Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple artist tags in Music Video nfo files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Could anybody please tell me whether I can write multiple artists tags into the nfo file of a music video? Can I for example write the following:

Code:
<musicvideo>
    <title>songtitle</title>
    <artist>artist 1</artist>
    <artist>artist 2</artist>
    <artist>artist 3</artist>
</musicvideo>

According to the forum, multiple genre tags seem to be supported, but I could not find the answer for the artist tag.

Thanks in advance for any reply.
This works for me
Yes, or
Code:
<artist>Artist 1 / Artist 2</artist>

scott s.
Thanks for both answers.

The version with the multiple artist tags seems more explicit; thus I will probably do it that way.

I can imagine, that the second way with the slash has the advantage of being usable with nfo managers that are not designed to support multiple artist tags.

Does anybody know if there is a nfo manager that supports multiple artists by using the multiple tag method?

Cheers
My general method is to use music tagging software and I keep all my music video in mp4 format with tags. I don't have the perfect solution, but I hacked someone's MediaMonkey report script to create nfos. You can also do it in mp3tag, but AFAIK you can only create one export file at a time, so if you are doing many files it is a bit of a chore.

One thing to watch out for is if you need non-latin characters, some tagging software will store strings in UTF-16, but for XBMC it can only be UTF-8 in nfo fles or the nfo will be ignored.

scott s.
(2014-03-18, 07:54)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]My general method is to use music tagging software and I keep all my music video in mp4 format with tags. I don't have the perfect solution, but I hacked someone's MediaMonkey report script to create nfos. You can also do it in mp3tag, but AFAIK you can only create one export file at a time, so if you are doing many files it is a bit of a chore.

I have recently started to use kid3 on linux to tag my mp4 files. But I have not used the mp4 container on many files until now; most use the mpg container. Thus, I would have to move them all into a mp4 container. But I am still unsure: another option would be to move them to a mkv container, that has a free license. The tagging is more labour intensive for mkv files; but appearantly there is an application mkvtagger running on windows, which supports tagging of mkv files without a full remux.

For the moment, I left them in their original container and I used the windows application XBMC Music Video nfo Creator to create the appropriate nfo files. Luckily, most filenames already were in a format suitable for the XBMC Music Video nfo creator. For the others, I renamed them or added multiple artists by hand.

Quote:One thing to watch out for is if you need non-latin characters, some tagging software will store strings in UTF-16, but for XBMC it can only be UTF-8 in nfo fles or the nfo will be ignored.

Thanks for having pointed out the issue about the nfo file encoding. I hope that XBMC will in some future release be able to also read UTF-16 encoded files; not because I would like to use it, but simply in order to avoid it not being incompatible.

Though you pointed to the problem of the UTF-16 encoded nfo files, I suppose that properly tagged mp4 files do not need an nfo file; or did I get something wrong?

And what about Matroska files? Is XBMC able to get the the information about artists, title,... from the appropriate xml text contained/muxed in the mkv files?

As the main concern of this thread has been addressed in the two first replies of this thread, I am marking it as solved.

Cheers
(2014-03-24, 15:57)ludi Wrote: [ -> ]Though you pointed to the problem of the UTF-16 encoded nfo files, I suppose that properly tagged mp4 files do not need an nfo file; or did I get something wrong?

And what about Matroska files? Is XBMC able to get the the information about artists, title,... from the appropriate xml text contained/muxed in the mkv files?

I don't think XBMC will read any tags in video files, even though it has a tag reader for M4A for music. So if a scraper can't get enough info from the filename you have to supply the nfo. My problem is that MediaMonkey stores meta data in its database as UTF-16 so my report writer gets that encoding.

scott s.
(2014-03-24, 23:59)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think XBMC will read any tags in video files, even though it has a tag reader for M4A for music. So if a scraper can't get enough info from the filename you have to supply the nfo.

So, I will stick to the nfo files also for the Music Videos, as my first attempts to have XBMC get the information about the title from the Internet was not very successful (many files were not recognized; maybe that the music video scraper has improved in the meantime).

Thanks scott967 for your helpfull replies.

Cheers