Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL - Decide whether to start XBMC using SQL database or not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I do have a lot of XBMC clients running Gotham Beta in my home (2x OUYA, 2xPC, 1xODROID and my HTC OneX) and they all share the same library (except for one Frodo installation, since I can't let go of the incredible NEON skin).

When I'm not at home or not in my network, I really can't use XBMC. I need to temporary rename advancedsettings.xml to get XBMC to boot. Is there a plugin or anything similar, that checks MySQL connectivity and depending on the result, it will connect to the SQL database or probably to a local installed database?

SQL is waaaaay to awesome to not use that solution with multiple clients.
Use profiles.
Master user should be set to local sources and the additional user with MySQL.
I'll try that. I've never gave the profile feature that much attention.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It does work but not 100% perfect. The master profile (which uses SQL library) is trying to get access before the profile selector even comes up. In my case, the additional profile that I want to use when not @Home has to be the profile with access to the SQL library.

I can live with that but should XBMC behave like this anyway? Not booting completely when SQL connection for database fails?

For me, my question has been solved.
I have a similar setup. MYSQL for all the different clients around the house. But when I take my laptop to my cottage for example I didn't have access to the sql database that resides on my main PC at home.

What I found worked best for me was to create a second shortcut on my laptops desktop using the "-p" (portable option) to start XBMC, which I named "XBMC - Roaming". The portable option uses a its own advancedsettings.xml as well as I was able to define unique local sources for this machine.

When I am home I use the XBMC shortcut, when I'm out I use the XBMC - Roaming shortcut. I just need to remember to drop some movies and tv shows into the local folders before heading out.
(2014-03-07, 17:32)MrHenky Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try that. I've never gave the profile feature that much attention.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It does work but not 100% perfect. The master profile (which uses SQL library) is trying to get access before the profile selector even comes up. In my case, the additional profile that I want to use when not @Home has to be the profile with access to the SQL library.

I can live with that but should XBMC behave like this anyway? Not booting completely when SQL connection for database fails?

For me, my question has been solved.

Yep. Master profile needs to be the "portable/mobile" profile.