Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Monitor loses signal on XBMC start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software:
* Arch Linux
* XFCE4
* XBMC 12.3

Cables:
PC <DisplayPort> Monitor
PC <HDMI> AVR

This is my setup which worked perfectly fine until a few days ago after I rebooted. Now the instance I start XBMC my monitor loses its signal and there is no way getting it back except for a reboot. I can hear the XBMC menu sounds and can still control everything, but this is the end of monitor output (both DP & HDMI) until I reboot the whole system - even logging out via SSH or changing to another TTY doesnt bring the signal back.

I tried:

* un-/reinstalling XBMC with various pacman parameters and removed ~/.xbmc and /usr/share/xbmc manually, as well as ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml but the problem still remains.

* changing SCREENMODE in ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml to WINDOW instead of DESKTOP

* restoring my old displays.xml and edited a couple of lines just now and then I could start XBMC normally without losing the monitor signal, but after putting the system into suspend and waking it up again there was no signal again (never had that before). From that moment on XBMC starting cuts off the monitor signal again Sad

* ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log doesnt show anything unordinary...

I really am completely out of ideas by now. It's a complete pain to have to reboot EVERYTHING every time I try if I fixed the problem. I hope someone can help me debug this weird issue - according to Google I seem to be the only person in the world to have this problem :|
"SOLUTION":

The problem lies in the home directory of my user. I found that out after creating a new one with a blank home directory and starting XBMC - worked!
However, I cannot tell you which files/directories exactly are responsible for this issue. I tried (re)moving them one by one and moving them back that way, starting XBMC each time to see if it would work. Some constellations would work but after rebooting the problem re-occured. I now pretty much have removed every directory beginning with a "." (dot) except .config (which holds the XFCE4 config files). The .config dir wasnt the problem at all to my surprise... After I could run XBMC again without losing the signal I restored my original .xbmc dir - and it worked with that one, too! However after a reboot the problem was there again... I now started again with a fresh .xbmc directory and it still works after rebooting... So for now this is the "solution" I will stick to. But to be honest I still have no clue what exactly caused the problem since I didnt remove any files which had anything to do with neither XFCE/Xorg nor XBMC...

Thanks a lot to Namarrgon who helped me figure this out for about 3 hours yesterday!!!