Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can the 2820 handle smooth HD playback from web sources, like streaming video running in Silverlight or Netflix? My current Atom based mediacenter stutters like crazy, because it can't HW decode Silverlight streams, so was wondering if the 2820 can do it, or if I need to go for the i3 based 34010 with the extra CPU horsepower?
The 2820 don't like Silverlight in HD http://www.computerbase.de/2014-02/intel...il-test/4/
Thought as much. I'll be spending the big bucks instead.

Another thing. I'm a bit fearful of only having a HDMI output for sound. I have had nothing but issues with my current setup with HDMI to my Denon receiver before I sent the sound via S/PDIF instead and HDMI directly to the TV.

It was like the HDMI handshake between the receiver and PC often didn't work, leaving me to have to reboot to get a picture again.
Is this an issue that people are having a alot with the NUC's?
You can go with ZBOX instead, it has a mini-Toslink http://geizhals.de/zotac-zbox-ci320-nano...23321.html
Do Zotac make anything in the NUC 34010 price range that has a proper CPU for Silverlight/Netflix etc decoding?
(2014-08-04, 11:03)djon Wrote: [ -> ]Thought as much. I'll be spending the big bucks instead.

Another thing. I'm a bit fearful of only having a HDMI output for sound. I have had nothing but issues with my current setup with HDMI to my Denon receiver before I sent the sound via S/PDIF instead and HDMI directly to the TV.

It was like the HDMI handshake between the receiver and PC often didn't work, leaving me to have to reboot to get a picture again.
Is this an issue that people are having a alot with the NUC's?

You can do try Pin 19 trick - it basically deactivates communication between HDCP/HDMI host / client regarding on/off/sleep etc. In practice this should mean that there is no need for new handshaking after power off / sleep etc. It takes about a minute to apply, and about 2 seconds to undo.

The DN2820FYKH has no problem handling netflix streams through Win8 metro app - I have yet to see any stuttering @ "UltraHD" bitrates (1080p, 6000kbit+). It does, however, have a PAP (Protected Audio Path) issue. This might have been resolved by now - I'm unable to check as I've fallen back to an older, non-HDMI receiver.What this basically means, is that DTS-HD bitstream, and Netflix multichannel audio bitstreams won't work properly over HDMI.

Personally I worked around this audio/DHCP issue with a $15 USB 5.1 analog + SPDIF output ( I got mine here - I'm sure you'll find it on ebay but might be more difficult to confirm the chipset (Same as Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II). http://tinyurl.com/pcgsrm8 ). Works fine, even for Netflix. Won't do DTS-HD though, but for me my current AVreciever can only handle the DTS core anyway. There is always the option software decoding to analog outputs, but I'm not sure where XBMC is atm, on full DTS-HD/MA software decoding. Dolby TrueHD is fine though.

I have not experienced the Silverlight issues portrayed in the linked article - your milage may vary. Please note that the DN2820FYKH was barely out of the factory when that review was done. A lot have changed since then - OpenELEC, XBMC, NuC drivers & bios/UEFI - even hardware revisions.

This celeron nuc was never meant to be an overall workhorse. After all, Its a dirt-cheap fullworthy bare-bone celeron computer. It can hardly be matched given the price tag, but you can't expect the world at the price of a small city Wink It can easily handle light to moderate work, browsing etc etc - but where it shines is AV media. This is down to broad video hardware acceleration, not "brute force". If you want "Software rendering" for these things, you better be prepared to pony up 4-5x ++ the cost. That route might be both simpler and cheaper if you steer clear of NuCs all together
(2014-08-04, 12:26)djon Wrote: [ -> ]Do Zotac make anything in the NUC 34010 price range that has a proper CPU for Silverlight/Netflix etc decoding?

sure, http://geizhals.de/?cat=barepc&xf=3345_2...tel#xf_top
(2014-08-04, 10:35)-DDD- Wrote: [ -> ]The 2820 don't like Silverlight in HD http://www.computerbase.de/2014-02/intel...il-test/4/

Can anyone that have actually experienced this issue (within the last 1-2 months) - post their setup? Memory, OS, Browser etc. Sounds like silverlight might not be facilitating hardware acceleration, although I see little signe of this being the case when retesting all 3 playback options today.

I have seen no sign of skipping with the Win 8.x netflix app, none when streaming Netflix HD contents in Chrome through HTML5, and rarly anything but smooth playback in same scenario when going through Silverlight. 4GB memory on Win8.1pro here, XBMC and other stuff running in background.
I bought a 2820 from Internet and I'm waiting for it. I'm planning to install W8.1 and XBMC and watch 1080p mkv"s. One thing I didn't understand properly. to control the xbmc there is a builtin IR receiver in box but I don't have any powerful remote control unit like logitech harmony etc. Should I buy one? Can I not use any generic remote controller like TV's?
RC6 protocol remotes or Harmony will work.
Search the forum there's a topic about remotes for the NUC.
If you're not sure about your preferences when it comes to navigating XBMC - I suggest you give the Lenovo MCE remote a try (an example here: http://tinyurl.com/nmtjmov ) - can be had for ~$8 USD incl shipping. Its a quite decent MCE remote, with surprisingly good build quality and feel. It doesn't light up, but ...its $8, very functional and feels "right" in the hand.

It is after all a computer, so I suggest complimenting it with a RF or bluetooth keyboard. Personally I got one with a trackball, as pointer is integrated but it makes the whole thing smaller than a touchpad would have done.

If you find that you like the remote action, but want to expand - you can always get a Harmony or similar. If not - you have a remote that works with XBMC (and lots of other stuff), and spent less than $10.
(2014-08-01, 21:33)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone running Windows 8.x, confimed getting the N2830 chip yet? Wondering if there is there has been some progress on DTS-HD streaming (and thus other audio over HDMI requiring HDCP).

Intel has not released the 2830 iteration to distribution at this point.

https://communities.intel.com/message/245945#245945
(2014-08-05, 23:58)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]If you're not sure about your preferences when it comes to navigating XBMC - I suggest you give the Lenovo MCE remote a try (an example here: http://tinyurl.com/nmtjmov ) - can be had for ~$8 USD incl shipping. Its a quite decent MCE remote, with surprisingly good build quality and feel. It doesn't light up, but ...its $8, very functional and feels "right" in the hand.

It is after all a computer, so I suggest complimenting it with a RF or bluetooth keyboard. Personally I got one with a trackball, as pointer is integrated but it makes the whole thing smaller than a touchpad would have done.

If you find that you like the remote action, but want to expand - you can always get a Harmony or similar. If not - you have a remote that works with XBMC (and lots of other stuff), and spent less than $10.

The Lenovo remote looks good, but aren't remotes supposed to be BLACK!

This one would be MUCH easier to find down the back of the black leather sofa.
(2014-08-07, 03:52)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]The Lenovo remote looks good, but aren't remotes supposed to be BLACK!

This one would be MUCH easier to find down the back of the black leather sofa.
True indeed, says my black leather sofa.

When I first bought this one, I remember seeing it in black or dark gray - but I can't find it now... O_o Only 'black' I found was an extremely similar looking one, but a BT unit designed for Lenovo media desktops, with no reported success of using with non-lenovo units.
I heard that some skins doesn`t work flawlessy with NUC. My favorite skin is ReFocus. Is there anyone already tried this? or which skins are more responsive? any thoughts?