Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help needed ASAP. Intel NUC i3 or i5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys I am complete new to xbmc. I am thinking about buying today an Intel NUC i3 or i5 system today. Not sure if need 3rd or 4th gen. I am thinking 4gb DDR3 and maybe 120gb MSATA.

I am looking at doing the following:

Stream content from my iomega IX2-200 cloud NAS
Playback 3d movies
Playback 3d .iso files
Would like movies to playback with native sound. I am hooking this upto my Pioneer SC-1522-k in 9.2 surround sound.

Can I do this? Is there a good guide to help etc?
Why do you need a 120Gb ssd if all of your content is on a nas - no issues with a bigger ssd, but no real need for one? 4gb ram is plenty.
(2014-03-23, 19:18)prae5 Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you need a 120Gb ssd if all of your content is on a nas - no issues with a bigger ssd, but no real need for one? 4gb ram is plenty.

They right now have 120 for about same as 60.

I am not sure if needed it but for price might be worth it.

As for the playback how do I set that up?
Windows 8.1 pro (without WMC) will easily eat up 40-45GB. with some drivers and bloatware. If price levels are fairly equal, there is no reason to not get more for the same buck.

I'd advice towards 4th gen. And if you have a look at the newer NUC's, some are available as "H" models These are a cm or so taller, but they can accomodate a 2.5" drive. mSATA drives are very pricy compared to 2.5" drives.

If you're considering a Windows based NUC - I'd go with the i5. The i3 might be able to perform your metioned tasks. But besides from your requirements expanding over time, and the NUCs not being exactly upgrade friendly (Beyond storage and memory) - Windows has a well-documented history of getting more resource demanding with each update.
So I purchased today for this project:

Intel NUC D54250WYK
120gb MSATA
4gb DDR3 1600mhz

So I am looking for any help ideas etc on setting this up. At the moment I have a space Window 7 64bit Ultimate license so thinking about using that as OS.

I am new to XBMC and first time building a HTPC. I have built MANY high end water cooled gaming PC etc so I am very knowledgeable.
Anyone done this setup before?
(2014-03-24, 03:15)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]So I purchased today for this project:

Intel NUC D54250WYK
120gb MSATA
4gb DDR3 1600mhz

So I am looking for any help ideas etc on setting this up. At the moment I have a space Window 7 64bit Ultimate license so thinking about using that as OS.

I am new to XBMC and first time building a HTPC. I have built MANY high end water cooled gaming PC etc so I am very knowledgeable.
You can download it from here "Current Stable Release: 12.3 “Frodo”" and then do these- Simplify XBMC configurations......
(2014-03-24, 22:10)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel NUC D54250WYK
120gb MSATA
4gb DDR3 1600mhz

You can download it from here "Current Stable Release: 12.3 “Frodo”" and then do these- Simplify XBMC configurations......

Messing with it now. I just got Windows 7 64bit all updated and newest drivers all installed. Like I said this is new to me so learning as I go. Should I be using Frodo or the newest beta? I want to get setup so I can watch my BD .iso and 3D BD .iso files which not sure how to do this yet.
rmilyard,

I have pretty much the same setup as you. Love it.
You may want to consider implementing the Intel Rapid Start.
You'll have to create a special Hibernate Partition, and Intel Rapid Start software, but it's well worth it.
My NUC boots in 2-3 seconds, (As if it wasn't fast enough with the SSD) and act's more like a "Instant On" appliance.

Instructions and Software are in the Intel NUC Driver area.

Good luck! Have fun!

Cache
(2014-03-25, 03:57)lotsacache Wrote: [ -> ]rmilyard,

I have pretty much the same setup as you. Love it.
You may want to consider implementing the Intel Rapid Start.
You'll have to create a special Hibernate Partition, and Intel Rapid Start software, but it's well worth it.
My NUC boots in 2-3 seconds, (As if it wasn't fast enough with the SSD) and act's more like a "Instant On" appliance.

Instructions and Software are in the Intel NUC Driver area.

Good luck! Have fun!

Cache

I was looking for them but didn't find them.
Here's the link to the Intel Rapid Start User guide.
Grab the UEFI flavor.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...033637.htm

Software is located in the Driver area.

Good luck
(2014-03-24, 23:00)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]

Intel NUC D54250WYK
120gb MSATA
4gb DDR3 1600mhz

Messing with it now. I just got Windows 7 64bit all updated and newest drivers all installed. Like I said this is new to me so learning as I go. Should I be using Frodo or the newest beta? I want to get setup so I can watch my BD .iso and 3D BD .iso files which not sure how to do this yet.
If you want to enjoy blu-ray 3D MVC, you can do this "BD & 3D Advisor Overview" to verify your HTPC 3D capability, and they have very good instructions for how to setup 3D on PC too....

Intel NUC D54250WYK
120gb MSATA
4gb DDR3 1600mhz

Program crashes when I run it.
Try right/click and then "Run as administrator"...
(2014-03-25, 04:39)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]Try right/click and then "Run as administrator"...

Issue was can't run remotely. Runs find on computer.