Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What Hz you set at? That can be a factor too.
(2014-02-05, 16:12)falc410 Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some samples: http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

Even though I have no idea what bitrate those files have, since I'm at work currently.

I know this is not a thread for i3, i5 NUC but anyway.
I have tested those files on i5 haswell.
Any of 720p produces up to 10 dropped frames in the first few seconds and after is flawless.
1080p produces up to 60 dropped frames in the first few seconds and after everything is OK.
I think those dropped frames right at the beginning are fine. I knew the i5 (and 99% sure the i3 too) would have no problems with those files.

Even the old Celeron NUC played most of the Hi10p content and this one should be slightly faster. Since it should work for like 90% of my content I think it's the better choice because the i3 is at least 100€ more expensive than the Celeron one.

I also hope that it's a improvement over my AMD E-350 speed wise when navigating the menu's. It was already stated on Page 30 that it seems to best fast enough to handle Aeon Nox without problems.
So I believe that non anime watching people shoulde be fine even with N2820 (perf. level little bit higher than Celeron 847) - at least with Windows as for today.
Ok well.. I updated to the latest OpenELEC snapshot as of 6 February, found at:

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Ge...7447e4.tar

And can confirm that all my choppy playback with these high bitrate files no longer exists. Things play back much more smoothly. My CPU no longer maxes out to 100% during playback. Seems like it was definitely a driver issue then.

To confirm this, i went back to my last OpenELEC version from Jan 25 and experienced all the problems i described in my previous post. When i re-upgraded to the latest snapshot linked above, my files play back just as smoothly as they do on my i3. CPU cores sit at around 10-15% during playback. The NUC plays back all the 55+ bitrate JellyFish test files without dropping frames, and not surprisingly, now breezes through all my once problematic high bitrate rips (including untouched BluRay ISO's during my initial test now).

Very pleased indeed to see this issue can, and has been resolved in a software update. I'm sure we'll see even more improvements as further updates are released.

PS: The jellyfish test files can be found at http://jell.yfish.us/

IMHO, The only "issue" OpenELEC users will experience now is the inability to put the NUC to sleep/suspend. I'm sure this will get resolved in time. Probably not a deal breaker for most, as boot times only take about 20-30 seconds, even with wait for network to be ready checked in OpenELEC.
(2014-02-06, 09:59)falc410 Wrote: [ -> ]I think those dropped frames right at the beginning are fine. I knew the i5 (and 99% sure the i3 too) would have no problems with those files.

Even the old Celeron NUC played most of the Hi10p content and this one should be slightly faster. Since it should work for like 90% of my content I think it's the better choice because the i3 is at least 100€ more expensive than the Celeron one.

I also hope that it's a improvement over my AMD E-350 speed wise when navigating the menu's. It was already stated on Page 30 that it seems to best fast enough to handle Aeon Nox without problems.

I'll be testing the files mentioned earlier very shortly (downloading now). Will update this post with my results. I'm running Windows 8.1 so we'll see what happens.
Hi!

I went to bed at 2AM to test my NUC... Most of my problems were with the firmware update. The NUC, with the stock firmware, didn't work on my main monitor at home. Lots of giberish on screen. I had to take it to the living room LCD to update the firmware. After the firmware/BIOS update, everything went smooth in that respect.

I'm yet to test the sound output via HDMI. OpenELEC (from lastnight) installed ok, but only booted after some fiddling with the BIOS settings - turning off UEFI if I remember correctly.

I tested with 25Gb mkv file on my NAS. The movie opened instantly and I could seek to various parts of the movie almost instantly as well. All good then. Smile

The fan noise bugs me a *lot*. Does anyone know how to turn off the fan, at least put it in a low rpm state? Sad Sad
Anyone know when the i3 version will be released??
i3 is Haswell, not Bay Trail/Silvermont so answer is probably: never (unless Intel decides to play with the naming again). For i3, Haswell based NUC see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC (D34010WYK and D34010WYKH)
(2014-02-06, 10:17)invision Wrote: [ -> ]Ok well.. I updated to the latest OpenELEC snapshot as of 6 February, found at:

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Ge...7447e4.tar

And can confirm that all my choppy playback with these high bitrate files no longer exists. Things play back much more smoothly. My CPU no longer maxes out to 100% during playback. Seems like it was definitely a driver issue then.

To confirm this, i went back to my last OpenELEC version from Jan 25 and experienced all the problems i described in my previous post. When i re-upgraded to the latest snapshot linked above, my files play back just as smoothly as they do on my i3. CPU cores sit at around 10-15% during playback. The NUC plays back all the 55+ bitrate JellyFish test files without dropping frames, and not surprisingly, now breezes through all my once problematic high bitrate rips (including untouched BluRay ISO's during my initial test now).

Very pleased indeed to see this issue can, and has been resolved in a software update. I'm sure we'll see even more improvements as further updates are released.

PS: The jellyfish test files can be found at http://jell.yfish.us/

IMHO, The only "issue" OpenELEC users will experience now is the inability to put the NUC to sleep/suspend. I'm sure this will get resolved in time. Probably not a deal breaker for most, as boot times only take about 20-30 seconds, even with wait for network to be ready checked in OpenELEC.

Has XBMC menu navigation improved at all? It was laggy under that particular build (Jan 25) for me, with the Revo 3700 outperforming it. Don't have access to the NUC i setup for a family member until the weekend to test it.
(2014-02-06, 15:28)bogchop Wrote: [ -> ]Has XBMC menu navigation improved at all? It was laggy under that particular build (Jan 25) for me, with the Revo 3700 outperforming it. Don't have access to the NUC i setup for a family member until the weekend to test it.

Im very interested to know if the menu naviagtion and UI experience in general has improved as well. If this NUC gets to a no-lag state in various themes, Ill be all over it.
(2014-02-06, 15:58)mr plow Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 15:28)bogchop Wrote: [ -> ]Has XBMC menu navigation improved at all? It was laggy under that particular build (Jan 25) for me, with the Revo 3700 outperforming it. Don't have access to the NUC i setup for a family member until the weekend to test it.

Im very interested to know if the menu naviagtion and UI experience in general has improved as well. If this NUC gets to a no-lag state in various themes, Ill be all over it.

Could someone post a video showing some navigation in xbmc, with 100+ videos in library, on this NUC?
(2014-02-06, 17:26)Cordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 15:58)mr plow Wrote: [ -> ]

Could someone post a video showing some navigation in xbmc, with 100+ videos in library, on this NUC?

Might get a chance this evening. Will post later if possible.
(2014-02-07, 05:58)bogchop Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 17:26)Cordo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-06, 15:58)mr plow Wrote: [ -> ]Im very interested to know if the menu naviagtion and UI experience in general has improved as well. If this NUC gets to a no-lag state in various themes, Ill be all over it.

Might get a chance this evening. Will post later if possible.

That would be really awesome if you were able to do that! If you do, please show aeon nox skin.
Thanks

Oh, and maybe at the end update the library and watch video at the same time. My xios can't do that without some playback issues. Too much going on at once I think..
I just got home and the first thing I did with my Baytrail was update the Visual Bios.

BIG Mistake. The BIOS screen will not come up after updating and I am left with a brick.
I hate my dn2820fyk NUC I wish I never spent money on it.
Intel got me good on this one.

BEWARE

I had alignment issues with the video on EVERY tv I hooked it up on also.

STAY AWAY.