Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First HTPC Build - Confused with vast choices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

New to the xbmc forums but have been crawling around in the background for a few weeks. I've recently decided to have a review of my current media solution and I'm just baffled with all the options etc.

Current solution at the moment is a Dune HD53D running Zappiti video jukebox, all data is stored on an 8TB NAS. I currently Airplay from my headless desktop running Win7 iTunes to my amp but this has stopped working recently and I'd like one box to just do everything.

I've been looking at the HTPC Windows Build #5 thread but was wanting to have a second set of eyes glance over my requirements to make sure it would be suitable. Also if it was possible to get a smaller CPU I think 3.3Ghz is overkill for what I need, but I could be wrong.

Requirements:
Run xbmc, iTunes, Sabnzbd and Counchpotato so this limits me with OS and I'd rather stick to Windows if possible so a 60GB SSD will be used to house the OS.
Video Playback 3D 1080p - 3D is Half SBS, Most films are in x.264 mkv format
DTS-HD Audio although not required as most of my movies are just DTS or DD5.1
Wifi not needed as will be running on gigabit LAN.

The HTPC will be stored in my unit under the tv and hidden away with an IR Blaster attached to either a plug in IR or Built in IR and controlled using a Harmony One.

The machine doesn't have to be blazing quick but would like it to run xbmc smoothly so was thinking 4GB RAM should be enough. The machine will also be on 24/7 so don't want it to consume huge amounts of power.

Budget is roughly around £300 GBP.

Many Thanks,
GT
Have a look at the website given in my signature below.
Ok i've been looking for a while and have been struggling to get some bits on the Windows Build 5 here in the UK.

Here is my proposed new build. Just a change of mobo and cpu. Cpu has Intel HD4400 instead of 4000. Does anybody know if this will be ok for my needs?

Now I know people will say thi is overkill but It must be capable of running Win7 smoothly.

Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Socket 1150 7.1-channel Audio Mini-ITX Motherboard - £88.74
Intel Core i3 4130 3.40GHz Socket 1150 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £83.02
Antec ISK 110 Mini ITX Case with VESA Mount - £65.99
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit - CL9 1.5V - £41.99
Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 SSD SATA Rev. 3.0 / 2.5 - £40.00

Total inc vat: £319.74