues I'd have a hard time recommending one. As mentioned in another thread, my two issues are no true 1080p and a bug where 720p mpeg2 videos go out of sync with the sound - essentially several live TV channels and the recordings from those channels are unwatchable. If xbmc_man is correct and 5.1 surround doesn't work right, then that would be another major issue for me. Unfortunately the first two issues caused me to immediately move the box to the bedroom TV, which is an older 720p TV and no surround sound.

I don't have any other suggestions though - everyone has different requirements, watches different things, and therefore have different experiences. If you don't care about 1080p vs 720p (I doubt you could tell on anything smaller than around 50" screen), don't use a PVR backend, and possibly don't have surround sound, it would be a great box in my experience.

What davilla says rubs me the wrong way a bit. Not because I disagree, but because if true I may have to find a different device instead of possibly buying their quad-core box when it comes out.
(2014-02-20, 23:23)skeptic Wrote: [ -> ]If xbmc_man is correct and 5.1 surround doesn't work right, then that would be another major issue for me. Unfortunately the first two .

That wasn't xbmc_man that said that. Wink

(2014-02-20, 23:23)skeptic Wrote: [ -> ]What davilla says rubs me the wrong way a bit. Not because I disagree, but because if true I may have to find a different device instead of possibly buying their quad-core box when it comes out.

Personally, I would wait until the Ouya 2 is released. It should be much better and from what's being said it may also include a built in IR so that you'll be able to control it with a remote.

And, if it does what it says it does and you don't mind spending $240, the new VidOn.me (now a XBMC sponser) AV200 could be a contender. But for that price, it would be something that I would have to see to believe since you could almost get a NUC for that amount.
I own a Matricom G-box (among many others), and my request for source code has been ignored. Matricom is happy to take but they refuse to give. Not quite what GPLv2 is all about...
(2014-02-21, 00:45)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-20, 23:23)skeptic Wrote: [ -> ]If xbmc_man is correct and 5.1 surround doesn't work right, then that would be another major issue for me. Unfortunately the first two .

That wasn't xbmc_man that said that. Wink
Doh!!
Quote:
(2014-02-20, 23:23)skeptic Wrote: [ -> ]What davilla says rubs me the wrong way a bit. Not because I disagree, but because if true I may have to find a different device instead of possibly buying their quad-core box when it comes out.

Personally, I would wait until the Ouya 2 is released. It should be much better and from what's being said it may also include a built in IR so that you'll be able to control it with a remote.

And, if it does what it says it does and you don't mind spending $240, the new VidOn.me (now a XBMC sponser) AV200 could be a contender. But for that price, it would be something that I would have to see to believe since you could almost get a NUC for that amount.

I was originally going to buy a Ouya, but I forget why I changed my mind and went with the MX2. I'll certainly take a look at the Ouya 2 when it comes out. I looked at the VidOn.me AV200, but for the price I'm just not impressed. If it came with a blu-ray drive like it somewhat implies then maybe. I guess I just find it a bit questionable to market something as an Android Blu-Ray box when it can't actually play Blu-Ray discs. The $99 AV100 seems like a much better deal, but I'd rather wait for the new quad-core offerings from others. I'm also waiting for the new Pivos boxes to see what they can come up with.

From what I'm learning about Matricom I may have to ignore them in the future on principal alone.

At this point I don't need a new box. I have an OpenElec or XBMCbuntu mini-PC working fine for every TV other than the one bedroom TV with the MX2. The main TV also has a ChromeCast dongle, which takes care of the non linux native stuff in a clunky sorta way. While I don't need anything new, I'm still on the lookout for improvements where I can.

I haven't checked in a while, maybe there is a generic Android Stick out there that can run the vanilla Android version of XBMC and meet my other needs? I know, I'm being wishy-washy.