Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DN2820FYKH vs OUYA in speed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so, the extra bucks aside, is this an upgrade to the ouya in terms of speed? Looking for a secondary box, is the DN2820FYKH significant faster?
I have ordered one of these DC3217BY from Amazon for £119 same price as the DN2820FYKH from http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/dn2820fykh/
Once tax and shipping are added.
I have read that it may be a bit slow in the menus and not play live TV very well (both of which I have no problem with on the ouya). I just wanted something a bit more that could link to my surround sound without issues. I still love the ouya and odroid for the other TV's.
The DC3217BY is a Core i3 Ivy Bridge NUC. It may have issues with 24p output (as Ivy Bridge CPUs don't output a perfect 23.976Hz refresh rate), but I don't know if the OUYA outputs 24p at all.

It has a passmark of 2295, which is pretty speedy. Compare it to the Celeron 1007U which is 1442, and is a very good XBMC platform, and I think you'll be pretty happy.

The 1007U is absolutely fine with Live TV - it will do VAAPI decoding with software YADIF 2x de-interlacing of 1080/50i delivering excellent Live TV results. If it can do it, I'm sure the 3217 will (given that it's more than 50% more powerful than the 1007U)

The N2820 has a passmark of 1048, less than half that of the 3217. AIUI the N2820 can't do YADIF 2x de-interlacing of 1080/50i (at the moment) Whether this is because the CPU isn't powerful enough or the de-interlacing code uses optimisations that aren't possible on the N2820 (I think it uses different SSE instructions?) I'm not sure. (There is always a possibility that the devs might find a way of optimising the code for the N2820 I guess)

If 23.976Hz isn't a major issue for people AND they are aware of the lack of Ethernet connections (so you need a Thunderbolt or USB Ethernet connector for cabled network connectivity), and no USB3, the DC3217BY is good value at that price.

The NUC will also do both HDMI HD Audio bit streaming (DTS HD and Dolby True HD), and will handle auto refresh rate switching (i.e. match the output refresh rate to the video being played) which Android platforms can't currently do.
Just to add to the above, currently the N2820 NUC can only do HD Audio (TrueHD & DTS-HD) bitstreaming in Linux, due to Intel not supplying the drivers the NUC is unable to do HD Audio in Windows.
DN2820FYKH will crush the OUYA.
(2014-03-25, 17:52)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]DN2820FYKH will crush the OUYA.
+1, it is in different league.....
thanks for the replys! already got a DC3217BY and im extremly happy with that! Just wanted to make sure the baytrail isnt a "slouch" compared to the ouya. I´ve never had any experience with baytrails.
DN2820FYKH is very capable. It might be small in numbers and stature, but these numbers often don't report HW decoding performance and capabilities.

It might not look like much, but then again - neither does Semtex.
Does anyone know when browsing streaming addons lets say youtube and etc, i noticed that the nuc i3 version is extremly more snappy then the ouya in the menus, fetching latest etc when pressing, and also starting the clip. how do the 2820FYK compare there?