Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multi trouble ... HDMI + QNAP + Pioneer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

XBMC version 12.2.1 installed in a QNAP Nas TS-470
with HDMI cable trough
PIONEER receiver SC-70
with HDMI cable trough
SMASUNG 55f9000

i am posting in this forum because i didnt found on it any answer to this multi problem :

on the xbmc video setting :
trouble with resolution
if i plug the nas to the receiver and use the 1920x1080p, the screen turns green, return to normal color with1680x1050p
if i plug the nas to the screen without the receiver, i can use both 1080 or 1050.

same trouble with sound
no sound if i go trough the receiver
good sound if i plug the hdmi from the nas to the screen.

i didnt find a way to set the pioneer to accept xbmc

i am using different app to play video on the qnap and different video box,
it happens only with xbmc.

do you have any clue ?

tx for your help

Jules
I suspect you have an issue with the video color space that is being sent to your TV, either by your PC or the Amp. The thing is, it's rather difficult to know what may be the cause as there are multiple settings in multiple devices to consider... and as i don't have your specific hardware, i can't make specific comments on settings...

But i can pass on my experience as i have seen green video in my setup. Luckily this was quickly fixed within the TV by going to "Setup - Options - Color System" and setting this to "Auto" (rather than PAL, SECAM, NTSC, RGB, YPbPr, etc). "Auto" will allow the TV to determine what type to video signal is being received and adjust automatically.

From memory, this setting can be input dependent, so you may need to switch to each HDMI input and check your TV setup options for the color space settings for this input...

Cheers.
Tx for your answer
i have fixed the sound trouble, from HDMI to analogique.
for the color, i think this happens when the receiver try to upscale the video signal.
i have tried to change the color space of the screen but nothing change
its perfect when i use 1050 but green when i use 1080 in XBMC

it is not the screen because if i plug XBMC directly to the screen i can use both 1050 and 1080

do you know if in the future release of XBMC we can choose a better resolution than 1080 ?

do you know how to fix ssomething else : how to choose the good film in the scaning process of IMDB ?
sometimes they are multi films with same title, how to pick the good one ?

i found the second parti here :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Inc...ing_videos

tx
It seems a little odd that an Amp will alter the video signal color space when deinterlacing and/or upscaling. But could it possibly be that your PC or Amp is detecting a film based source and converting the video to 24 frames per second which the upstream device can't handle (rather than a color space issue as i first thought) Huh

You may need to start at the source and work upstream towards the TV to understand what video capabilities exist and what video adjustments are being made by the devices in this chain. Unfortunately you'll have to delve into your TV and Amp manuals to understand all the many video settings, possibly turning off these 'smart' video features until you work out which one may be causing your green screen issue. Hopefully it's simply to turn off any video conversion features within your Amp Smile

As for better resolution, i currently have XMBC set to "2560x1440p" on one of my installs as that PC is connected to a Dell U2711 (which uses this native resolution). So to answer your question, the current Gotham handles >1080 resolution (as did the Frodo from memory) Smile

And XBMC sound can be an issue, especially if you want to watch a movie on your TV and either listen to the sound via the Amp speakers or via the TV speakers as i do. In such a usage scenario, when i'm using the Amp for sound, i want to "bitstream" the audio but when i'm using the TV for sound (as the Amp passes video/audio through when in standby) i need to set analog stereo audio, otherwise i get unwatchable video stuttering Sad So i need to continually jump into XBMC settings and switch from bitstream to analog which is a PITA. Pity XBMC can't read the audio part of EDID? and set sound capabilities automatically. Maybe this could be a future improvement?

Oh, and as for having the 'good one' picked during a library scan, i use the year within the file name, thus when there are multiple films with the same title, the scrapper has something else to use to differentiate which is 'good'. I'm not sure what happens with films like "black rain (1989).mkv" since there are two movies released with the same title in 1989 Confused I'd likely not notice this anomaly as i didn't know about the Japanese film being a gajing Smile
for the resolution
in the xbmc wiki : Resolution
Changes the resolution that the User Interface is displayed in.

the resolution setting affect only the interface not the movie displayed ?
(2014-03-08, 17:00)JulesofSF Wrote: [ -> ]for the resolution

When i'm using my U2711 monitor which natively supports 2560x1440 and have XBMC set to this resolution, both the GUI and the movie play at this resolution (verified by looking at the monitor menu:display info). What object actually handles any upscaling of the 1920x1080 video, whether it's the graphics card driver or XBMC application, isn't relevant, i can see my movies in 2560x1440p should i choose to watch them on my monitor Smile

Unfortunately it seems the wiki is in places inaccurate and out of date Sad
I think XBMC is not the trouble

i have the same issue ' no sound' with youtube or chrome
i think i cant have an audio output by the hdmi
or the HDstation is not working

do you know how to reinstall HDstation
i can delete HdStation from the nas settings, but i dont know how to replace it
Hi JulesofSF

I'm here in the forum because I have the same problem as you - both the color problem and the no sound issue!

I have much of the same hardware as you:
XBMC version downloaded last weeks as newest on QNAP Nas TS-470 Pro - don't know the exact version
PIONEER receiver LX77
SMASUNG 55F9000

HDMI from NAS -> LX77 (HDMI in 8) and HDMI from LX77 (HDMI out1) -> 55F9000 box

I've tried many things. No luck with the sound yet? I haven't tried YouTube yet nor Chrome.. Will do that soon.

How did you set analogue audio from the XBMC?

-Jonas
(2014-03-08, 17:00)JulesofSF Wrote: [ -> ]for the resolution

It changes both, except in some cases for the Raspberry Pi, but that probably doesn't apply here.
(2014-03-09, 06:51)JulesofSF Wrote: [ -> ]do you know how to reinstall HDstation
i can delete HdStation from the nas settings, but i dont know how to replace it
Sorry Jules, i don't own a QNAP NAS so i can't say how to install or uninstall any apps/os...

You could always google "reinstalling qnaps hdstation" where you should find posts like these: "install xbmc" and "QNAP HD Station". I haven't read the first myself but you should read it as it discusses xbmc installation issues.

Also look at the second link where you can go to the bottom of the page and clicking on your NAS model. You will then be taken you to a page for your specific NAS. From that page (scroll down a little) you can click on "App center" icon and you will be taken to the App Center for your NAS. From that page, scroll down to the bottom of the page (right most scroll bar) then scroll down to the bottom of the list (scroll bar within page) before scrolling the page up a little (again right most scroll bar).
It's not the best layout and can make it cumbersome to find the apps your after but you should see "HD Station" and "XBMC" apps with their respective download links provided. Presumably these are specially build packages for your specific NAS and presumably it's a click and install mechanism...

You may want to do some more googling to learn how to update firmware, OS, etc on your NAS.

Just note, caveat emptor. I don't own this NAS and thus can't know what and how it works or what issues may arise should you start uninstalling/reinstalling things - just make sure you backup your data first just in case the worst happens...

(2014-03-09, 07:09)frenjon Wrote: [ -> ]How did you set analogue audio from the XBMC?
-Jonas
Jonas, from within XBMC using the standard skin, got to <System> (you know the one along the ribbon which includes Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc). I use a mouse so when i hover over <System> i see <Settings> and then i click on this object. A popup appears and i again click on <System> which brings up another popup. Click on "Settings level" at he bottom left of the popup until Expert is displayed. Then click on <Audio output> where you can set the number of channels to 2.0 (click the arrow button up/down) and/or select the "audio output device" in the right hand pane. When i click the audio output device, i get another popup to select the device i desire, in my case "DirectSound-HDMI-Dell U2711-1". In the living room, i select "WASAPI-Pioneer...." from memory. Once your down, click the X to close what windows are still open and get back to the XBMC ribbon. Oh, and have the

The thing i have found is that my setup (Pioneer TV PDP-LX509 connected to Pioneer Amp SC-LX86 which has Sony Fat PS3 and HP Z210 Workstation connected to it) is very fussy with the HDMI cables it can use. There was one cable that worked when used from PS3 to TV directly but failed to provide video when connected either between the TV/Amp or Amp/PS3. Replacing this cable with a $5 one finally gave me a picture but i still don't understand why this would be Confused

On a few some rare occassions, i also had to fully power everything down, then power on the TV followed by the Amp with the PS3 & PC being turned on last, simply to get sound working... It was some HDMI/HDCP initialization issue that did not flag an error on the Amp and got the Amp/TV/PS3 all confused Confused

(I am now wondering if you guys have experienced similar odd issues with your HDMI/HDCP capable Pioneer Amp...)

Anyway, best to start with a simple configuration and build it up slowly...
1. Start with NAS connected directly to your TV and get it to work (2.0 channels and TV audio device set in XBMC).
(If you can't get this simple configuration to work, no point in complicating it with more devices in the chain...)

2. When you've got the TV+NAS working, disconnect the NAS and connect the Amp using the same HDMI cable and get the Amp to show it's menu on the TV screen to confirm the HDMI/HDCP connection between these devices is working.
3. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV/Amp and reconnect another of your HDMI cables to check that this one also works with your Pioneer Amp.
4. Do this test with each of your HDMI cables to verify they all work.

5. Set your Amp so that HDMI-8 which corresponds to your NAS is defined as "standby through" (Home menu > System setup > HDMI setup > Standby Through=HDMI-8)
(This will allow video & audio to bypass the amp and be sent to the TV when the Amp is in standby mode, removing the video enhancement features of the Amp).
6. Connect the NAS to HDMI-8.
7. Set XBMC to 2.0 channels and the audio device to your TV (if listed) or to the Amp (if not).
8. Fully power off all your devices (usually one needs to turn off the device and then switch off the power at the wall).
9. Turn on the TV (you did switch on the power at the wall didn't you).
10. Then turn on the Amp and put in standby mode before turning on the NAS.

If all goes well you should see your NAS UI on the TV and be able to launch XBMC and hear the movie from the TV (in glorious stereo 2.0 via HDMI)...

If you get video and audio with the Amp in standby but have issues with video (green video/screen) when the amp is on, then you need to look at the Amp video conversion/picture quality settings or the TV video settings. If you have video stuttering, look at XBMC sound settings.

Note that XBMC can not handle automatically switching from 2.0 to "passthrough" when you switch your Amp from "Standby" to "ON"... So you need to decide how you want to hear the movie (either from TV or AMP) and set it accordingly in XBMC, otherwise you will get unwatchable video if you set XBMC to passthrough the audio stream and your TV can't handle 5.1/7.1 decoding.

If you still have issues, it may be a QNAPS OS video/sound problem which i can't help you with as i don't know much about the QNAPS OS (linux based?).
Wow skylarking, thank you very much for your lengthy and detailed reply. I'll post back what I figure out when I have the time to go through all the steps.

-Jonas
Just an update on this matter.. I managed to get things to work by running the HDMI cable from the Qnap to the TV's HDMI2 - then I run a cable from the HDMI3 which has Audio Return Channel (ARC) back to the Pioneer receiver..

Now both 1080p and the sound works - have not gone higher than 5.1DD which the TV seems to be able to send back to the receiver.

I've linked the tv and the receiver under sound settings on the tv to output that to "Receiver". On the receiver I've enabled both HDMI Control and ARC.

I've yet to try out different HDMI cables.
I was like JulesofSF also able to confirm that sound doesn't work from from YouTube or the other HD Station apps..

Does anyone know if the Qnap 4.10 software update will include an update to the HD Station and or XBMC release which is rather old (May 2013) - running version 12.2.x if i remember correctly.

-Jonas
Hi, my example is slightly different.

I am using a version 1.4 HDMI cable to connect my QNAP 469 Pro NAS to my Panasonic smart TV TXP50GT50B, then a optical cable to connect to the Pioneer amplifier VSX-D2011 to give 5.1 sound although the amp is capable of 5.1 and 7.1 out of the 7.1 speaker setup.

My problem is the sound when using XBMC via HDMI.

At this time I can only get stereo 2.0 with a analogue setting. I have tried to get anything with Digital without any success. The Tv also has a audio analogue/digital input select via hdmi.

I understand that I should be able to get 5.1 through optical. I understand there is a custom setting in XBMC but don't know what to do. Failing this will a USB sound card work (any suggesgions). Huh

The picture is excellent