Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
fdrzrich Wrote:Hmm, weird then, I'm also on build 6000...no secpol.msc or sec.msc found....very strange. Any ideas why I dont have it?

The instructions for changing settings are here, http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion...20929.html - post from 'ebob9' about half way down....let me know if it works!

That one works! :-)

I have an older installation of XBMC from May 2006. I changed the settings according to the post and voila. Shares work again. (tho not long named shares).

Quote:Ok, after some major tweaking, I got XBMC to communicate with Vista SMB shares.

Using Vista B2 build 5472.5, and a fairly recent T3CH XBMC build

I did it by editing my local security policy, among other things. I made a bunch of changes, all of which will make your Vista machine less secure, so be forewarned.

Here's what I did:

1) Shared folder containing files.
2) Made sure folder had "everyone" added as read, list, and execute permission to files
3) Checked share permissions, made sure that "everyone" had read permission to share.

4) Open a command prompt (cmd.exe), type mmc and hit <enter>
5) Vista will prompt for elevated security access for MMC, allow it.
6) When MMC loads, under file, select "Add or Remove Snap-In".
7) From the list of Snap-Ins, highlight "Group Policy Object Editor", hit "add".
8) A dialog box will appear, pick "Local Computer".
9) Hit 'OK'. You now should be back at the MMC panel
10) In the explorer pane, expand "Console Root" -> "Local Computer Policy" -> "Computer Configuration" -> "Windows Settings" -> "Security Settings" ->
"Local Policies". Click on "Security Options" under "Local Policies".
11) Under "Security Options", I made the following Changes:

Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation: Change to Enable
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts - Change to Disabled
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares - Change to Disabled
Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users - Change to Enable
Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares - Change to Disabled
Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously - I added my root share name here
Network access: LAN Manager authentication level - Change to LM & NTLM, send NTLMv2 if negotiated

12) Close MMC.
13) open up command prompt (cmd.exe) again.
14) type GPUpdate /force
15) Reboot PC and XBMC

This is what worked for me - you may need to do less or more for yourself, but things are working ok for me now. XBMC still prompts for a password every now and then, however if I leave them blank, it will pass through ok.

--ebob9
This one should be enough, or atleast it was before.

Network access: LAN Manager authentication level - Change to LM & NTLM, send NTLMv2 if negotiated

I though you guy already had tested this :/.
Quote:7) From the list of Snap-Ins, highlight "Group Policy Object Editor",
Anyone know why my Vista doesn't have that addin available to select, or why I cannot access 'secpol.msc'? I have version 6000 RTM....Huh
elupus Wrote:This one should be enough, or atleast it was before.

I though you guy already had tested this :/.

I did that to no avail. What's weird is, it worked for every other file. So, half of my movies are available while half are not. Especially annoying because some are two files (CD1, CD2). And, it still asks for a password. I'll play with it some more.
if some work some don't I promise you have a file permission error. Try this on one of the files that fail Copy (not move) it to another folder, delete original file, copy it back.
That doesn't work either. I still get access on exactly every other file, and the files I do get access to, I have to press twice to play. The first time I see all of the prep stuff, like caching and whatever, and then the second time it plays.

I've tried so many different things I'm about to explode.

A hair off-topic, if I switch to ccxgui, is there a way to edit the database so I have all of my thumbs and info without re-querying? I have over 200 movies...

I'd still like to figure out this samba thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
ok, had that problem with the smb sharing, fixed it yesterday, and just because I know how badly u need it, I'll tell you exactly what to do so you all be able to share your file in the good old smb method.
ok 1st thing 1st, just to ensure we have the same problem, I tried sharing files from my pc, using vista as OS, and all I get is "insert user name and password" in the xbmc.
what to do:
1. type "mmc" at the search bar. (you can do it from the "run" menu as well.
2. once you've accesed the mmc menu, press "file>add/remove snap-in..."
3. in this menu, click "Group policy managment>add" and than "group policy object>add>Finish" now press OK.
4. go to "local computer policy>computer configuration>windows settings>security settings>local policies>security options". now go to "network access: let everyone permissions apply to anonymous users" and chage it's value to "enabled".
5. close that "mmc" window and go to the search option again (or "run") at the start menu, and type "gpupdate / force", press enter. now restart your computer.

thats it for the changing part! now all you have to do is:
1st thing you need to get to the "network and sharing center".
you can do that by accessing "control panel>network and internet>network and sharing center".
at that window, press "file sharing>turn on file sharing" and "apply".
you can now close that window.
it doesn't matter wether you have public or private network.

now....

1. go to "computer", if you would like to share a whole partition or disk, right click it (for example: "d: drive"), and press "share...>advanced sharing" now check the "share this folder" box, type a share name and press "permissions". now confirm that you have "everyone" under "group or user names", if not, add it there, and press OK and again OK, and close the share window.
2. now this is the tricky part wich I didn't know, right click the partition again, and press "properties". go to the "security" tab and press "edit", you need to add the "everyone group in here too!! so press "add", and type "everyone". now OK to everything.

the sharing should be working for you now!!!

--- if you only wish to share a folder ---
1. right click on the folder>"share..."
2. you should see the new window for sharing>type "everone" at the blank line, and press the "add" button.
3. press "share".

now you can view the sharing folder at xbmc, using smb!!!

Smile
I keep getting a slightly different problem with vista on mine, XBMC can see my computer when i got into the workgroup, all other pc`s are accessed fine, although when i try to select the share for my computer name i does nothing, no errors or anything, just continues as if you selected nothing, anyone have any ideas?
have you checked the computer name+workgroup to be same as in the xbmc .xbe file?
bangel Wrote:have you checked the computer name+workgroup to be same as in the xbmc .xbe file?

soz, but what do you mean with `same as in the xbmx .xbe file`?
in your .xbe file on the xbmc you write the path to your computer files... i.e. smb://*computer name*/shared folder....
that's how I did it.
I have a link set in the xml to goto smb:// to show all computers on the networks, they can all be accessed except my vista one, which just does nothing when selected
I had already tried those things, and none of them work. I think it has to do with my computer not doing things right.
Sorry to introduce this topic into the XBox forum, but some of us with other devices have exactly the same problem with smb sharing in Vista. I have a Roku HD1000 that worked perfectly with XP, but in Vista I cannot manage to set the sharing up correctly.

Using UPnP through WPM 11 I get as far as seeing all shared media folders, but to the Roku they're all empty.

Setting up smb sharing is quite different than XP, as you've noticed, and requires defining specific users to share with, whereas the Roku has no username or profile.

If you manage to solve this for the XBox, I think the solution would work for Roku and other devices as well, so any further hints are most welcome!

BJ
Firstly, let me say that XBMC is an AWESOME project! Thank you to all those who contribute to this excellent piece of software.

Now for the bug/missing feature:

Vista RTM shares cannot be seen in XBMC latest (2.01)
Is there a fix on the way?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12