Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help Needed - No Text In XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As title... Something "happened" a couple of weeks ago, and since then I've got no text in the XBMC menus.

Windows Home Server 2011
ATI HD 6450
ATI catalyst drivers 14.2
XBMC 13.0

The above is how things stand at the moment, but I have tried at least 6 previous versions of the ATI drivers and also XBMC 12.2 and 12.3 with identical results.

I can't put my finger on what happened to cause this - all automatic updates are disabled on the server.

I've removed every previous ATI driver and tried a clean install of various different driver versions - to no avail. I've tried running XBMC in XP SP3 compatability mode - no joy with that either.

Can anyone give me any further instruction? I've got 4TB of media sat there doing nothing at the moment ;(

Thanks in advance....
I think there's a beta version of the ATI drivers that has a fix. At least it sounds like the same issue.
Don't suppose you have <allowd3d9ex>false</allowd3d9ex> in your advancedsettings.xml do you? On my previous 6450 + XBMC that caused no, or little, text.
Thanks for the reply guys....

(2014-03-12, 08:15)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I think there's a beta version of the ATI drivers that has a fix. At least it sounds like the same issue.

I'm running the current beta drivers, but no good.... I've also tried several other versions of the driver from 12.10 to present.....

(2014-03-12, 08:47)Piers Wrote: [ -> ]Don't suppose you have <allowd3d9ex>false</allowd3d9ex> in your advancedsettings.xml do you? On my previous 6450 + XBMC that caused no, or little, text.

I don't even have an advancedsettings.xml file.....

Anyone else got any ideas?

I should add that I can fumble my way through to the settings menu and if I change the font from ariel, I get text everywhere - but it's Chinese!

It's like I have a corrpupt font cache or something.... Is there a way to uninstall XBMC and then reinstall keeping all my data? - Or am I barking up the wrong tree??
Chinese? Sounds like something is very odd about your set up. If it was my HPTC I would remove everything, including all user data, and install a fresh Gotham nightly. If you can see text then start to add your media and add-ons.

You can use portable mode by changing (I think) the shortcut to -p at the end. Maybe someone could correct me on that.
Hmmm.... Uninstalled and removed all user data. Installed a clean version of 13.0 - same problem.....

I believe it is ATI's sh!tty drivers but I have no idea what else to try having completely removed all trace of them already.....

SadSadSadSad
OK - I uninstalled XBMC again.... Deleted all the profile folders and every single reference I found in Windows (folders and registry)...again.

Installed 13.0 Beta 2 and everything is perfect.

I have no clue what was going on but in the end it wasn't too tumultuous to remove the lot and start afresh. At least now I have nice clean libraries and a fully functioning - and much quicker - XBMC install Big Grin