Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC IR setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2015-04-27, 06:38)leetwanker Wrote: [ -> ][code]Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0c16:0002 Gyration, Inc. RF Technology Receiver

[code]

I know my remote can be used with lirc,

Lirc is IR your receiver says its RF
(2015-04-27, 21:02)FishOil Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-27, 06:38)leetwanker Wrote: [ -> ][code]Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0c16:0002 Gyration, Inc. RF Technology Receiver

[code]

Is there a different program that handles RF remotes? I've seen people use lirc to configure my remote. link

In fact, I've done it myself. I've just never had problems like the ones in my post.
(2015-04-27, 21:07)leetwanker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-27, 21:02)FishOil Wrote: [ -> ]

[code]

Is there a different program that handles RF remotes? I've seen people use lirc to configure my remote. link

In fact, I've done it myself. I've just never had problems like the ones in my post.

Sorry, I cant help you with that.

Everything I deal with is IR.

Lirc is pretty easy and straight forward with the correct receiver and just about ANY IR remote.

IMO there are far better remotes then the one you have.

Is there some reason you want this particular remote receiver combination?
(2015-04-27, 21:17)FishOil Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-27, 21:07)leetwanker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-04-27, 21:02)FishOil Wrote: [ -> ]Lirc is IR your receiver says its RF

Sorry, I cant help you with that.

Everything I deal with is IR.

Lirc is pretty easy and straight forward with the correct receiver and just about ANY IR remote.

IMO there are far better remotes then the one you have.

Is there some reason you want this particular remote receiver combination?

Well, the main reason is because I already own it, and there's nothing really wrong with it. Dunno why I should spend money on another remote just because lirc doesn't love it.

The other reason is that I know it will work with linux, and I'd rather fix a problem that spend my way out of it. Keep in mind, I'm not the only one getting this error message.
An RF remote will usually just emulate a keyboard, which is simple to work with.

Open a terminal and press some buttons. Are characters printed?
(2015-04-28, 01:37)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]An RF remote will usually just emulate a keyboard, which is simple to work with.

Open a terminal and press some buttons. Are characters printed?

Hmm, how do I open a terminal from Kodi? An ssh session isn't going to pickup any local keystrokes.
Good point.
(2015-04-28, 02:02)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Hey is this any use to you?

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gyration-based_MCE_Remotes

Nice find. I'd love to give those a shot, unfortunately I'm having a problem with /etc/lirc/ being a readonly filesystem so can't edit/create files there. Also, there's no hardware.conf or lircd.conf. There is a lircd.conf.rpi, not sure if that's a a replacement for lircd.conf, but I suspect it is.

So if it's a readonly filesystem, does lirc look somewhere else for custom config files?
Actually I am floundering a bit as I don't know ALL the ins and outs, but this article http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-b...e-control/ is pretty good at setting up a remote on openelec.

If the remote supports hid and creates an input device, i would think it should work with LIRC via devinput. However that is dependent of course on that remote device being supported in openelec.

Anyway, that article is the bees knees IMHO.
(2015-04-28, 03:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I am floundering a bit as I don't know ALL the ins and outs, but this article http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-b...e-control/ is pretty good at setting up a remote on openelec.

If the remote supports hid and creates an input device, i would think it should work with LIRC via devinput. However that is dependent of course on that remote device being supported in openelec.

Anyway, that article is the bees knees IMHO.

Looks like a nice guide. Unfortunately I failed at the first step. Running irw and pressing keys doesn't pick up anything. =(

Is lirc even actually running?
Code:
Kodi:~ # ps aux|grep lirc
  213 root       0:00 /usr/sbin/eventlircd -f --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/run/lirc/lircd --release=_UP
  476 root       0:07 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
  580 root       0:00 grep lirc

I copied /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.rpi to ~/.config/lircd.conf like it says in this openelec wiki guide. Problem is, the guide also says this should work to reload the config:
Code:
Kodi:~ # killall -HUP lircd
killall: lircd: no process killed

Being that no process is being killed, I have to assume it's not running in the first place. I feel like a complete dunce right now for not being able to figure out what my problem is.
I just wanted to post an update for anyone else having the same sorts of problems I was having.

I decided to give OSMC a shot to see how it would work. All the problems I was having with OpenELEC disappeared. My remote works nearly flawlessly out of the box with no lirc config changes. Other problems like .mkv files not playing have also disappeared. So far, no new problems have cropped up. (crossing my fingers!)
Pages: 1 2 3