Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 4th.
Thanks Crssi, i chose the Crucial m500, because i already have another m500 and an m4 and i never got problem with them.

While I wait the arrive of the dn2820 i'm trying xbmc on my i5 nuc but i don't understand how can i play full bluray with menu from xbmc, there's a way to let xbmc open them into menu like if i'm playing it from a disc inserted in a bluray player. Because actually when i click on movie poster it let me chose from some file but i don't see any menu.
(2014-03-26, 01:23)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]While I wait the arrive of the dn2820 i'm trying xbmc on my i5 nuc but i don't understand how can i play full bluray with menu from xbmc, there's a way to let xbmc open them into menu like if i'm playing it from a disc inserted in a bluray player. Because actually when i click on movie poster it let me chose from some file but i don't see any menu.

AIUI XBMC only has very limited Blu-ray menu support. The core functionality lists the longer video titles on the disc i.e. "some file" (often the first one is the main movie). Some discs will play with experimental menu support - but this is a long way from matching the menu performance of a standalone Blu-ray player or Windows Blu-ray playback software. However most of my Blu-ray viewing is to watch the actual movie - and the XBMC playback does that pretty well - and you avoid having to watch all the nag screens first...
(2014-03-25, 22:35)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]I need to chose between these 120GB ssd: Crucial M500, Samsung EVO, Kingston SSDNow V300.
Price is pratically the same, which one do you think is better?
M500 and Evo
(2014-03-25, 15:25)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]You convinced me to save money and buy this.

Windows 8 instead of Openelec will impact on performance? I would like to install a complete OS like Windows in this way i can have more flexibility, but only if it doesn't impact so much on movie playback performance.
General performance in Win8.1 is much better that i expected, BUT there is still one major issue which is unresolved by Intel. I can't make 5.1 work in Netflix, or get DTS-HD to work under windows at all. Surfing some forums (I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread as well) revealed that the unit is missing some "Protected Audio Path" driver stuff.

It is being discussed in this thread on the Intel forums, and apparently it took a while to get the Intel representative to understand the problem:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/481...0&tstart=0

However under Openelec several users have reported that DTS-HD works perfectly. Note: By "work" I mean bitstream it to the receiver unmolested; I can get multi-channel audio in XBMC under Win8.1 from DTS-HD files, but it is not sent to the receiver as HD sound. In Netflix 5.1 is currently not an option at all. When I enable it, it runs super slow motion. Sad

I'm curently considering making a bootable USB-stick with Openelec to get DTS-HD from this sucker, but it is really annoying to have shelled out cash for Windows when the main functionalities I wanted from it don't work.
(2014-03-25, 22:35)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]I need to chose between these 120GB ssd: Crucial M500, Samsung EVO, Kingston SSDNow V300.
Price is pratically the same, which one do you think is better?
I cannot speak for the Crucial M500 - and while its sort of mute now as you seem to already have made your decision - I thought I'd chip in my experience. Having the Samsung EVO in my ultrabook and the Kingston SSSDNow V300 in my DN2820FYKH NUC - among these two, if prices are fairly equal - I would for sure go for the Samsung 840 EVO. Very noticable difference in performance. The Kingston is worth the price and fairly decent - but the EVO is simply better, and noticably so - not just in synthetic benchmarks.

Now the Samsung 840 Evo Pro ... that is where the real fun happens. But it does cost a bit more.

(2014-03-26, 10:12)ozimek Wrote: [ -> ]General performance in Win8.1 is much better that i expected, BUT there is still one major issue which is unresolved by Intel. I can't make 5.1 work in Netflix, or get DTS-HD to work under windows at all. Surfing some forums (I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread as well) revealed that the unit is missing some "Protected Audio Path" driver stuff.
I was the one who contacted Netflix and got the confirmation on the Metro apps requirement of PAP. Now, hopefully we'll see that Intel Management Engine driver soon (or they figured another way to do this and will fix that, as if they did - its not working). Be noted - This issue happens with Netflix Metro app, bitstreaming Dolby Digital Plus (DD+ / E-AC3). DD+ doesn't require PAP in principle, its a requirement for bitstreaming with the Netflix Metro app. XBMC Gotham Beta2 or newer should transcode DD+ to "regular DD or PCM - depending on your setup.

Netflix Metro app is currently the only way to get SuperHD/UltraHD and 5.1 audio on a computer platform. No Win8(.1), No SuperHD / 5.1 audio.

If you have an external (usb) soundcard with analog outputs (and your AVR has analog inputs of course), you can go around this - Intel GFX drivers and Win8 can also decode DD+ to PCM. Tried and working.

I believe XBMC does pull the DTS core from DTS-HD if you set it up right. For now, you won't enjoy the DTS-HD part, but you can still get the DTS core from DTS-HD soundtracks.
(2014-03-25, 13:26)mprassel Wrote: [ -> ]Have any of you tried running Aeon Nox on the 2820?

Using it now with all the extra effects in place, smooth as butter for me

(2014-03-25, 12:18)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm really undecided, this nuc attract me for the low price and consuption, but I'm not convinced of performance.
I don't want to buy it and discover that i cannot play without any problem what I'm actually playing with popcorn hour A200 (i have only 1080p mkv and some bluray not compressed).

Actually i already have an intel nuc D54250WYKH that I'm using as office computer, and I'm really happy with it's performance but it cost about 3 time this. I undecided between the 2820 nuc and the i3 dn4010 nuc, but if with the celeron version i could play the same things has the i3 version i prefer to safe 100/150€ or more.

Any help to make a decision? Smile

That is a personal choice, I wanted something faster than a Pi so went with this and it didnt disappoint, though some 1080p content has low fps but I think that is an Ubuntu issue with codecs maybe but I'll report back when OpenElec is out of beta. But from the looks of the comments and other user, this is perfect for any one that wants something faster than pi and cheaper!

(2014-03-25, 12:55)rramalho Wrote: [ -> ]I have the 2820 celeron, and no problems with uncompressed BD or 1080p mkv. It played everything I throwed at it...

How are you running? I have set it up on ubuntu and sometimes the 1080p videos stutter with 15-18 fps... also is yours wired or wireless maybe it is a network issue?
Hi!
I just ordered the Intel NUC D54250WYK2 With 120GB msata SSD and 16GB RAM.
That was before even actually knowing what this unit is good for. My lady is sick of my old desktop doing service in the livingroom as HTPC, so when I found about thos NUC I didnt care much about what it would do, 'coz I know it will do everything that my old desktop does atm, and I hope it Works even harder.

So, have someone in here tried out this Version? At the moment I only got a fullHD TV to Connect it to as far as Picture is concerned. But can this system deliver 4K Pictures if I get a 4K TV? I thought the HDMI2.0 was a must-have for 4K?

Sorry for my bad English..

BTW: I was planning on running Win7x64 ultimate as OS on the Box because that's a OS the ladyfriend and the Girls(10 and 15) knows from the precent system With the same OS With XBMC as "HTPC-engine".
@kindrudekid
Post a link to a sample and I be happy to try it in OpenELEC nightly (wired).
(2014-03-26, 15:32)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]I was the one who contacted Netflix and got the confirmation on the Metro apps requirement of PAP. Now, hopefully we'll see that Intel Management Engine driver soon (or they figured another way to do this and will fix that, as if they did - its not working). Be noted - This issue happens with Netflix Metro app, bitstreaming Dolby Digital Plus (DD+ / E-AC3). DD+ doesn't require PAP in principle, its a requirement for bitstreaming with the Netflix Metro app. XBMC Gotham Beta2 or newer should transcode DD+ to "regular DD or PCM - depending on your setup.

Netflix Metro app is currently the only way to get SuperHD/UltraHD and 5.1 audio on a computer platform. No Win8(.1), No SuperHD / 5.1 audio.

If you have an external (usb) soundcard with analog outputs (and your AVR has analog inputs of course), you can go around this - Intel GFX drivers and Win8 can also decode DD+ to PCM. Tried and working.

I believe XBMC does pull the DTS core from DTS-HD if you set it up right. For now, you won't enjoy the DTS-HD part, but you can still get the DTS core from DTS-HD soundtracks.
Thanks for elaborating.
(2014-03-26, 16:25)sickpuppy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!
I just ordered the Intel NUC D54250WYK2 With 120GB msata SSD and 16GB RAM.
Please note that this thread is for discussing the Celeron version called DN2820FYKH. There might be a dedicated thread for your particular unit. It's useful to have technical details separated under their precise units. Thanks.
(2014-03-26, 16:25)sickpuppy Wrote: [ -> ]BTW: I was planning on running Win7x64 ultimate as OS on the Box because that's a OS the ladyfriend and the Girls(10 and 15) knows from the precent system With the same OS With XBMC as "HTPC-engine".

You don't need to know OpenElec, cause you don't see it. Its a pure XBMC on a minimal Linux Basement.
This wouldn't be a Reason for me to use Windows as OS for an HTPC only using XBMC.
Hi, what vaapi driver i need to install on DN2820? I tried libva-intel-vaapi-driver and i965-va-driver but it didnt work... sorry if its been asked but i couldnt find solution yet...
(2014-03-26, 01:23)darkf3d3 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Crssi, i chose the Crucial m500, because i already have another m500 and an m4 and i never got problem with them.
yeah i use crusial m500 120G until now never got a problems
(2014-03-26, 16:27)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]@kindrudekid
Post a link to a sample and I be happy to try it in OpenELEC nightly (wired).

One movie that game me trouble was this one
Frozen 2013 1080p. x264 by SPARKS

It goes smothly but as soon as scene changes a lot like diff shot it slugs
(2014-03-26, 18:18)zorvalth Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, what vaapi driver i need to install on DN2820? I tried libva-intel-vaapi-driver and i965-va-driver but it didnt work... sorry if its been asked but i couldnt find solution yet...

You can find it here i think - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707