Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to remap audio channels (HDMI)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Been very much enjoying using XBMC on an Android TV box, and for the most part everything is perfect. However, one tiny thing that's not is that the audio channels seem to be "mixed up" when playing 5.1 audio over HDMI (as processed by XBMC, not passed through to the receiver). For instance, the centre channel comes through the left surround speaker, and the surround channels seem to have ended up in the main left and right channel. Not the end of the world, but makes for a slightly imperfect viewing experience.

It could well be an Android issue rather than XBMC, but the same files played through MX Player or eHomeMediaCenter seem to route the correct channel to the correct speaker. There's no obvious way of adjusting the channel output within XBMC, so if anybody has any suggestions they are happy to share, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Happy to dig out a Debug Log if anyone thinks it would be useful.

Thanks,

AP.

(Edited to add - this is an MK808B box, upgraded to a firmware that allows a sound card option of ROCKCHIP 5POINT1 PASSTHROUGH, although passthrough does not seem to work in XBMC)
Android only has two-channel audio unless you are using passthough (on a device that support it). Passthrough means, no-one touches the bitstream and "passes it though' untouched. There is nothing XBMC can do regarding channel order when you are doing passthough.
Thank you for your quick response, davilla. So if I understand correctly, regardless of application, the only way I am hearing surround sound from the Rockchip box is because it is all going through passthrough and my receiver is dealing with it instead?

I guess my next question might be outside the XBMC expertise and I'm happy to go away and ask it elsewhere, but do you (or does anyone) know of any reason why the exact same file played in MX Player or in XBMC - with both presumably just passing through the same audio bitstream to the receiver - should have a different audio outcome from each player?

Many thanks,

AP
not a clue. perhaps if we have a sample of this file, it would help. Same for a xbmc.log