Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc freeze and reset issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an Ouya with Xbmc. It seems to freeze on most videos I play.

I had a Boxee Box that played EVERYTHING. The Ui was ultra slow.
My Ouya seems to play most movies fine. I added some Tv shows, and it plays 5min then freezes completely.
I have used Xbmc frodo, sbmc, and gotham. Same issues. I have plugged several wd external drives. I tried direct plug and a powered hub. Same freezing. I had a nonpowered wd passport that played video fine. Got 3 more and they all freeze.
I tried avi, mkv, mp4, and flv. All freeze up.

I would rather just get something more stable with 2 usb ports and ditch my new Ouya.

Can anyone think of what is wrong or have suggestions for a better solution? It seems like I've been battling video for months....
So, one of the drives play anything on it fine, the other 3 drives don't? Or one plays fine, all 4 connected does not? If this is the case - I would believe either you have a drive problem, or this is down to usb power management. Could also be the drives pull too much power combined.

Please post debug log from xbmc start, to the issue occurring etc.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file
(wiki server seem down at time of posting)
1 drive at a time. 1 seems to play everything most of the time. The others never do. What would cause freezing. If 1 power them, they still don't work. I just want a better solution. I want a cloud, but I don't really know how our if ouya would accept it without freezing. I'm so bummed...
Nobody? Tried again tonight. WD Passport #1 plays everything. All others, 3 minutes and then frozen. All the same dang drive and files.
What filesystem is on them? If NTFS - have you tried connecting them to a computer running win7/win8? There could be indexing errors due to "incorrect dismounting" - if so, you should get a popup once connected - go "Scan and repair".

Personally I use a CiragoLink+ NUS2000 USB "NAS" server to serve up 4x2TB usb drives on my lan. Handles NTFS as a champ - most "USB NAS"'es really don't. These can be had for ~$50-$60 on ebay or amazon. They do SMB, WebDAV, Itunes server, minimalistic torrent client, UPnP (Not the indexing flexibility of XBMC ofcourse - but the contents will be there), USB print server... Its the Bees Knees. Just don't throw larger than 2TB usb drives at them. Those need MTF partitions with 4K clusters, and won't play nicely (3TB usb drives don't play nice with most equipment though).
Hrmm... Ntfs for all. No index errors. I tried that. I'm near doing a NAS setup, because I'm sick of copying everything, but I'm a little clueless so far. My modem is in a closet and my Tv is rooms away. Not sure how I'd hook up the ethernet to my box/tv. This should be easier...
Have you tried upgrading the firmware for the drives? I the drives are identical, no FS errors and same file played ... it does sound like the drives are at fault somehow. So I guess thats something to look at; Do all drives work fine (can they do playback longer periods) on another computer/os? Are the drives all of same model and size?

If doing a NAS setup... is there room for some form of NAS setup in the closet, along with the modem/router? If ethernet is out of the question - there are some fairly decent wifi possibilities - although high bandwidh and stable, throughput is rarely cheap. Might want to look at 5GHz band, unless there is little 2.4GHz traffic/noise around you.
The firmware shows it is already updated in Windows. I did a hard update regardless. I'll test. In Windows, the files all work fine. In Ouya, they freeze up after a few minutes on all drives but 1. I'm going to try the Gotham hardware acceleration to see if that helps too. I thought about trying a new box, but nothing seems good enough. I thought a GBOX Midngith or Cubox...maybe. The reviews are solid, but they just don't seem like they would do well. Ouya has much better specs. I don't want to get a different box when that's not the problem. I'd def like 2 USB ports though.

I can plug a NAS into a router without a problem. Getting the ethernet cord to the Ouya...I don't know how that would work. It's ....so very far away.

I'd love to just have a cloud in my house that I can backup ALL my files from ALL my drives and phones and etc. ...then be able to access them anywhere...AND have a backup of that cloud in another part of the house or something. Seems a little too much. I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm sure I'll spend another 2 months of frustration....
Updated the firmware. Used hardware acceleration. It played 3 min then reset the Ouya. I did software acceleration. The same. I'm going to try a flash drive... Maybe some old hard drives... Maybe I'll attach my phone. I'll just see what works. It's so crazy.
I think your OUYA is possessed o.O
I'm going to be a pro at....this.....in case it ever happens to anyone else. I guess.
I went from the 2TB WD Externals to a 500MB Seagate. Same deal. It actually froze vids at about 30 seconds, then after 2 minutes, said BAD REMOVAL and...reset the Ouya again.

I did the debug, and it seems like nothing is pushing the CPU too hard. It's all going about 20-60%, like it normally does.

4GB Micro SD Card attached to a reader is next:: Also frozen. This lasted much longer than the others though. 5 mins in without a problem, then frozen screen.

Time for a factory reset...I guess. I'd say Ouya just can't handle externals, but 1 plays amazing! Dang...the world!

I'm probably just going to spend more money buying more stuff I don't want.
Factory reset = same freezing. I just used the stock XBMC this time. It doesn't reset the box though. Just...locks it up for life.

Nothing helped. I can't be the only one that has had this...
I had a 500 GB seagate on the OUYA a while back and it seemed to work just fine that whole day. I'll throw it on there again and see if anything happens.
Its random math I dont undetstand. I almost wish none of them worked, then Id be ok. Id say junk box or it just doesn't play from usb. The one the works is the FIRST one I started using. I figured it was weird Ouya memory, so I factory wiped it. Can't seem to roll back before Jackelope. Ill see I'd I can just fully wipe to original somehow. No android files showing anywhere. I thought maybe I had too many Xbmc versions. Wasn't that either. I'll just buy a few more box types and return what I hate. It's sad to get rid of the Ouya. I think I'm going to stay away from android.

...eventhough my Note 2 phone plays whatever fine. Direct play or mobile Xbmc.
Pages: 1 2