Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crash while playing music if HDTV is off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have XBMC, latest Frodo, installed on mini PC (ZBOX ID83) which is connected to a Receiver (RX-1900) which is connected to a 55" Samsung Smart TV.

XBMC either crashes or simply stops playing audio everytime at random.
The process is:
1. Both TV and Receiver are off. PC might be off or on (usually on).
2. XBMC is run and I play an album using Yatse remote.
3. Put the receiver in "Pure Direct" mode, which means all video circuits are off.
4. After 30 seconds to a few minutes (it varies) there is no audio.
5. Turn on the HDTV, XBMC at this point might display the wrong resolution i.e. it is as if XBMC is zommed in and only part occupies the entire screen. It seems, in the display, as the song keeps playing but it doesn't.
6. XBMC does not respond so I close it, replay from last song, turn off the TV, put the receiver in "Pure Direct" mode and the entire thing happens again after a while.

If I recall correctly the above happens with HDTV on as well but I'm not sure.
I never loose audio when playing a movie.

XBMC log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155300

I found something older, but probably relevant since this is the only error I got, called "xbmc_stacktrace" which had the following:
Thread 4236 (process 2700)
# 0
# 1
# 2 RtlInitUnicodeString

And there is a crash log from the same date as the xbmc_stacktrace but I don't how to attach it here.

Thanks for your help
This looks like a handshake issue created by HDCP protection, your panel & the source are consistently sending information packets back & forth, which includes aspect, size acknowledgement etc.. Some of the suggestions might work in your case. Another novel option is blinding out one of the HDMI pins, so that it looks like your display is always on.. this fix is not guaranteed to work.

here's the link that might clarify what you're dealing with http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extre...-hdmi.aspx
Try the Pin 19 trick. Its simple to do, and if its a no-go - its easily undoable.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1357945

Also see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189235

Some similar issues have been resolved with Gotham Beta2
(2014-03-23, 18:53)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]This looks like a handshake issue created by HDCP protection, your panel & the source are consistently sending information packets back & forth, which includes aspect, size acknowledgement etc.. Some of the suggestions might work in your case. Another novel option is blinding out one of the HDMI pins, so that it looks like your display is always on.. this fix is not guaranteed to work.

here's the link that might clarify what you're dealing with http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/extre...-hdmi.aspx

(2014-03-23, 21:08)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]Try the Pin 19 trick. Its simple to do, and if its a no-go - its easily undoable.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1357945

Also see here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189235

Some similar issues have been resolved with Gotham Beta2

Thanks guys.

I can't say I like any of the solutions :-) turning off and on the PC is out of the question, I might try to see if a better HDMI cable will help, the one I have between my AVR and Mini PC is from dealextreme. I already updated all drivers and firmwares.

I wonder if it is truely the handshaking thing, since it is quite random and I have no problem with watching movies, in the link you sent it seems the handshaking problem will arise during a movie as well if one of my components is not HDCP compliant, for that reason getting the HDMI detective is a 100$ gamble.

If I understand correctly the Pin 19 trick will not survive a reboot and I'll have to enable the pin and disable it again every time I reboot, right?

I think the more elegant solution would be connecting the mini PC using SPDIF for music and HDMI for movies, it's not optimal and will drive my wife crazy, she finds it all too complicated as it is LOL.

Do you think AVR Audio Guard will be a good solution?

Thanks again
Standard disclaimer: I'm not an expert in reading these debug logs, so I may be misinterpreting.

It appears you have XBMC audio outputs set to use DirectSound instead of WASAPI. Is this intentional?

it might be that something is interrupting the sound device. At one point in the log it seems to indicate a lost connection with the audio device. Perhaps you have a sound playing in windows (like a new mail sound or other system or application sound). If so, this interruption might be causing your glitching, and would fit in with the random occurrence you have noted and the fact you appear to be using DirectSound (which allows this sharing of the audio device).

You could try changing XBMC to use WASAPI and test again. Ensure the audio device in Windows is set to allow exclusive mode (see the Windows audio wiki entry). WASAPI is generally recommended, at least I would.

Should the above not help you might want to try the streamsilence option in advancedsettings.xml.

And my last shot in the dark, do you have XBMC set to use true full screen or full screen window? You could try changing this to the other setting. I only mention this as it might be connected to the fact that you have your TV turned off.

Good luck.
(2014-03-24, 18:49)Jogee Wrote: [ -> ]Standard disclaimer: I'm not an expert in reading these debug logs, so I may be misinterpreting.

It appears you have XBMC audio outputs set to use DirectSound instead of WASAPI. Is this intentional?

it might be that something is interrupting the sound device. At one point in the log it seems to indicate a lost connection with the audio device. Perhaps you have a sound playing in windows (like a new mail sound or other system or application sound). If so, this interruption might be causing your glitching, and would fit in with the random occurrence you have noted and the fact you appear to be using DirectSound (which allows this sharing of the audio device).

You could try changing XBMC to use WASAPI and test again. Ensure the audio device in Windows is set to allow exclusive mode (see the Windows audio wiki entry). WASAPI is generally recommended, at least I would.

Should the above not help you might want to try the streamsilence option in advancedsettings.xml.

And my last shot in the dark, do you have XBMC set to use true full screen or full screen window? You could try changing this to the other setting. I only mention this as it might be connected to the fact that you have your TV turned off.

Good luck.

Thanks for that.

XBMC audio outputs was set to use DirectSound instead of WASAPI, I wonder why, I set it to WASAPI but maybe after it crashed it reverted to DirectSound, is that possible? I have no idea. In any case I don't think that is the reason since as I said I set it befor to WASAPI and still had the problem.

Windows sounds are already all disabled.

The audio device in Windows is already set to allow exclusive mode.

XBMC is set to "fullscreen window" ("Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is ticked), I'm not sure if this is good or not.
That brings me to an off topic question, I have the Video Output resolution set to 720P (my HDTV is 1080P) since it is easier to see the desktop items. does this affect the movie resolution displayed or just the applications GUI?

Never tried the advancedsettings.xml thing, couldn't find it, guess I need to add it by myself. I will try it later, but I think I saw in one post that it is not advisable to use it, I will check it out anyway, maybe that is the cure I'm looking for.

Thank you
I'm having exactly the same issue although I haven't tested music playback with the TV on to see if the same issue still happens.

It happened on Directsound and WASAPI for me. Still no came accross a solution yet as it's my partner who listens to music and she only ever does so when I'm at work.
(2014-03-27, 12:53)GTunney Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having exactly the same issue although I haven't tested music playback with the TV on to see if the same issue still happens.

It happened on Directsound and WASAPI for me. Still no came accross a solution yet as it's my partner who listens to music and she only ever does so when I'm at work.

still looking for a solution.
streamsilence method seems to help a bit but not completely, but it means that as long as XBMC is on nothing else will be able to use the audio card (such as youtube in a browser).
when the TV is off there is no issue.
no issue with winamp either, I think of using it as external player for XBMC but didn't manage to do that yet.
(2014-03-24, 23:10)Clonimus74 Wrote: [ -> ][partial quote]

XBMC audio outputs was set to use DirectSound instead of WASAPI, I wonder why, I set it to WASAPI but maybe after it crashed it reverted to DirectSound, is that possible? I have no idea. In any case I don't think that is the reason since as I said I set it befor to WASAPI and still had the problem.

XBMC is set to "fullscreen window" ("Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" is ticked), I'm not sure if this is good or not.
That brings me to an off topic question, I have the Video Output resolution set to 720P (my HDTV is 1080P) since it is easier to see the desktop items. does this affect the movie resolution displayed or just the applications GUI?

I've seen my setup revert to DirectSound on a few occassions. Certainly once was after it crashed, and another time was after I had updated the drivers. Neither time I noticed immediately as I thought things were working ok.

On that note, if you haven't already done so I'd say to update your video drivers (which should include the HDMI audio drivers as well). Get it directly from Intel.

I'm not near my HTPC to test, but the wiki seems to indicate it only affects the GUI. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

As you have XBMC set to "fullscreen window", is it possible that the power savings of windows are getting in the way? For example the display timeout. You could make a custom plan in windows that turns it all of, just to test. You could also try changing some of the power settings in XBMC as well as the associated screensaver setting.

This is all based on the theory that the display is timing out when you are playing music but don't notice as the TV is off. Movie playing is with the TV on and in a different mode where everything is active. Full screen window vs True full screen could affect this (I run true fullscreen, but don't have intel video).

Have you noticed the same happening when you leave the TV on? I don't recall reading that in the thread. As an aside and as others have noted, HDMI is sensitive to loosing the handshake. For example, turning off TV or AVR. I know in my setup I sometimes loose sync on the HDMI when I turn off the AVR with XBMC still running.
(2014-03-27, 16:49)Jogee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-24, 23:10)Clonimus74 Wrote: [ -> ][partial quote]

I've seen my setup revert to DirectSound on a few occassions. Certainly once was after it crashed, and another time was after I had updated the drivers. Neither time I noticed immediately as I thought things were working ok.

On that note, if you haven't already done so I'd say to update your video drivers (which should include the HDMI audio drivers as well). Get it directly from Intel.

I'm not near my HTPC to test, but the wiki seems to indicate it only affects the GUI. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

As you have XBMC set to "fullscreen window", is it possible that the power savings of windows are getting in the way? For example the display timeout. You could make a custom plan in windows that turns it all of, just to test. You could also try changing some of the power settings in XBMC as well as the associated screensaver setting.

This is all based on the theory that the display is timing out when you are playing music but don't notice as the TV is off. Movie playing is with the TV on and in a different mode where everything is active. Full screen window vs True full screen could affect this (I run true fullscreen, but don't have intel video).

Have you noticed the same happening when you leave the TV on? I don't recall reading that in the thread. As an aside and as others have noted, HDMI is sensitive to loosing the handshake. For example, turning off TV or AVR. I know in my setup I sometimes loose sync on the HDMI when I turn off the AVR with XBMC still running.

First, thank you for your response.

I updated my driver from Intel, didn't help.

I couldn't understand what you suggested regarding the power save, but I think the right move is to keep everything on, right? I will try it, it sounds logical.

My setup is, clearly, Mini-PC --> AVR --> TV
when the TV is on there's no problem, also no problem when using winamp, so I'm not sure the power saving will help, but I'll try.
the AVR is always on, of course, when listening to music, no sync loss here (especially with streamsilence).

still don't get which settings is better true full screen or full screen window?

Thank you
It doesn't matter which is better (true or full screen). It just matter if it helps you. Big Grin
I would still bump the Pin19 trick. It'll only take a few mins to do, test and eventually undo. Mask the pin, don't pull it. If it works, you'll have saved yourself a lot of brainbenching and possibly a few dollars.
HDMI cables (in most cases) either work or they don't. The middle ground (weak/intermittent signal) is impossible to miss - Artifacts, green/red pixel snow and full loss of signal. "All" my hdmi cables are DealExtreme goods. "High quality" cables usually only matter when working with serious EMI or long stretches (wich really should use signal repeater anyway). What matters is that plugs/terminals make good contact, and cable is up to specs for the relevant HDMI class.

Going to the settings and changing audio output to/from HDMI/s/pdif every time you want to change between music and video, is quite the hassle. You can circumvene this by using 2 profiles instead - same master library if you want (or just add the audio sources) - different audio settings. Map the profile switch to remote if you have one. By this route, you could also have a different skin setup or a different skin alltogether if you want - some setups can be more accomodating to "just" music playback.
(2014-03-27, 17:34)Clonimus74 Wrote: [ -> ]My setup is, clearly, Mini-PC --> AVR --> TV
If you haven't done it, you might want to turn off HDMI TV output in AVR.....

If you are still having problem, this "Gefen HDmi Detective Plus- good to have for HTPC" might be your best option....
(2014-03-27, 19:17)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-27, 17:34)Clonimus74 Wrote: [ -> ]My setup is, clearly, Mini-PC --> AVR --> TV

If you are still having problem, this "Gefen HDmi Detective Plus- good to have for HTPC" might be your best option....

I listen to music in "pure direct" mode, the video output is disabled in that mode in the AVR.

(2014-03-27, 18:58)pr0xZen Wrote: [ -> ]I would still bump the Pin19 trick. It'll only take a few mins to do, test and eventually undo. Mask the pin, don't pull it. If it works, you'll have saved yourself a lot of brainbenching and possibly a few dollars.
HDMI cables (in most cases) either work or they don't. The middle ground (weak/intermittent signal) is impossible to miss - Artifacts, green/red pixel snow and full loss of signal. "All" my hdmi cables are DealExtreme goods. "High quality" cables usually only matter when working with serious EMI or long stretches (wich really should use signal repeater anyway). What matters is that plugs/terminals make good contact, and cable is up to specs for the relevant HDMI class.

Going to the settings and changing audio output to/from HDMI/s/pdif every time you want to change between music and video, is quite the hassle. You can circumvene this by using 2 profiles instead - same master library if you want (or just add the audio sources) - different audio settings. Map the profile switch to remote if you have one. By this route, you could also have a different skin setup or a different skin alltogether if you want - some setups can be more accomodating to "just" music playback.

Please clarify one thing regarding the pin 19 thing. do i need to enable the pin 19 after every boot? or is it one time setup?

XBMC supports different profiles? I didn't know that. I use Yatse for Android, is that what you mean by remote? can the remote change the profiles? each one with different skin, did I understand you correctly?

If all else fails I think using winamp as external player will fix the issue and I'll be done with it.

I appreciate all your help, thank you
(2014-03-27, 20:51)Clonimus74 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-27, 19:17)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]

I listen to music in "pure direct" mode, the video output is disabled in that mode in the AVR.
It is not the same as turn off HDMI audio output to TV option....

It is worth mention that Pure/Direct seems to mean different things to different manufacturers. You still can get video using "Pure Direct" mode on newer AVR. In "Pure Direct" mode YPAO/Audyssey room correction is no longer engaged as well as any other audio processing....
Pages: 1 2