Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks. Yeah it is hd ready rather than full hd.

I tried what you suggested and it didn't change anything on screen (other than display flicking off then on). Aspect ratio still wrong...
What do you mean 'aspect ratio wrong'? What are you actually seeing?
(2014-11-01, 19:27)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean 'aspect ratio wrong'? What are you actually seeing?
I mean the xbmc display on screen is 'zoomed in' - menus are chopped off the screen etc. It defaults to a zoomed in aspect ratio.
Typical Over / Underscan issue. Set your TV to "Just Scan" or "Fixed" or something.
Yeah i do have to keep setting it to just scan but it doesn't keep that setting for the nuc when I switch sources unfortunately. If nothing I can do about it that's pretty annoying.
That is a function of your TV. Nothing to do with xbmc. Try a different HDMI input, but most TVs this setting 'sticks'.

Or Google your TV model and overscan.
Anyone who is interested in purchasing the Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, I just bought one from Newegg on 10/28 for 124.99 and received it yesterday (10/31). I setup Openelec on it and when I went to hardware, under system info, the CPU is saying Intel Celeron CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz, so it looks like Newegg is selling the new N2830 model. Looking at the bottom of the NUC the number on the serial number sticker is SA H22962-103, which from an Intel forum post, that number is the new version.

(2014-11-01, 12:03)flekz Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone have issues with this device running through an av receiver?

It's fine if I run the hdmi direct to tv but if I run it to my onkyo sr308 receiver the tv displays 'mode not supported' with no picture/no audio?

Nope, have had zero issues with this NUC. Everything I have thrown at it it has played, and I am hooked into an Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver.
Try to see if you can pass True-HD in windows on this 2830 version of NUC...
Mine is also the N2830, from amazon uk, although they list it as N2820
Unless there is an Intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) driver, PAP (protected audio path) on windows wont work which means bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-MA wont work. Since the 2830 is just a processor revision and there are no new drivers, I would say you've got buckleys chance of it working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Activ...Technology

IMO the "problem" is that the Celeron NUC platform does not have an Management Engine device/chip/capability at all, and thus no MEI driver, and since the MEI driver is also required to enable certain DRM aspects of protected audio/video path and windows enforces/cares about such things it will never work. At least for those who really want bitstreaming HD codecs from these models, they can use a non windows OS I guess.

In my case since I prefer to run windows, I have a i3 model (4010) in the media room that DOES have MEI and thus is bitstreaming the HD audio to my receiver etc... then I have the Celeron models in loungeroom and bedrooms where there isn't a HD capable receiver or surround speakers etc anyway, thus bitstreaming of HD codecs isn't required. If I ever did want bitstream HD in those rooms though, I would switch to openelec
This device may will be wake up from usb keyboard or mouse?
(2014-11-02, 18:43)dwane3 Wrote: [ -> ]This device may will be wake up from usb keyboard or mouse?
From what power state? AFAIK, for S3 the answer is yes.
sleep..
(2014-11-02, 11:12)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]Unless there is an Intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) driver, PAP (protected audio path) on windows wont work which means bitstreaming TrueHD and DTS-MA wont work. Since the 2830 is just a processor revision and there are no new drivers, I would say you've got buckleys chance of it working.

PAP/MEI is a legacy method of protecting audio in Windows. It's possible Intel could implement the same thing using a newer baytrail compatible standard such as "Intel Trusted Execution Engine" (IntelĀ® TXE).

There are some reports of DTS-HD passthrough working in Windows for people with the ECS Liva (see newegg reviews and Anandtech review). That box uses a newer C0 stepping N2807 so maybe that is also required.

Can someone test with the latest drivers found here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/56467

If that doesn't work, maybe also test these older NUC specific ones:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldID=24224
Just updated to OpenELEC 4.95.1. Helix Beta 1 last night and i'm getting remote key presses issues.
It's like the NUC pauses/hangs for one or two seconds but keeps registering key presses on the remote and then executes them all in a quick sequence.
Really weird...

Anyone seeing this on OE 4.95.1.?