Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a cheap and easy way to get spdif from this one? I have seen hdmi to spdif converters or USB to spdif but not sure what works with openelec
(2014-05-30, 10:36)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Could be...

But why use i386 in the first place on the NUC DN2820?

Thanks for your help (and patience) with this xbs08. After a lot f trial and error it turns out it is something in the guisettings.xml, copy it in no shutdown delete it and it works. But that is as far as I am digging I will just set xbmc back up the way I like then copy the new guisettings.XML out and keep for backup.
Glad you found the cause of the problem.
(2014-05-30, 04:11)lomenak Wrote: [ -> ]Is this RAM going to be compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148679

(2014-05-30, 09:26)RideLikeTheWind Wrote: [ -> ]I think that should be OK, it's 204 pin and 1.35v which I believe are the main points to look for.
Check the intel for website for guidance: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034588.htm

The full speed of that memory will not be used by the 2820 as it'll only run up to 1066 Mhz.
I think I remember reading somewhere that double sided ram had issues with getting too hot or causing too much heat when placed next to another component in the box. It was a while ago so maybe it was an isolated incident but input from others would help clarify who use double sided ram.
Finally 8GB seems alot, if you're just running XBMC I'd have thought 4GB would be more than enough?

RLTW

(2014-05-30, 10:04)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Double sided isn't much of a problem because the DN2820 has one slot only.

For OE even 2GB is enough.
I have 4GB and never seen the NUC use more than a 1GB of RAM including the 512MB for GPU.

There is no guarantee - this module is "promoted" as both 1.5V, 1.35V and both. Yet I don't see anyone mentioning it being DDR3L. As mentioned, you need a DDR3L stick (1.35V). The frequency the NUC can operate at is limited, but 1066MHz sticks are getting "obsolete", so faster RAM is simlpy cheaper and easiler available - even though you can't use it to its full potential. To clear any possible curiosities or uncertainties; The issues regarding double-sided sticks (RAM sticks with memory chips on both sides of the PCB) "only affects" NUCs with 2 RAM slots, and using 2 of these simultaneously. Using double-sided RAM modules, the RAM modules get too thick, its too tight a fit and they are physically pressed against eachother. There's a direct thermal (and possibly electric) connection between them. Best case scenario; poor seating contact and both modules heat each other up instead of dissipating heat to the sourroundings. Worst case; The sticks short each other out electrically, and takes parts of the MB with it in "the fall".

Again, not a factor withthis NUC, as it only has 1 RAM slot anyway.

Personally I think this 8GB stick is overkill, unless you plan to use it for something else later. I run Win8.1pro on the 4GB stick mentioned at the bottom here (finally got them to list it) - never seen any hint at RAM shortage. Only "low memory warning" I ever got was a "false positive", a confirmed Windows bug. If you ever find the need for over 4GB ram on this NUC, I'd imagine the CPU/GPU would tap out long before the memory does.
There's no guarantee but the specs say:

Brand: Crucial
Form Factor: SODIMM
Capacity: 8GB
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •
Series: Crucial
part number: CT102464BF160B
(2014-05-30, 20:50)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]I run Win8.1pro on the 4GB stick mentioned at the bottom here (finally got them to list it) - never seen any hint at RAM shortage. Only "low memory warning" I ever got was a "false positive", a confirmed Windows bug.
Interested in this statement. I have now a couple of times had windows 8.1 on my 2820 NUC displaying a "low memory" warning that takes focus away from XBMC, but task manager shows only 1GB of 4GB in use. Interesting you mentioned it's a confirmed bug, is there any resolution or more info you have seen?
In the last few week I get occasioanlly "low memory" pop up also on win 8.1 on NUC i5 haswell with 4Gb RAM.
Since I have changed nothing in the last year except I am up-to-date on XBMC nightlies, I would suspect that this is XBMC problem rather than Win 81, but this is only a speculation.
Does anyone knows more about this problem?
I just set up 3 * Intel NUC BOXDN2820FYKH0 + 4GB (1x 4096MB) Crucial CT51264BF160BJ DDR3-1600 SO-DIMM CL11 Single + Kingston SSDNow V300 60 GB SSD 2.5".

Updated BIOS to 34 and loaded in OpenElec 4.0.3.

Set up one NUC and made a full backup.

(Updated BIOSses and) restored the backup for the 2 other NUC´s and everything is perfect.

Awesome machines and great work by XBMC & OpenElec teams, 2 thumbs up!
(2014-05-31, 00:59)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-30, 20:50)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]I run Win8.1pro on the 4GB stick mentioned at the bottom here (finally got them to list it) - never seen any hint at RAM shortage. Only "low memory warning" I ever got was a "false positive", a confirmed Windows bug.
Interested in this statement. I have now a couple of times had windows 8.1 on my 2820 NUC displaying a "low memory" warning that takes focus away from XBMC, but task manager shows only 1GB of 4GB in use. Interesting you mentioned it's a confirmed bug, is there any resolution or more info you have seen?

(2014-05-31, 09:58)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]In the last few week I get occasioanlly "low memory" pop up also on win 8.1 on NUC i5 haswell with 4Gb RAM.
Since I have changed nothing in the last year except I am up-to-date on XBMC nightlies, I would suspect that this is XBMC problem rather than Win 81, but this is only a speculation.
Does anyone knows more about this problem?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1683060

As mentioned it the post - not quite sure what triggers this "false positive", but as it doesn't affect all games and applications that would more likely eat up all available memory - there still has to be something specific that triggers it - and thus it must be a way to remedy it. I tried suggested solutions like bumping up swapfile size considerably, and making sure xbmc ran at the same resolution as windows itself, alternating "true fullscreen"/ fullscreen window - but saw no difference in the occurence of the errors. So I followed the instructions linked, and kept the swap file at ~2x RAM size. Have not seen a warning in 45 days and counting.

PLEASE NOTE! This deactivates the "low memory warnings" all-together, including "legitimate cases". Use at own risk.

I'm not a programmer, and atleast at that point of post, logs didn't show anything obviously usable. This might have changed, so if you can debug this - please post debug logs to TRAC.

EDIT: This is a multifactor-issue, indicated culprits are a combination of drivers, DirectX and Windows. It seems some games have resolved this through driver optimization, so make sure all your drivers are up to date. Check Intels site for recent drivers that have yet to be annouced.
Anyone know a way of getting BT working in OE?
TIA
How do i modify keymaps for IR remotes on Openelec?.. i use an xbox remote with my NUC, and it works right out of the box so i havent had to set anything. I want to switch a few buttons around!
(2014-05-30, 04:11)lomenak Wrote: [ -> ]Is this RAM going to be compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148679

lomenak
If you want 8GB of crucial ram take a look at this link:
http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-.../dn2820fyk
It'll show you all the ram compatible for the 2820

RLTW
(2014-05-31, 15:20)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know a way of getting BT working in OE?
TIA

xbs08
Do you mean bluetooth?

If so go to Openelec Configuration / Openelec Setting menu.
Then select services and go into it, scroll down to the Bluetooth option. Select enable.
Then select Bluetooth from the Openelec side menu and pair your Bluetooth device. It should show in the screen. I've got my PS3 remote working on it.

RLTW
(2014-05-30, 13:48)kees667 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a cheap and easy way to get spdif from this one? I have seen hdmi to spdif converters or USB to spdif but not sure what works with openelec
Personally I use this: http://dx.com/p/15746 (Spdif+5.1 analog out) - but its with windows 8.1 - I'm not sure about driver compatability etc, for OE. Controller is C-Media CM106 - might be a proper google would help you sort that out.