Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does Anyone Do House Calls?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am so upset that I am now not able to figure out what to do because of my body.
I have received a desktop with mint 14 on it and wish to get XBMC to operate on it.

I have played around some with XBMC and now am waiting for Amazon to deliver 3 gigs of ram for this Dell 4600i.
It seems I loaded XBMC software from mint but it says it is missing the drivers I Believe as I am going on memory considering i have unit parked on floor until I get the ram.

With my body all of sudden acting up and I wish for wife and I to get dish gone from payments, I am so ready to get this setup and running.

We have a 2 terabit external drive with many movies and tunes on it and wish to get streaming added to the watching commercials if we have to without paying for them.

In my searching this site i discovered how to change password for mint if i have to get into changes needed.
I found many site that provide streaming on networks on net so I ask do i not NOT get XBMC and just continue to get networks this way or will XBMC be a god send ??

It would be nice to see where to find the shows/programming with a network/programming guide at one place.
Is that with using XBMC ??

One show we MUST watch and DVR if possible is Nascar. Too do any show on DVR would be sweet.
I am so green at doing the workings of a puter (now that my body is messed up) that i can do typing and changing our ram, changing out card, etc..

Is there a XBMC for Dumb DUMMIES ??
Is it a waste of time to try to find someone to come to our home to do what is required, or is it so easy to get this unit setup and i am just being paranoid ??

Is it better to get windows on this machine I speak of ??
Would it be better to re-image with the software made for XBMC that is called _____________ (I forget)..
Do I need a different card to be able to connect to tv besides VGA ??
I also have coming a wireless keyboard/mouse so we can operate from chair.

Help if you can give incite,
signed Lost With Space
wtf?
Definitely wtf. Let me try to help a little:

1. Housecalls... well, I suspect it depends in where you are, and whether anyone is feeling up to it!

2. If you're missing drivers, it's probably graphics-related. It's nothing to do with RAM.

3. Getting free TV channels so you can stop paying isn't something anyone here will be prepared to discuss - unless you're very careful with very specific questions about legitimate (not pirate) sources

4. I have no idea what's wrong with your body, or your wife situation.

5. Yes, XBMC will be perfectly happy playing the stuff on your external drive

6. Yes, XBMC can give you a programming guide in one place, but you'll need a PVR backend and tuners (otherwise, where are the programs coming from...).

7. Windows is only better if you're better at Windows or if there's something you specifically need Windows for - there's nothing inherently "better", each platform is stronger in certain things.

8. I wouldn't recommend using VGA unless you only have low-resolution sources (and, even then, you'll probably ruin the image even further by putting it through a modulator). HDMI is vastly preferable.

Maybe you need to step back and do some more reading... there's a lot of information available if you look.
This made my day.
outstanding some believed this to humor them.
It was meant to and also get the direction I am to proceed in.

Thanks for the time and letting me make at one persons day.

Are the cards much more expensive to get a decent one to output hdmi ?
What would be recommended..

I am just tired of fighting to get something done is all as setting wire is hard to get done.

Isnt there a software like ubantu that is made just for xbmc.
i thought it was to be run off a stick. Memory is going.

Oh about the ram. I thought i read that puter had to have at least 2 so i got a deal for three for $35
I think you're after openelec. 3gb of ram is plenty for OE. as for GPU, a current low end nvidia card (eg 6xx/7xx) will suffice and will have the best linux support.
Probably cheapest option: GeForce GT520
http://www.ebay.com/itm/nVidia-GeForce-G...1234279553

Will do video and hd sound. No problems with drivers.
If noise is a concern get a card with passive cooling (no fan)
(2014-02-19, 03:52)onlyonmonday Wrote: [ -> ]outstanding some believed this to humor them.
It was meant to and also get the direction I am to proceed in.

Thanks for the time and letting me make at one persons day.

Are the cards much more expensive to get a decent one to output hdmi ?
What would be recommended..

I am just tired of fighting to get something done is all as setting wire is hard to get done.

Isnt there a software like ubantu that is made just for xbmc.
i thought it was to be run off a stick. Memory is going.

Oh about the ram. I thought i read that puter had to have at least 2 so i got a deal for three for $35

1'st Your first post was very difficult to read,
and by reading your post, it seems like you haven't done much ground work before posting.

Read the Wiki, browse through the forums, and use the search function.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814500276
that should be fine.

if you don't want to do anything yourself, because of the tiresome "fighting" then don't.
buy a complete system instead, mediabox or buy a SMART TV.
building your own PC, working with Linux, setting up drivers and XBMC will need some time and work.
you could try openelec which runs from a USB flash drive, or install XBMCbuntu, both should get you going right away
Openelec sounds best, as it is really painless to set up.

However, IMHO the OP should read a bit about what XBMC can and cannot do, even if to avoid disappointment.
Not all literature is in ones native language Wink So it may be especially hard to decipher.
I don't think all bold is a native part of any language.
(2014-02-21, 08:42)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think all bold is a native part of any language.

All ALE nickr, he is wearing the XBMC beer shirt and is performing some virgins sacrifice Wink
The guy is probably trolling, if he's not he's a lost cause anyway since he hasn't bothered to do even a minimal amount of investigation beforehand.
Making the very risky assumption that you're genuine and not a troll, you must realise that as helpful as 99% of the people on here are (and trust me, those 99% are super helpful), "is all as setting wire is hard to get done." doesn't make sense in any version of English I'm aware of.

I appreciate that English may not be your first language but if that's the case, I suggest you try and get some help from someone who has a slightly better grasp of it than you do. Big Grin
In all fairness that probably means, "Is a complete setup with wired lan hard to do?

But ya You cant discriminate (or demand) against anyone for having a lack of proficiency in English, but it just take time and patience to get to bottom of what one means.

Then again xbmc has the most international community using it and only English support, even the rules stipulate ""posting in English only for uniformity"" wtf :p, so its is unfair to demand any proficiency level from posters. All you can demand is complete information like debug logs/screenshots etc.

The Forums should have a Non English general support section for these subset of users but the end game is you counting on same Nationality or native speakers to provide support and that is thin and rare as most ppl oroviding Help dont do it in own language. Better off go ask in foreign xbmc communities. Smile

In the end it comes down to this, we can all spend 5 hours providing detailed instructions and answers, but then no one likes to read anything doesnt matter what Nationality you are and especially if you dont uderstand what it is you are being told.
IMO often English native speakers are a fine example of how dammed lazy some are and often you explain same thing in 10 different ways and you probably get called an a**hole for trying.
Pages: 1 2