Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-02-19, 21:12)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-19, 18:46)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ][...] Lesson learned: be aware when plugging in USB Hubs into the NUC.. perhaps it was draining too much power and the processor went to a crawl, once the Windows drivers activated it..
Is this a issue currently present? If so - do you happen to have a powered USB hub you could test with?

I don't really have any USB hubs at home other than this old iMac keyboard.. I'm not sure what characteristic of that keyboard created this issue.. I did read some about it, and recall reading RasberryPi folks having power issues specifically when plugging in USB hubs.. that's what gave me the idea that it might be the HUB in the keyboard causing the issue.. but this is merely a guess.. A regular PC USB keyboard worked fine.. and the iMac mouse that I had plugged into the iMac keyboard worked fine when I plugged it directly into the NUC.. I will say that OpenELEC had no problems with the iMac keyboard.. though I don't think I ever plugged the matching mouse into the keyboard's USB socket when running OpenELEC.. Also, the NUC's visual bios seemed to work fine w/ the iMac Keyboard/Mouse last night.. it was just when Win8.1 was firing up that it slowed to molasses..
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that purchased one of these NUC's before I managed to get mine as the information provided was helpful in getting mine set up. Smile

I ended following the guide from openelec.tv (http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation...fykh#96552) and was able to get the device up and running within 30 minutes after making sure I got the BIOS and all the other settings configured. (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23606/en...ll_v02.pdf)

If anyone has any questions I can try and help out but so far so good with the device. All my video files load properly and I got my library loaded from mySQL with no issues.
(2014-02-19, 16:00)sparklemotion Wrote: [ -> ]@ Speedst3r, do you have a slow down in menus after the NUC has been idle for a while? Menus become unusable after a while for me. Just curious if you're seeing the same thing.

Mine doesn't stay idle Smile

I shut it down when turning the receiver/projector off. It boots long before the projector warms up when I go to watch something on it.
Ok.. I apologize.. I must have spoken too soon.. The NUC worked fast all day long.. then I rebooted it and it was dog slow again.. with or without USB devices plugged into it.. I can't figure it out.. windows 8.1 just isn't happy on this guy for me.. I'll kick off windows updates and head to bed.. hope for the best in the morning..

PLEASE let me know if you have any ideas to solve this issue..

(2014-02-19, 23:10)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-19, 21:12)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-19, 18:46)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ][...] Lesson learned: be aware when plugging in USB Hubs into the NUC.. perhaps it was draining too much power and the processor went to a crawl, once the Windows drivers activated it..
Is this a issue currently present? If so - do you happen to have a powered USB hub you could test with?

I don't really have any USB hubs at home other than this old iMac keyboard.. I'm not sure what characteristic of that keyboard created this issue.. I did read some about it, and recall reading RasberryPi folks having power issues specifically when plugging in USB hubs.. that's what gave me the idea that it might be the HUB in the keyboard causing the issue.. but this is merely a guess.. A regular PC USB keyboard worked fine.. and the iMac mouse that I had plugged into the iMac keyboard worked fine when I plugged it directly into the NUC.. I will say that OpenELEC had no problems with the iMac keyboard.. though I don't think I ever plugged the matching mouse into the keyboard's USB socket when running OpenELEC.. Also, the NUC's visual bios seemed to work fine w/ the iMac Keyboard/Mouse last night.. it was just when Win8.1 was firing up that it slowed to molasses..
(2014-02-20, 04:50)Speedst3r Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-19, 16:00)sparklemotion Wrote: [ -> ]@ Speedst3r, do you have a slow down in menus after the NUC has been idle for a while? Menus become unusable after a while for me. Just curious if you're seeing the same thing.

Mine doesn't stay idle Smile

I shut it down when turning the receiver/projector off. It boots long before the projector warms up when I go to watch something on it.

Ok. Do you use a bluetooth remote? On boot up it takes about 60 seconds to find my PS3 remote. PlexELEC on my other i3 NUC finds it within a few seconds. The PS3 remote blinks as if it's become disconnected. My uninformed theory is that the OpenELEC config panel/bluetooth is an older version than what the nightly OpenELEC is using and possibly incompatible.

Thanks again for the build!
(2014-02-18, 20:11)calisto Wrote: [ -> ]Any chance of an upload of this i,age you made please?

Thanks
Calisto

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0s3c731d7qwb2...218.tar.gz

(2014-02-20, 06:31)sparklemotion Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. Do you use a bluetooth remote? On boot up it takes about 60 seconds to find my PS3 remote. PlexELEC on my other i3 NUC finds it within a few seconds. The PS3 remote blinks as if it's become disconnected. My uninformed theory is that the OpenELEC config panel/bluetooth is an older version than what the nightly OpenELEC is using and possibly incompatible.

I use an IR remote (Logitech Harmony One). You may be onto something there, all I did from Mark's 3.2.4 builds is bump the kernel, Intel graphics driver (xf86-video-intel) and acceleration library (libva). Bluetooth is the same as OpenELEC stable. I may take a look at bumping that this weekend then.
(2014-02-20, 06:26)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.. I apologize.. I must have spoken too soon.. The NUC worked fast all day long.. then I rebooted it and it was dog slow again.. with or without USB devices plugged into it.. I can't figure it out.. windows 8.1 just isn't happy on this guy for me.. I'll kick off windows updates and head to bed.. hope for the best in the morning..

Any processes in task manager hogging CPU? I had to disable Windows Defender.

I've been running 8.1 on mine for nearly a week now, my only issue is that the fan occasionally seems to run at 100% without much load and the case is cool to the touch Confused
Hello everyone,

I install on the new 0025 BIOS on my DN2820. No problem on this side.
But, When I tried to install multiple open Elec version (Stable 3.2.4, Intel, last nightly, x86-64, i386, etc.) and I still have this same problem ...

The homescreen elec happens, I choose install elec and this error appears each time:

cp: can not stat '/ flash / SYSTEM: No such file or directory
Error in prepare_sysroot / mount common: Could not mount / dev / SYSTEM '

I tried with bios by default configs, and one recommended by Intel for Open elec.
I tried disabling my IR, my Lan, etc..

Nothing works.

hard drive can be responsible ?

Thank a lot

Adrien
I just received a delivery notification for my DN2820FYKHs which states they are due for delivery tomorrow from TranquilPC.
(2014-02-20, 08:19)Speedst3r Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-18, 20:11)calisto Wrote: [ -> ]Any chance of an upload of this i,age you made please?

Thanks
Calisto

(2014-02-20, 06:31)sparklemotion Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. Do you use a bluetooth remote? On boot up it takes about 60 seconds to find my PS3 remote. PlexELEC on my other i3 NUC finds it within a few seconds. The PS3 remote blinks as if it's become disconnected. My uninformed theory is that the OpenELEC config panel/bluetooth is an older version than what the nightly OpenELEC is using and possibly incompatible.

I use an IR remote (Logitech Harmony One). You may be onto something there, all I did from Mark's 3.2.4 builds is bump the kernel, Intel graphics driver (xf86-video-intel) and acceleration library (libva). Bluetooth is the same as OpenELEC stable. I may take a look at bumping that this weekend then.

Thx man, looking forward to it!
(2014-02-20, 08:19)Speedst3r Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks
Calisto

Thanks for this, have now got it sitting on my PC hard drive waiting for my NUC to turn up from Tranquil, which looks like it will be tomorrow Big Grin
(2014-02-20, 08:38)Bigjezza Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-20, 06:26)kyoo Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.. I apologize.. I must have spoken too soon.. The NUC worked fast all day long.. then I rebooted it and it was dog slow again.. with or without USB devices plugged into it.. I can't figure it out.. windows 8.1 just isn't happy on this guy for me.. I'll kick off windows updates and head to bed.. hope for the best in the morning..

Any processes in task manager hogging CPU? I had to disable Windows Defender.

I've been running 8.1 on mine for nearly a week now, my only issue is that the fan occasionally seems to run at 100% without much load and the case is cool to the touch Confused

Unfortunately, no.. The CPU is actually mostly idle.. its just every thing is in SLOW MOTION.. It strikes me as really odd that it installed at full speed, and openeelec works at full speed.. and I even had one or two boots of win8.1 at full speed (in between lots of slow boots)..

I wonder if my Dell flavored LITEONIT LCS-256M6S 256gb SSD is to blame.. I didn't involve it when using OpenElec.. I checked and it appears to have the very latest firmware on it offered by Dell..

Any ideas on things I should try? I'd reinstall win8.1, but honestly, I had the issue on the very first boot of it after the installer did its first phase of copying files over to it.. the next phase of the install crawled during the boot, if I recall correctly.. before I even logged into it the first time!

Maybe I'll set my upgraded BIOS to default and start over.. what settings are optimal for win 8.1 installing on an SSD in the latest bios?
(2014-02-20, 11:43)adrien55 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

I install on the new 0025 BIOS on my DN2820. No problem on this side.
But, When I tried to install multiple open Elec version (Stable 3.2.4, Intel, last nightly, x86-64, i386, etc.) and I still have this same problem ...

The homescreen elec happens, I choose install elec and this error appears each time:

cp: can not stat '/ flash / SYSTEM: No such file or directory
Error in prepare_sysroot / mount common: Could not mount / dev / SYSTEM '

I tried with bios by default configs, and one recommended by Intel for Open elec.
I tried disabling my IR, my Lan, etc..

Nothing works.

hard drive can be responsible ?

Thank a lot

Adrien

Make sure you're using one of the nightly builds and not the stable one as it's been reported that they don't work.

Nightly Builds: http://snapshots.openelec.tv/

I'm using OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140219021803-r17728-g565cdd7.tar and haven't had any issues so far with it.
(2014-02-19, 17:48)twelvebore Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'll set my upgraded BIOS to default and start over.. what settings are optimal for win 8.1 installing on an SSD in the latest bios?
When I did my install, the first thing I did was upgrade the BIOS to 0025, then installed Windows 8.1 (on a Samsung EVO SSD) and used the default BIOS settings. After the initial install, the system was running sluggish, but I figured this was due to a lack of proper drivers, so I downloaded the Intel NUC Driver bundle from:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...pe=Drivers

After installing the updated drivers, the system has been running like a champ.
(2014-02-20, 22:40)joshua.lyon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-19, 17:48)twelvebore Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe I'll set my upgraded BIOS to default and start over.. what settings are optimal for win 8.1 installing on an SSD in the latest bios?
When I did my install, the first thing I did was upgrade the BIOS to 0025, then installed Windows 8.1 (on a Samsung EVO SSD) and used the default BIOS settings. After the initial install, the system was running sluggish, but I figured this was due to a lack of proper drivers, so I downloaded the Intel NUC Driver bundle from:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...pe=Drivers

After installing the updated drivers, the system has been running like a champ.

Yep, I hit that driver bundle up right away.. along with the updates since then.. I did a chat session with Intel today and they want me to try installing Windows 8.0 after setting BIOS to default.. My hopes are super low.. Sadly, I'm going to lose all the customization's I've done thus far to the OS.. The one day it ran smoothly was nice..

What do you have the GPU RAM reservation set to in the Bios? I had bumped mine up to 512MEG before I installed OpenELEC the first time.. perhaps that is conflicting with the Windows 8.1 drivers in some way?? I'll reset bios to default and see if that alone fixes my 8.1 install before nuking my drive and starting over..

I am running XBMC Gotham nightly builds in Windows 8.1 (ignoring my slow OS mentioned above), and when I have the NUC on an HDMI->DVI connected monitor, my XBMC start up errored out with "ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting.".. some googling led me to use the -p (portable mode) argument, and also to install it in c:\xbmc.. well, I did that, but no love.. then I set it up so I can work remotely on it.. I fire up an RDP client and xbmc runs fine.. I got back home and ran it again on the console and got the error again... after some head scratching, I dug through the xbmc.log and saw errors about it not finding an audio device, yada yada.. Sure, there's no possible audio path, but damn.. why would that stop xbmc from loading at all?

I drug the NUC to my media room and plugged it into my AVR and fired things up.. sure enough, XBMC fires right up... (though, w/ the slow OS issue mentioned above, is unbearable)..

Just thought I'd mention that, in case some other unassuming victim runs into the same issue..