Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How are ATV2 at performing for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going to get an ATV2 for just media file viewing. Something to upgrade from my WD LIVE box, which can never see my shares constantly.

How are the file formats for an ATV2? I assume they're still 720p? ATV3 is jailbreakable, has anyone had luck with XBMC on it?
I wouldn't get an ATV2/3 unless you really want full/native iOS AirPlay Mirroring support. ATV3 is still not jailbroken, and both really lacks the power that other devices for the same price (or less) will give you.

Some of the best entry-level (price wise) boxes in my book:
  • OUYA (good deal at $100 new or for the common price of $80 for used)
  • the new Celeron NUC ($150-ish, but a lot more power than most boxes at that size/price)
  • ODROID-U3, crazy powerful for an ARM device. Needs case, but even with a case and other accessories, you will be lower than $100. However, shipping is a killer at $25, but even then, it's a good deal.

There are various ARM/Android boxes out there that are also just as good at our less than $100, posted about around the forum.
That celery box looks pretty good! Are there any good guides on how to do the install? Want to link me your favorites ? Smile
installing (wiki)
Last time I checked there were still a lot of issues with the new NUC so I'm not sure if it is the right device for a beginner... But you can check by yourself Smile
Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition)
If you were going to find an ATV2 for $100, thats not horrible.

I wouldn't spend more (which pre jailbroken ones are going for a lot more on ebay).

For more than $100, there are a LOT of other good options.

I've just gotten a rasberry pi, and I'm testing that with a newer frodo build on OpenElec, and so far its working good.

My ATV2s always seem to freak out browsing my library and then crash out to the main apple menu. Thats NOT very wife friendly.

Worked great as i started out, but once my collection grew, it quickly showed it weaknesses.

Still a great little unit, but not for >$100
(2014-02-19, 16:47)00b5 Wrote: [ -> ]If you were going to find an ATV2 for $100, thats not horrible.

I wouldn't spend more (which pre jailbroken ones are going for a lot more on ebay).

For more than $100, there are a LOT of other good options.

I've just gotten a rasberry pi, and I'm testing that with a newer frodo build on OpenElec, and so far its working good.

My ATV2s always seem to freak out browsing my library and then crash out to the main apple menu. Thats NOT very wife friendly.

Worked great as i started out, but once my collection grew, it quickly showed it weaknesses.

Still a great little unit, but not for >$100

How's that rasberry pi? Pretty responsive? How is it with 1080p content? I am not doing any 4k, or 3D stuff, just 1080p 8-18gb blu ray rips.

What remote are you using for the PI?

What's a good remote for the NUC if I get one of those?
Now I have never used the WD Live but I have heard the horror stories about the responsiveness so in other words if you can handle that level of responsiveness they you will be fine with the Rpi. The Rpi can handle 1080p with ease you may need to by the hardware codec licences for some blu-rays (MPEG4 and VC1) but they only a few dollars each.

I would overclock it and use a USB install and a light skin (stock is good), I would recommend the RaspBMC (soon to be LinBMC) distro for it very user friendly and easy to setup.

As for the NUC I personally can't say much, sorry.
I used the Pi for a few months but responsiveness wasn't what I expected from a HTPC. I want to use heavy skins like Aeon MQ or Arctic and this is not really possible with the Pi. The make great progress on the performance and you can use skins like Amber but in the end it was all to slow for me... Regarding the playback: the Pi can handle 1080p pretty well Smile I never had problems and I also played a lot of 3D films with it.

Oh, and you don't need a remote when your TV supports CEC.
I am using a projector mostly, possibly a 60" panny plasma if this works out.

I don't mind spending a few more bucks on a NUC if I can get some seemless interactions, because the WD LIVE is just dog slow...2-3 seconds between some screens. But man, that thing can play anything I throw at it.

I do not know what CUC is, does it just use my receiver remove then? Either NUC or PI build?