Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Gaming lag on network caused by XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently gaming on my PS4 a lot and I get these lag spikes every 10 seconds or so. I've been playing around with different possibilities and have narrowed it down to XBMC.

I have a router with my PS4, Windows HTPC + XBMC 12/13beta2 and Unraid NAS plugged into it, plus the internet. When I run a ping over the network from the cable plugged into the PS4 (using my laptop) I get (Min: 30, Max: 1400, Avg: 52) where the Max: 1400 is occurring irregularly, but roughly every 5 or 10 seconds. I unplugged the XBMC cable and plugged it into my laptop and got (Min: 30, Max 40, Avg: 32) which made me think it was the cable. Just to be sure I then plugged the original PS4 cable back into the XBMC and it reverted back to the (Max: 1400) lag spikes. I then ran ping on both the laptop (now plugged into the original XBMC cable) and the XBMC box (now plugged into the original PS4 cable) and I get the same (Max: 1400) lag spikes. I then close XBMC on that box and the lag spikes cease on both the Laptop and the XBMC HTPC.

I would love to hear any ideas on what could be causing this.
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) from XBMC while it's running? By default it shouldn't really be doing any network traffic outside of occasional checks for add-on updates, and whatever your various add-ons might be set to check (depending on which ones are being used, etc).
Ned, I've uploaded the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=165091

I since think I have discovered the issue though: UPnP

I turned it off after someone recommending that it might be causing the issue and all lag spikes have ceased as far as I can tell. Does anyone know why UPnP would be causing this?
Try turning UPnP back on, turn on debugging, and let XBMC sit there for a little while, and then upload that log file. That might show us what is trying to access UPnP. Could be another app, an idle smart TV that is looking at the network, lots of things.