Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC- fanless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm thinking of building this little fanless NUC for my kids. I think that they will have a blast with it in their study/kid entertainment room....Nod

1. Akasa Newton AK-ITX07-BK Fanless Aluminium Case

2. Intel BLKD33217GKE D33217GKE Core i3 DDR3 UCFF New Bulk Packaging

3. Crucial M500 120GB SATA mSATA

4. G.SKILL 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM

5. Power Adapter DC 19 V, 65 W Level 5 Right Angle DC Plug

6. Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard k400r

7. Still try to find a good deal on Windows 8. If anyone know any good deal, let me know....
You may be in luck with Windows 8.... or more precisely Windows 8.1 with Bing

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454388,00.asp

Also, if you opted for the slightly larger and more expensive Akasa Tesla H you could accommodate a 2.5" Sata drive within the case rather than having an external usb drive.
(2014-03-03, 01:31)seapoint Wrote: [ -> ]You may be in luck with Windows 8.... or more precisely Windows 8.1 with Bing

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454388,00.asp
That is excellent news. I like the 8.1 on my Surface Pro so much that I want it on my new build too.

(2014-03-03, 01:31)seapoint Wrote: [ -> ]Also, if you opted for the slightly larger and more expensive Akasa Tesla H you could accommodate a 2.5" Sata drive within the case rather than having an external usb drive.
Good point! Do you know where can I find one of these "D54250WYB / D34010WYB" Intel NUC motherboard at reasonable price?
Why is it so hard to find Intel NUC "D54250WYB / D34010WYB" motherboard? I found it at a couple sites, but it is very expensive. Here is one- Intel D34010WYB "Wilson Canyon" Haswell i3 NUC Motherboard . I might stick to my original board and original case in the first post. If I can find a good deal on NUC i3 or i5 with the original box, I might buy it and then transfer the board to Akasa fanless case....
I gather from your timezone that you're on the West coast US? I'm in Dublin Ireland so have been looking at the European suppliers such as http://minipc.de/catalog/gl/93

Believe it or not, I was very lucky to pick up a D54250WYK from a very generous donor, all I had to do was pick up the mSata and ram. I could really have done with coming upon your excellent guide to getting bitstreaming sorted when I was running an older windows machine with Mediacentre. It was a steep learning curve to get the codecs set up correctly. The slightest blip would send me back to PCM and have me start at the beginning again.

(2014-03-03, 22:19)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it so hard to find Intel NUC "D54250WYB / D34010WYB" motherboard? I found it at a couple sites, but it is very expensive. Here is one- Intel D34010WYB "Wilson Canyon" Haswell i3 NUC Motherboard . I might stick to my original board and original case in the first post. If I can find a good deal on NUC i3 or i5 with the original box, I might buy it and then transfer the board to Akasa fanless case....
Even in a 10-pack of motherboards, the individual NUC unit tends to be cheaper. If you want to go fanless your cheapest choice is going to be to buy the NUC and discard the case it comes in.

Having tried the Windows 8 UI with and without touch, my personal experience is it's horrible w/o touch but fantastic with. If you're just going to use it for XBMC it shouldn't matter though.
(2014-03-04, 00:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]Even in a 10-pack of motherboards, the individual NUC unit tends to be cheaper. If you want to go fanless your cheapest choice is going to be to buy the NUC and discard the case it comes in.
I might have to do that. If possible, I want to locate just the mobo though...

(2014-03-04, 00:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]Having tried the Windows 8 UI with and without touch, my personal experience is it's horrible w/o touch but fantastic with. If you're just going to use it for XBMC it shouldn't matter though.
We love our Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 UI, and we plan to upgrade some of our Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Since they are coming out with free version, I might wait till then....

(2014-03-04, 00:11)seapoint Wrote: [ -> ]I gather from your timezone that you're on the West coast US? I'm in Dublin Ireland so have been looking at the European suppliers such as http://minipc.de/catalog/gl/93
Thanks for the link, but it is in Europe.

(2014-03-04, 00:11)seapoint Wrote: [ -> ]Believe it or not, I was very lucky to pick up a D54250WYK from a very generous donor, all I had to do was pick up the mSata and ram.
You have better luck than me, and good for you!
I've started looking into doing a fanless PC also, and am considering a NUC. But how do you know which MB is in which kit? Do you just have to hope that if the model numbers are similar that they are using the correct board? This fanless case only works with two different boards, so I'm trying to figure out which NUC system I could buy to get one of those boards.
(2014-03-04, 07:52)KeithLM Wrote: [ -> ]I've started looking into doing a fanless PC also, and am considering a NUC. But how do you know which MB is in which kit? Do you just have to hope that if the model numbers are similar that they are using the correct board? This fanless case only works with two different boards, so I'm trying to figure out which NUC system I could buy to get one of those boards.
Just to be sure that everything will fit perfect, I'm going by what is recommended by the case manufacture below-

Well what I'm getting at is if it's cheaper to buy a kit, how do I know the motherboard model number in the kit? From the looks of it the kits with 3217 in the model number and two HDMI ports would appear to be a good match.
Here's one I believe to be a good match:
NUC Core i3-3217U DC3217IYE

Here's one with Thunderbolt that is close, but not quite right, but a real good price:
NUC Core i3-3217UDC3217BY

OK, well I just now followed your link to ebay and see that the MB is available for $150, but if I could get a comparable price via Amazon or someone more reliable that'd be nice. I was going off what Dougie Fresh said and looking around for kits that matched.

I need to give my Raspberry Pi a try with the 13 beta and see what I think of that, but if that doesn't do it for me, then I'm probably going this route. I may even have some memory and a power adapter that would work for this build. So all I need is the mSATA drive, MB and case. Not a bad price for what looks to be a reasonably powered system that is completely quiet.
Have a look at the Intel product page for the kit - there is a link on the right of the page entitled "View the board > "

http://www.intel.ie/content/www/ie/en/nu...50wyk.html

This should help :-)
(2014-03-04, 19:26)KeithLM Wrote: [ -> ]Well what I'm getting at is if it's cheaper to buy a kit, how do I know the motherboard model number in the kit? From the looks of it the kits with 3217 in the model number and two HDMI ports would appear to be a good match.
Here's one I believe to be a good match:
NUC Core i3-3217U DC3217IYE

Here's one with Thunderbolt that is close, but not quite right, but a real good price:
NUC Core i3-3217UDC3217BY

OK, well I just now followed your link to ebay and see that the MB is available for $150, but if I could get a comparable price via Amazon or someone more reliable that'd be nice. I was going off what Dougie Fresh said and looking around for kits that matched.

I need to give my Raspberry Pi a try with the 13 beta and see what I think of that, but if that doesn't do it for me, then I'm probably going this route. I may even have some memory and a power adapter that would work for this build. So all I need is the mSATA drive, MB and case. Not a bad price for what looks to be a reasonably powered system that is completely quiet.
For the red (and cheap) Thunderbold i3 NUC, there is a nice Silverstone semi passive housing. Semi passive because there is a backup fan that will go to work when the heat is on Wink

http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/product...37&area=en
No IR hole ? In silvertone case..
I'm using for my D34010WYK (i've got the kit, because i got it cheaper than the Board only version) the Streacom NC1-WY Case.
The build quality is awesome and the board fits perfect in the Case.
(2014-03-04, 19:31)seapoint Wrote: [ -> ]Have a look at the Intel product page for the kit - there is a link on the right of the page entitled "View the board > "

http://www.intel.ie/content/www/ie/en/nu...50wyk.html

This should help :-)

I looked all over those Intel pages and somehow missed those links. Either that or I was into some other Intel pages, their site isn't always the easiest to get through. Thanks.

(2014-03-04, 20:04)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]For the red (and cheap) Thunderbold i3 NUC, there is a nice Silverstone semi passive housing. Semi passive because there is a backup fan that will go to work when the heat is on Wink

http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/product...37&area=en

Well sweet. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3