Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI no sound mp4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

When I watch a MKV file on XBMC through HDMI everything works fine and the sound comes through the TV, when I watch a MP4 or AVI however, the sound only comes through my laptop.
I'm running Windows 8.1 with XMBC 12.3 and in audio settings the output is set to HDMI. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Nick0Teen
Have you set both the Audio output device and Passthrough output device to the HDMI device.
Audio output is set to HDMI, Audio Output Device is set to Directsound the other option is WASAPI, but this setting produces no sound at all. The Passthrough output device is set to "Error - No Devices Found" and can't be changed. When I play a MP4 or MKV file in VLC or WMP the audio output always comes through HDMI, however in XBMC the audio output only comes through HDMI for MKV files, but not for MP4 or AVI files.
Set both to WASAPI or DS and make sure you tick the box in Windows for that device to be exclusively used.
(2014-03-13, 11:58)Nick0Teen Wrote: [ -> ]Audio output is set to HDMI, Audio Output Device is set to Directsound the other option is WASAPI, but this setting produces no sound at all. The Passthrough output device is set to "Error - No Devices Found" and can't be changed. When I play a MP4 or MKV file in VLC or WMP the audio output always comes through HDMI, however in XBMC the audio output only comes through HDMI for MKV files, but not for MP4 or AVI files.

A debug log is needed then to see what's going on, see log_file (wiki) for instructions, and make sure to play both mkv & mp4 when producing the log so both scenarios can be seen in the log and any differences spotted.
Solved the issue by setting Audio output to "Opctical/Coax" instead of HDMI. Works for both MKV and MP4. Thanks for the help though!