Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UPnP and SSH works on Ethernet, not on WLAN.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having a weird issue and I can't figure out what to do. I'm new to XBMC and Linux so bear with me. This is my first project with a RPi.

Using ethernet, I got OpenElec working with my UPnP servers and even installed some software remotely using SSH and SFTP. After that, I switched over to my wifi dongle to get it ready to move the media player to its new home, but after I did that, I could no longer connect through SSH. I also tried the UPnP servers I use on my other devices and, while they were still saved in XBMC, I can't connect to them over wifi. I can't browse UPnP servers either. I get a "Could not connect to network server" when trying to connect to the Serviio server on my other machine. I verified that I am connected to the internet by installing Add Ons and playing Youtube videos. The problem is consistent, if I switch back to ethernet cable, upnp and ssh work. I verified that switching between ethernet and wlan does switch the IP address.

I originally thought it was a problem with OpenElec, but I'm having the exact same issue with XBian so I'm thinking it's either the hardware or XBMC. I thought I'd check here before I bought a new wifi dongle. Is there something that may be blocking part of the traffic over wifi? The DLNA/UPnP server software resides on a Windows 7 machine, but this is the only device that has this issue. My WDLive, XBox, Android, and Squeezebox all connect to my UPnP servers fine.

Any help is appreciated.
Code:
ping server

what is the ip address on wired cf wireless?
some wlan routers separate traffic between lan and wlan. Also make sure there is no firewall blocking upnp.
(2014-03-04, 09:18)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]some wlan routers separate traffic between lan and wlan. Also make sure there is no firewall blocking upnp.

I disabled the firewall and it UPnP servers worked. I turned it back on and the servers I connected to when it was off worked, the rest didn't. I rebooted with the firewall on, no servers worked. I turned the firewall back off and none of them work. I have no idea what the heck is going on.
If i am following right i see that ONLY wifi connected devices are not connecting, If that is the case look for a setting Like "wireless isolation" in your router settings. What Make Model of router are you using. Can you run an ifconfig on the pi while on wifi and post it, as well as a ipconfig on your hardwired windows machine?
Ok, I think I see what's going on, but I don't know how to fix it. My server with the UPnP software runs Windows. When I disable the Windows PUBLIC firewall, I can connect through wifi. If I only disable the private firewall, I can't.

Does this offer any clues as to what's blocking it? I also bought another wifi dongle to verify it wasn't that and the problem persists.

(2014-03-09, 20:32)oarko Wrote: [ -> ]If i am following right i see that ONLY wifi connected devices are not connecting, If that is the case look for a setting Like "wireless isolation" in your router settings. What Make Model of router are you using. Can you run an ifconfig on the pi while on wifi and post it, as well as a ipconfig on your hardwired windows machine?

My router is a Linksys E3000. I will try to run an ifconfig and get back to you.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:db8:1::1003
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5413:1037:d05:f2fa%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.127
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:2486:1640:93d0:7104
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2486:1640:93d0:7104%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

There are settings on my router in the advanced wireless section labeled "AP Isolation"; they're disabled.
Not sure if these are the setting you need, but I found them in XBMC's network info page:

Link: Connected
MAC address: 80:1F:02Big Grin3:8D:BD
IP address: 192.168.2.134
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.1
Internet: Connected
youre already behind the firewall of your router...there is no need for a second firewall

no offense...but if you cant handle the windows firewall, disable it...it just a waste of time
Sounds like you've configured the wifi network as a public network on the Windows machine. Remove ("forget") the network and reconnect to it, then select Home network, that should make it use the Private firewall profile. After that you should either disable the private firewall profile or add a rule to it to allow uPnP to work properly.