Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-02-26, 21:42)joshua.lyon Wrote: [ -> ]It is listed under Computer > Media Center > Microsoft > Windows Media Center... you just need a generic Microsoft MCE Remote code... it doesn't have to be specific to the NUC
Thanks, I'm further on now, but think I'm missing something really obvious somewhere.

With the Harmony configured for Windows Media Centre, it's powering on, but not controlling anything after that!?
I've checked the XBMC remote sends keyboard presses option, tried it both ways, but nothing.

From the Harmony side, the activity has all the keys mapped. Tried it as just the device as well, no joy.

I used to have an external IR receiver on a Revo and don't remember having to do anything special to get it working.

What am I missing?
(2014-02-26, 22:43)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-26, 21:42)joshua.lyon Wrote: [ -> ]It is listed under Computer > Media Center > Microsoft > Windows Media Center... you just need a generic Microsoft MCE Remote code... it doesn't have to be specific to the NUC
Thanks, I'm further on now, but think I'm missing something really obvious somewhere.

With the Harmony configured for Windows Media Centre, it's powering on, but not controlling anything after that!?
I've checked the XBMC remote sends keyboard presses option, tried it both ways, but nothing.

From the Harmony side, the activity has all the keys mapped. Tried it as just the device as well, no joy.

I used to have an external IR receiver on a Revo and don't remember having to do anything special to get it working.

What am I missing?

I can't help on this's but had the same issue with my harmony on 8.1, didn't work at all not even powering on. Ended up installing openelec and worked fine.
Some googling found a line here http://geeklingo.net/intel-nuc-dn2820fyk...ia-centre/ that mentioned having issues until removing the Win 8.1 own drivers and reinstalling Intels own.

I thought I had installed them from the Intel bundle, but sure it's something else to try tomorrow.
Bit of an update on the IR, not what I was expecting, but getting better!

Uninstalled the 2 drivers in device manager (Consumer & eHome), reran the Intel IR driver package and it asked me if I wanted to repair or remove. Chose remove and rebooted.

After that reboot the original 2 devices listed in device manager again, but seeing as XBMC starts up automatically, I checked the Harmony remote and it works!

The basics are there, directions, select and exit/backup.
I'm assuming I'll need to look at the key maps to get the context button working again.
Also noticed whatever power command the Harmony is sending during shutdown, is putting the NUC into standby (power button blinks?).

I'll get more time to look at it later
(2014-02-22, 04:39)kindrudekid Wrote: [ -> ]Any one know how to get sound working on ubuntu 64 bit?

I finally configured everything: skins, config, name it and off course after doing a dist-upgrade and autoclean of older kernels I loose my audio.... FML.

anyone know how to get sound up?

(2014-02-26, 02:40)Geekzilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-26, 00:37)Vincent1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Dear Members,

As stated before im still having problems with DTS HD master audio.
When this function is enabled the image slows down and the sound sounds like a chopper.
When disabling this function the stream returns to normal DTS. I have a dts-hd capable receiver
so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can anyone confirm that he has a working setup of the Nuc 2820 with Openelec Xbmc and DTS HD audio?

Hopefully can one of you answer the question as i have read more about this issue on this and other forums.

Thank You.
Vincent.

Can you post some screenshots of your settings screens?

Thank you for all the response Will try to make some screenshots tonight.
(2014-02-26, 12:07)signumda Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-26, 00:48)Vincent1983 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-26, 00:45)pratt733 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using a nightly build? I'm using a nightly from a couple of nights ago (I can't check the exact one right now) and this worked perfectly for me.

Thank you for the response,

I installed the nightly from 19 feb and 22 feb. Both the same outcome. Chopper like sound and slow framerate with enabled DTS HD.
My receiver shows DTS HD on the screen.

Vincent.

The last nightly worked good on my nuc was the "OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140204145610-r17626-g97447e4" all newer ones have high cpu load and sound problems on DTS-HD.

I have tried every nightly since mid January and none have produced high CPU usage for me. I'm using the latest nightly from 2/25 and my CPU usage is at 25-30% streaming live tv. I don't have DTS-HD. Maybe that is causing the high cpu usage you see. Oh I'm not running Windows, just Openelec.
(2014-02-26, 21:42)joshua.lyon Wrote: [ -> ]...
Read elsewhere that the Harmony remote software recognised the Intel NUCs as devices to be added?
Tried a few combinations on mine, but it suggests random devices when I go for Intel DN2820.
Any ideas what the ideal Harmony config is?

I am not at home to provide specific path in harmony software, but I have found NUCs there, only the i5 version. The remote, however, works.
(2014-02-27, 09:47)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]Bit of an update on the IR, not what I was expecting, but getting better!

Uninstalled the 2 drivers in device manager (Consumer & eHome), reran the Intel IR driver package and it asked me if I wanted to repair or remove. Chose remove and rebooted.

After that reboot the original 2 devices listed in device manager again, but seeing as XBMC starts up automatically, I checked the Harmony remote and it works!

The basics are there, directions, select and exit/backup.
I'm assuming I'll need to look at the key maps to get the context button working again.
Also noticed whatever power command the Harmony is sending during shutdown, is putting the NUC into standby (power button blinks?).

I'll get more time to look at it later

Hopefully this will not get too complicated, but I've run into similar driver issues with other drivers - where windows would install native drivers for "wrongly matched devices". There is no proper bulletproof method of fixing this once it has happened, but it can (most of the time) be avvoided at first install - before connectiong the device if external. The issue is that once Windows matches a Device_ID with one of its native drivers - it will never give up that "link". For non-native drivers, you can choose to also delete the driver when removing the device in "Device Manager". This option is obviously not available for devices linked to Windows native (bundled) drivers. I've tried for weeks to figure out a way to remove the "link" from registry, with no success.

What you CAN attemt - is the following (Although I'm not sure it will work as it is an embedded device):

(My windows version is non-english, so "labels" here might vary by some degree)
  • Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Properties
  • Hardware tab -> Settings for device installation
  • Tick "No, let me choose" - and "Never install drivers from Window Update".
  • Reboot, then remove IR device from Device Manager. Another reboot
  • Install Intel IR Drivers. If this doesn't work, do the same again but try it without the reboot between removing the IR device and installing the Intel IR drivers.

IMPORTANT NOTE! You might want to revert the settings for automatic driver installation, once you're set up with the Intel drivers working. Otherwise, no drivers for USB devices etc - will install automatically.

I'm not sure this procedure will help you in your case (as the registry link between the Device_ID and windows bundled driver is already established), but it is worth as shot. This procedure is very nice to have in you back pocket if installing a device with known driver conflicts, for the first time.
Hi all,

Sylvia_intel reports that there's a brand new driver to address audio issues. This is for Windows. Please give it a try if you've been having pass-through or other audio issues:

https://communities.intel.com/message/225579#225579

Jason
Received my DN2820 a couple of days ago, and I'm very much impressed with it.

I'm running with a Seagate 250GB HDD (I had lying around) and a Crucial 4GB DIMM.
I've updated the BIOS to 025, and installed OpenELEC (OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140225141259-r17811-gc4d1004).

Everything is running perfectly. It plays every kind of file I've thrown at it, including those with DTS-HD audio.
It's a massive improvement over the Ouya running XBMC that I was experimenting with.

Everything just works, including power on and off from the remote.

I'm just waiting on the Rii i25A keyboard/RF remote to arrive, which will hopefully work without too much modification required.

After spending a couple of weeks on trying to get the Ouya to work correctly, I'm very pleased with how easy it was to get the NUC working.
I never did manage to work out how to get the Ouya to power on and off from the remote. There just doesn't seem to be a command you can issue with does it (even with a Flirc).
I tried to build a sequence which would double press the system button, and then do the various D-Pad and button presses to put it to sleep, but that never worked either.

The Ouya is now back to gaming duties, and the NUC will be running the media side of things for some time to come.
(2014-02-27, 09:47)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]Uninstalled the 2 drivers in device manager (Consumer & eHome), reran the Intel IR driver package and it asked me if I wanted to repair or remove. Chose remove and rebooted.

I had to do the same thing to get IR commands working within Windows as well. Earlier in the thread, Saunderez mentioned that they had to perform a similar set of steps to get their IR working as well.

(2014-02-27, 09:47)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]The basics are there, directions, select and exit/backup.
I noticed that certain buttons didn't work out of the box as well. I had my Harmony mapped up with all the context-menu / main menu mappings and most of those aren't working at the moment. I don't recall putting together a custom keymap on my previous XBMC setup, so I planned on increasing the debug level so I could check the logs to make sure the key presses were coming through and what obc code they were being recognized as (System > Debugging).
Has anyone tested 3D content play performance (full frame, SBS, etc)? Any feedback will be very much appreciated.
(2014-02-27, 20:01)Bagpuss Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just waiting on the Rii i25A keyboard/RF remote to arrive, which will hopefully work without too much modification required.
I never did manage to work out how to get the Ouya to power on and off from the remote.

Bagpuss, that remote looks pretty perfect.. very much like my beloved Boxee Box remote.. Please share your results once you receive it.. I'd like to know, especially, if you're able to find a way to power on the NUC with that remote.

On a related note, I was able to find a Pronto HEX code to emulate an MCE remote somewhat. I have a discrete power OFF (actually standby, I think).. but I can't find a discrete code for power ON that actually works..
(2014-02-27, 21:06)dCrypt Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone tested 3D content play performance (full frame, SBS, etc)? Any feedback will be very much appreciated.
Only have SBS content, but just tried The Avengers 1080 DTS and it played fine.

Should say, that's with XBMC installed on top of Win8.1 64bit 8GB RAM (512MB assigned to video)
120GB SSD, but media playing from a NAS

(2014-02-27, 20:47)joshua.lyon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-27, 09:47)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]Uninstalled the 2 drivers in device manager (Consumer & eHome), reran the Intel IR driver package and it asked me if I wanted to repair or remove. Chose remove and rebooted.

I had to do the same thing to get IR commands working within Windows as well. Earlier in the thread, Saunderez mentioned that they had to perform a similar set of steps to get their IR working as well.

(2014-02-27, 09:47)Fra-HTPC Wrote: [ -> ]The basics are there, directions, select and exit/backup.
I noticed that certain buttons didn't work out of the box as well. I had my Harmony mapped up with all the context-menu / main menu mappings and most of those aren't working at the moment. I don't recall putting together a custom keymap on my previous XBMC setup, so I planned on increasing the debug level so I could check the logs to make sure the key presses were coming through and what obc code they were being recognized as (System > Debugging).

Only difference was Saunderez reinstalled the Intel driver, I was planning to, but realised it was working after the post uninstall reboot, so left it alone at that point.

Had a play around with different MCE devices on the Harmony remote, a few like those marked SE have different commands/keys available, but they all seem to do exactly the same thing in XBMC. Most of it works (directions, select, play, pause, exit, etc), just no info button or context menu.

Guess it has to be the keymap and codes like you say, to figure out what commands are being sent and have XBMC substitute them for the button we need.
Started to look at it earlier, and I did it before for an old third party remote, but went round in circles this time. Will sort it eventually.
(2014-02-27, 13:50)Vincent1983 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-22, 04:39)kindrudekid Wrote: [ -> ]Any one know how to get sound working on ubuntu 64 bit?

I finally configured everything: skins, config, name it and off course after doing a dist-upgrade and autoclean of older kernels I loose my audio.... FML.

anyone know how to get sound up?

(2014-02-26, 02:40)Geekzilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-26, 00:37)Vincent1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Dear Members,

As stated before im still having problems with DTS HD master audio.
When this function is enabled the image slows down and the sound sounds like a chopper.
When disabling this function the stream returns to normal DTS. I have a dts-hd capable receiver
so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can anyone confirm that he has a working setup of the Nuc 2820 with Openelec Xbmc and DTS HD audio?

Hopefully can one of you answer the question as i have read more about this issue on this and other forums.

Thank You.
Vincent.

Can you post some screenshots of your settings screens?

Thank you for all the response Will try to make some screenshots tonight.

Hi All,

Did make the screenshot and a short movie of the stuttering.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0evgl9dor8mthr9/dt9A1cFzbL

Today updated to Nightly build R17818 but nothing changed.
Tried multiple files all the same outcome.

It should be possible to get it working, hopefully i made a mistake.

Best regards
Vincent