Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC doesn't go out DP port to TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've installed XBMC 12.3 on a Lenovo W510 laptop. I've tried plugging it into my TV via a DP port with a DP-to-HDMI adapter to the TV's HDMI. During boot, the Lenovo boot shows up there, and the XBMC loading page, however the TV then gets a lost signal, and XBMC only appears on the primary display (the laptop, even if the lid is closed).

If I instead login to xbmcbuntu, both the laptop and TV will work as an extended screen, but not a dupllicate (which also doesn't work well, since mostly the laptop is shut).

I read a few threads on using X -configure, but mostly can't get that to work (can't shutdown X correctly), and tried moving the xorg.conf so that a new one is created (also doesn't change behavior).

Should this work more seemlessly? Should there be monitor settings in XBMC? I found the settings under System, however it doesn't seem to recognize that there is more than just the primary monitor.

Sorry if there are threads covering this, but I tried searching and didn't find anything... feel free to point me at an existing thread if there is one.

EDIT: I've tried this both plugged into the laptop directly, and using the Lenovo docking station; no difference in behavior.
I'm guessing this doesn't happen at all for other people? Am I dealing with a problem, or just lack of knowledge on how to get this working correctly? Anyone?
mainline Xbmc doesn't support multi monitor due to the SDL library. Either turn off the notebook display or use the xbmc version from my fernetmenta-master ppa. This has SDL dropped and supports multi monitor.
Hi wsnipex, thanks for your reply. As far as "turn off the notebook display", what exactly do you mean by that? I can't find any easy way to tell XBMC that the display is off... do you mean in the BIOS or something where I tell the laptop that the laptop display should be off in lieu of the external display? In general for most systems, how do you do what you propose, of turning off the notebook display?
xrandr, xorg.conf or simply close the lid.

google is your friend here, really
Sigh. I've mentioned this before, but I've tried modifying xorg.conf. Most google posts mention shutting down X, but I haven't successfully had that happen. The X configure commands don't appear to translate well.

Maybe this isn't obvious, but I've tried shutting the lid. I've done that prior to boot, and also after bootup. No go... as I mentioned, the BIOS boot screen appears on secondary monitor, the XBMC loading appears, but XBMC itself only goes on the primary, which I will see as soon as I open the lid.

I know, I haven't posted detailed comments here, and it may seem like I'm just some Joe Shmoe who downloaded this and is complaining without issue, but I'm an IT guy, and I've been using some form of Linux and UNIX for the last 20 years.

I'll go play with it again and come back to you with more details and links to the google posts that haven't helped me. AGAIN: if you have a link to something which describes X settings or other things in regards to multiple monitors or disabling multiple monitors, feel free to point me at those. Thanks.
OK, so the ThinkPad has a BIOS setting for turning off the laptop display, and instead setting the display in use. That's a start.

XBMCbuntu has some Monitor Settings you can find under the "Start" menu somewhere (don't have it in front of me). There you can easily set the resolution, and which monitor, is being used. Using the Save button appears to make it persistent across boots.

All this resulted in me having the boot, XBMC loading, and finally XBMC windows on my TV out of the DP > HDMI ports. Great. Now audio wasn't working. I found a few threads on that, but it's mostly misleading because they argue whether or not audio can go through a DP > HDMI adapter (it can, this is just a red herring in my case), but eventually I found in XBMC under the Settings menu there are Audio settings that allow you to select which Audio profile to use, and I had to cycle through these and find the one associated with the specific DisplayPort.

Voila, everything is working and no need to use X or xorg or xrandr stuff... most of this is easy to get to in XBMC, you just have to look under the settings (all assuming that XBMC detects your hardware, which I always saw that it did, it just wasn't using the right ones by default).