Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-03-30, 20:16)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a jumper to move ala mk1 NUCs to hit the bios menu?

Bios recovery guide: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034524.htm
(2014-03-28, 22:15)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]Closing in on end of production - and Intel still has quite a lot more orders in, than they're able to produce atm. You might have better luck with these online dropshippers and the like - they don't order from Intel themselves, but get them from whoever has them available. But try to get a confirmation from their source, that stock status is up to date and confirmed.

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/F2EB08EF...862-00.pdf

The DN2820FYKH will be see an upgrade soon - a Celeron 2830, beefier power lines for USB3.0 etc. No more definite news yet, as far as I could find.

So I have an order for the past 2 months with Amazon that still has not shipped for the DN2820FYKH . Any more news on the replacement, and at this point should I just wait for the refresh? Reading that intel doc, seems like they will stop allowing orders for them them in 11 days.....
(2014-03-30, 20:34)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034524.htm

(2014-03-31, 00:30)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-30, 20:16)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a jumper to move ala mk1 NUCs to hit the bios menu?

Bios recovery guide: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034524.htm

Cheers lads. Turns out it was ok. The telly couldn't do 1280x1024 so blanked screened me.

Connected to another telly and it's sat on a windows boot error [old install existing on the SSD]

Booted off legacy USB and installed oE beta3.

Works absolutely fine. Power on by remote, all video and sound work. Got Amber skin and PleXBMC installed.

Just had to fit a booster to the 15m HDMI cable as was getting artifacts on the screen.

Box now lives under the stairs controlled by IR blaster. Superb!
(2014-03-31, 08:18)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers lads. Turns out it was ok. The telly couldn't do 1280x1024 so blanked screened me.

Connected to another telly and it's sat on a windows boot error [old install existing on the SSD]

Booted off legacy USB and installed oE beta3.

Works absolutely fine. Power on by remote, all video and sound work. Got Amber skin and PleXBMC installed.

Just had to fit a booster to the 15m HDMI cable as was getting artifacts on the screen.

Hi,

see you using PleXMBC, are you sharing content with friends, as I cannot see any shared content on mine apart from local media on my LAN?

Thanks
Calisto
So still no DTS-MA pass through on Windows 7 or 8.1?
This is the only thing holding me back.
can someone please confirm or suggest alternative box?
(2014-03-31, 08:18)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers lads. Turns out it was ok. The telly couldn't do 1280x1024 so blanked screened me.
[...]
Glad to hear it worked out. The 1024 vertical is a known issue - some serious ranting on this earlier in this thread. I thought Intel had fixed this in bios/uefi long time ago - but I could never tell, as both my monitor and TV can handle 1024 vertical.

Hoping this NuC works out great for you - it sure has for most of us Smile

(2014-03-31, 15:37)john_hey Wrote: [ -> ]So still no DTS-MA pass through on Windows 7 or 8.1?
Still no real news on this - sorry. That alternative box would have to be non-Bay Trail. With proper setup and EMI drivers, DTS-HD and DD+ should work fine on Hawell units.

AFAIK, PAP (Protected Audio Path) is stll broken with BayTrail and win8.1. You can get around it if you have an external soundcard with multichannel analog outputs - this issue only affects passthrough bitstreaming that requires PAP. In win8.1 that would be either per-application requirement (like Netflix Metro app), or DTS-HD/MA - for which I believe it is an OS natively requirement.

Could anyone with win8.1 do a proper uninstall of the intel GFX drivers, and try out latest GFX drivers? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldID=23714
Please check Netflix Metro DD+ operation (House of Cards is one of many with DD+ soundtrack) - and check if DTS-HD / DTS-MA is available in device capabilites -both in windows settings and XBMC audio output settings. And of course - check if it actually works.

My AVR is still at the shops, my temp replacement only handles optical and coaxial toslink - which is does not have the bandwith for DD+, and most certainly not HD audio. My TV is DD+ capable, but it only has 2 speakers and no multichannel passthrough - thus while video and audio is fluid with DD+ soudtrack, I can't really know whats actually going on.
(2014-03-31, 15:37)john_hey Wrote: [ -> ]So still no DTS-MA pass through on Windows 7 or 8.1?

Just to be clear, I need to have HD audio pass through when play .mkv files from local drives. (in Windows)
I care less about audio from netflix etc
(2014-03-31, 16:39)john_hey Wrote: [ -> ]

Just to be clear, I need to have HD audio pass through when play .mkv files from local drives. (in Windows)
I care less about audio from netflix etc
Conclusions so far is that the these two issues are due to the same problem. Fix one, fix both. Passthorugh is fine "in general" - just no DTS-HD in win8(.1)... for now. Works in OpenELEC though (so not a hardware problem), so expect it to be fixed eventually. For all I know, it could be fixed with the driver posted above - I just don't have the equipment to test it atm.
Just got an email from Intel Engineering dept., they're working on a new driver and say hopefully this driver will remedy these issues with Netflix Metro and DTS-HD. No date though.

The last bit looked like a snippet quote - if so, I'm not sure how old the statment is. Still awaiting someone with win8.1 to test & report on the 3496 driver above.
(2014-03-31, 15:05)calisto Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

see you using PleXMBC, are you sharing content with friends, as I cannot see any shared content on mine apart from local media on my LAN?

Thanks
Calisto

All working fine here! Rolleyes

(2014-03-31, 16:23)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]
[...]
Glad to hear it worked out. The 1024 vertical is a known issue - some serious ranting on this earlier in this thread. I thought Intel had fixed this in bios/uefi long time ago - but I could never tell, as both my monitor and TV can handle 1024 vertical.

Hoping this NuC works out great for you - it sure has for most of us Smile

I'm sure it will I had a mk1 Celeron model last year. Awesome bits of kit. When I saw this one. I had to have it. It's been sat in its box for the past 6 weeks until we could move in and I could setup the AV rack under the stairs ha!

I'm a happy camper with mine. Good luck to all with their endeavours to chase fixes!
(2014-03-31, 19:37)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure it will I had a mk1 Celeron model last year. Awesome bits of kit. When I saw this one. I had to have it. It's been sat in its box for the past 6 weeks until we could move in and I could setup the AV rack under the stairs ha!

I'm a happy camper with mine. Good luck to all with their endeavours to chase fixes!

Well these 4th gen B-Trail celerons got plenty of punch - and while they're not much for heavy software loads - most of the common audio and video codecs have Hardware Acceleration support now. Personally I think its the best piece of new hardware I've bought in the last 10 year. Even my GF loves it, and uses it daily.
(2014-04-01, 00:00)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-31, 19:37)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure it will I had a mk1 Celeron model last year. Awesome bits of kit. When I saw this one. I had to have it. It's been sat in its box for the past 6 weeks until we could move in and I could setup the AV rack under the stairs ha!

Well these 4th gen B-Trail celerons got plenty of punch - and while they're not much for heavy software loads - most of the common audio and video codecs have Hardware Acceleration support now. Personally I think its the best piece of new hardware I've bought in the last 10 year. Even my GF loves it, and uses it daily.
That's good, replacing the GF can be a pain.
(2014-04-01, 00:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]That's good, replacing the GF can be a pain.
And expensive. The last upgrade cost me quite a fat stack of NUCs, to put it in relative terms. But this one doesn't even complain about my old NADs on display - and those aren't known for high WAF.