Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-01-29, 20:06)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone comment on the actual real power consumption of this in normal operation (eg running a 1080p video in xbmc?)

I have been looking at the Intel based STB in the other thread which boasts a tiny 5v 2a PSU which suggest draw is minimal on that so would be interested to hear what this actually draws.

10.2 watts 1080p HD-Audio with Openelec.
(2014-01-30, 01:27)mhaaland Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-29, 20:06)Swifty Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone comment on the actual real power consumption of this in normal operation (eg running a 1080p video in xbmc?)

I have been looking at the Intel based STB in the other thread which boasts a tiny 5v 2a PSU which suggest draw is minimal on that so would be interested to hear what this actually draws.

Hi,

Can you describe the setup? HDD/USB/SSD/mSATA/..., RAM, other devices, ...

Kind regards.
(2014-01-29, 16:52)joelbaby Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-29, 03:27)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I ran the full Benchmark on my DN2820FYKH and uploaded.
1. CPU Mark : 1083
2. 2D Graphics Mark 232.1
Is that good or bad ?

Thank you for running the tests. From this we find that this chip is slightly faster than the Celeron 847 found in the DCCP847DYE NUC

Celeron 847 had a 2D Graphics Mark around 150.

The Celeron NUC was very popular on this forum before, so this does make an interesting alternative because of the in-built IR sensor. Also it uses less power.

2D 1080p playback, and 3D SBS obviously won't be a problem. Will have to wait and see if it can do Hi10P and Frame Packed 3D.

Can anyone confirm this??

I want this for lag free xbmc with a good skin like aeon nox. I'm playing 1080p mkv, 1080 3D sbs mkv.

Also, I would like to use sickbeard, couch potato and sabnzb (or nzbget) if possible.

Not sure if this one is powerful enough, or I need to go for the i3 model
(2014-01-30, 01:34)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-30, 01:27)mhaaland Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi,

Kind regards.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard. K400
4 gb Crucial Ram. CT51264BF160B
Vertex 2 SSD 60gb
GB Lan

(2014-01-30, 01:47)ThaDraGun Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-29, 16:52)joelbaby Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-29, 03:27)SgtSlaughter Wrote: [ -> ]Ok I ran the full Benchmark on my DN2820FYKH and uploaded.
1. CPU Mark : 1083
2. 2D Graphics Mark 232.1
Is that good or bad ?

Thank you for running the tests. From this we find that this chip is slightly faster than the Celeron 847 found in the DCCP847DYE NUC

Celeron 847 had a 2D Graphics Mark around 150.

The Celeron NUC was very popular on this forum before, so this does make an interesting alternative because of the in-built IR sensor. Also it uses less power.

2D 1080p playback, and 3D SBS obviously won't be a problem. Will have to wait and see if it can do Hi10P and Frame Packed 3D.

Can anyone confirm this??

I want this for lag free xbmc with a good skin like aeon nox. I'm playing 1080p mkv, 1080 3D sbs mkv.

Also, I would like to use sickbeard, couch potato and sabnzb (or nzbget) if possible.

Not sure if this one is powerful enough, or I need to go for the i3 model

Running Openelec with MQ5 with many addons is very smooth. No lag. 1080p with HD audio is perfect. How do I check for 23.974 playback without frame drops? Will test more file types tonight.
Managed to get around the no boot device message, latest build of openelec works. Did a bios default reset and it magically worked from there onwards.

Anyone else finding the menus/main skin a little unresponsive? Video is only set to 64mb in the bios, wondering whether increasing this would improve the performance significantly. My acer revo seems much snappier in comparison.

Also, anyone gotten their mce remotes to turn the unit on/off?
Hi all. First post! Joined specifically to discuss this NUC and the (current) issues with it.

I received mine yesterday, and excitedly unpacked it and set it up with 4Gb of Crucial RAM and a 60Gb Intel SSD. I plugged it all in pressed the on button and got to the BIOS.

Man what an absolutely broken BIOS that one is! Basically it wouldn't do anything - wouldn't recognise a USB or the SSD! Luckily they had included an orange warning note in the package that suggested upgrading the BIOS ASAP. So once I'd figured out how to do that (not as straightforward as it would seem) I flashed the new BIOS and plugged in a bootable Ubuntu 13.10 USB stick and that reassuring purple glow welcomed me! Unfortunately the system then promptly crashed. Eventually I booted into the live Ubuntu and installed the OS from there and it made it to completion.

So now I have an OS. But bluetooth and wifi wouldn't work and 1080p resolution doesn't seem to exist?!

I though maybe I'd have a play with the BIOS settings again to see if that will help... but now when I try to press F2 to enter the BIOS... nothing. Just a very long hang and then a reboot!

That was enough fun for one evening! haha! I have to say I love the form factor and I'm sure things will get better with another new BIOS and some support from Intel - but wow - I have set up a few PCs from scratch in my time and never had to mess around quite so much as I have with this one!

Has anyone else experienced the inability to access the BIOS? Has anyone got bluetooth working in Ubuntu?
(2014-01-30, 01:53)mhaaland Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-30, 01:34)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-30, 01:27)mhaaland Wrote: [ -> ]10.2 watts 1080p HD-Audio with Openelec.

Hi,

Kind regards.

Logitech Wireless Keyboard. K400
4 gb Crucial Ram. CT51264BF160B
Vertex 2 SSD 60gb
GB Lan

Thanks for the info.

That seems a bit high to me, compared with the <10w power consumption of the Haswell i5 NUC.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1373-page4.html

The Haswell i5 is a 15w TDP CPU, while the N2820 is a 7.5w TDP.
(2014-01-29, 17:15)gulo101 Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question guys - would 2 GB RAM be enough to run Openelec ?

I'm currently running 2GB right now and it's snappy. I have the video set to 512MB via the bios.

Using my NUC as a media extender running Openelec with WMC running on my htpc and ServerWMC. So far it works great.
Could someone with Windows installed on this NUC run CPU-Z then use Tools to save report as text file and then paste the contents of the resulting text file to http://pastebin.com/

I'm particularly interested in what Instruction set's the processor supports as Openelec for example allows software processing of interlaced video where SSE4.1 is supported.
Come on guys please post if this NUC can play 3d movies (MVC) or iso without shutter or frame drops??
It's five minutes from your time
Can someone with openelec installed and a display supporting 24hz post the output of xbmc-xrandr? (I believe this should be sufficient to check the 23.976 handling.)
(2014-01-30, 15:32)theMule Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone with openelec installed and a display supporting 24hz post the output of xbmc-xrandr? (I believe this should be sufficient to check the 23.976 handling.)

Can somone tell me what the "23.976 handling" is about? Is it only an isue with linux OS or also with windows?
(2014-01-30, 15:54)Cordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-30, 15:32)theMule Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone with openelec installed and a display supporting 24hz post the output of xbmc-xrandr? (I believe this should be sufficient to check the 23.976 handling.)

Can somone tell me what the "23.976 handling" is about? Is it only an isue with linux OS or also with windows?

It's a hardware issue. Most films are encoded at 23.976fps instead of 24.00fps. Older intel graphics implementations could not output exactly 23.976Hz (but rather end up with something like 23.971Hz) , and therefore one gets periodic frame skips in order to stay in sync.

This is definitely fixed in haswell integrated graphics, which can output ~exactly 23.976Hz (so eg the i3/i5 haswell NUC's are fine). The Bay Trail/Silvermont in principle uses an older Ivy Bridge based graphics core, but it's possible they've also solved the issue with small updates here. (At least no one has checked yet as far as I am aware.)
(2014-01-30, 15:58)theMule Wrote: [ -> ]It's a hardware issue. Most films are encoded at 23.976fps instead of 24.00fps. Older intel graphics implementations could not output exactly 23.976Hz (but rather end up with something like 23.971Hz) , and therefore one gets periodic frame skips in order to stay in sync.

This is definitely fixed in haswell integrated graphics, which can output ~exactly 23.976Hz (so eg the i3/i5 haswell NUC's are fine). The Bay Trail/Silvermont in principle uses an older Ivy Bridge based graphics core, but it's possible they've also solved the issue with small updates here. (At least no one has checked yet as far as I am aware.)

I too would like to know if this chipset suffers from this issue as well. I wonder if the clock speed of the cpu being 2.39Ghz (maybe 2.3976Ghz) was deliberate to be a multiple of 23.976fps.

Anyways, any information from the people who have this model would be great!
(2014-01-30, 17:15)DaveTOR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-30, 15:58)theMule Wrote: [ -> ]It's a hardware issue. Most films are encoded at 23.976fps instead of 24.00fps. Older intel graphics implementations could not output exactly 23.976Hz (but rather end up with something like 23.971Hz) , and therefore one gets periodic frame skips in order to stay in sync.

I too would like to know if this chipset suffers from this issue as well. I wonder if the clock speed of the cpu being 2.39Ghz (maybe 2.3976Ghz) was deliberate to be a multiple of 23.976fps.

Anyways, any information from the people who have this model would be great!

So if You overclock it will drop frames Rofl Don't think it has to do with the clock on the cpu