Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Testing themes without texture packer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there anyway to test out themes without packing them into a textures file first or creating an entire copy of the skin?

Failing that, is there a copy of texture packer somewhere that works for snow leopard?
This one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156611 seems to only work on Mountain Lion. Compiling things on the mac is painful.
(2014-03-20, 06:01)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]Is there anyway to test out themes without packing them into a textures file first or creating an entire copy of the skin?

Failing that, is there a copy of texture packer somewhere that works for snow leopard?
This one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156611 seems to only work on Mountain Lion. Compiling things on the mac is painful.

jurialmunkey,

in the skins media directory rename the textures.xbt file to something else (foobar.xbt?) and then drop all of the image files into this directory. As you can't rely on textures.xbt to supply fallback images for anything that you don't want to change, you will need to make sure that ALL of the skins image files are present. Now if you want to go back to the original image files you will need to change the skin theme to whatever you changed the name of textures.xbt to (foobar from the example above) in the Appearances menu under the "- Theme" setting.

Hope that helps.
Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
@wyrm -- Its to test out different colour themes for my own skin, so there aren't any textures.xbt at all as yet - just my pngs. I just wanted a way to test a few colour themes (need to change one or two textures) without having to compile texture packer or make duplicate test skins.
(2014-03-20, 06:54)jurialmunkey Wrote: [ -> ]@wyrm -- Its to test out different colour themes for my own skin, so there aren't any textures.xbt at all as yet - just my pngs. I just wanted a way to test a few colour themes (need to change one or two textures) without having to compile texture packer or make duplicate test skins.

@jurialmunkey, yep sorry about that mate, I did wonder why you did not know about themes. I have not tried this but you could try setting up a themes directory in your skin as discussed in this thread. Can't see why this would not work, but as I said, have not tried it myself.

Best of luck with this, oh and BTW let us know if it works, as it would be useful if it does.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
I already tried adding a themes directory but it didn't seem to work. Seems it is only for sending to the repo so that the texture packer script grabs them and creates the required .xbt in /media. Else I'm doing something wrong -- I created themes folder in base skin dir, then in that a folder with the Theme name matching the colour xml (e.g. Green for Green.xml) then put the textures inside that as per the usual /media but didn't seem to work.
Only works with xbt files in the media directory afaik. Without compiling duplicate media folders seems like the easiest way, rename one or the other to test the themes. The themes directory is purely for creating themes when the skin gets build for official repo.
Themes folder outside media folder?
themes/name/ and put all pngs in there doesn't work?
(2014-03-20, 09:23)butchabay Wrote: [ -> ]Themes folder outside media folder?
themes/name/ and put all pngs in there doesn't work?

nope Undecided
For Testing i do it realy simple
i've got just a Folder per Theme with the relevant images in it, and copy paste them in the media Folder to see how it looks.
Pretty simple. Don't knew if there other solutions around.