Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best setup for android box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some problems with a laggy streaming of movies, and hope some here can help me.
My box is this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX-Android-4-2...1270598770?

I have used different kinds of XBMC versions, and when i use any frodo versions it's really laggy, because it does not support hardware acceleration. Now i use Gotham beta 2, and the qaulity of the videos is really high, but unfortunately it seems a little laggy when the camera move from side to side. it seems kinda slow in it's movements.

so i want to hear from someone which have a box and a setup which streams (almost) perfectly hd video content. What box do you have? and what version of the XBMC do you use?

I have tried some different kinds of costum builds, but haven't found a good one yet. If you have any others good ideas, share them. :-)

/Schjerbeck
I have an ouya and minix neo x7, both running Gotham Beta 4 Nightly 02/04/2014 with MediaCodec H/W Accel enabled only on both.
The ouya's firmware is the latest stable release. It plays all HD content I tried great without any lag or breakup.
The Neo X7 firmware is pre-010b beta. Again it plays all HD content great, its fast and no lag or break up
I'm happy with both.
Hope this helps
iechyd da
@sheepybach
Think the Minix Neo x7 sounds interesting. It's this one you have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-8GB-An...485edb7efc ?
Do you use wi-fi or wired ethernet connection?
is The gotham beta 4 nightly stable or do it crash sometimes?

Thank you for quick reply :-)
@Schjerbeck
No not that 1 this 1

http://www.amazon.com/MINIX-Storage-Medi...nix+neo+x7

Not sure if its true or not but I've seen reports that the X7 from ebay are fakes and not true minix boxes and if it has a fault and you contact them they will tell you so.
As stated this is what I've read and I have no first hand knowledge of if its true or not.
I've got my X7 on Wi-Fi as it's to far from my hub to have it hard wired but I've not had any problems with the Wi-Fi connection and did a speed check and was getting 53Mb down and 15Mb up.
No matter what any beta build will crash, freeze et al and you should now this before you install any Beta app but on the other side if you use a beta and it breaks on you then you should always send a log so it can be looked into and fixed.
IMHO Beta 4 Nightly builds are a lot better than the other beta's, (1,2,3) as the stream quality and clarity is a lot better.
The devs on here ask us to test these nightly builds for them on as many different devices as we can to help them iron out the bugs and errors in the builds. I update every morning to the latest nightly on all my devices.
@sheepybach
Okay thank you sheepybach, think i will buy it from the official then. better to be sure :-)

Can you have your box update automatically to the newest version? - never figured out how i could to that.

have you tried with the different kinds of beta and how was it doing there, if you have?

when you stream a movie, do you still have the bar in the bottom of the screen from android, which i have seen on some screenshots?

sorry for all the question, hope it's okay :-)

/Schjerbeck
Schjerbeck,
NP ask as many questions you like and if I can't answer them somebody will be able to. TBH I'm not sure if there is an auto update in xbmc and if there is it will only update to the latest stable build which at present is Frodo 12.3. As stated I update every morning to the latest Gotham Beta 4 Nightly and I do this manually.
As above yes I try all the beta build's as they come out.
No I don't have the bar on the bottom of the screen
iechyd da
@Schjerbeck

I have the previous version of the your box which is single core and I've been having great success with a finless ROM off of freaktab.net. It streams everything I throw at it. You could also try a linux build, it seems they are the fastest if you just want xbmc.
I have the box you have and i Can play all movies on it also 1080 with no problems at alle. And I tryed both kind of xbmc Smile
reflash it
and this box the oringal xbmc is ok, if u delete it, install other version, no good
you can reflash from following link
http://www.acemax.net.cn/en/shownews.asp?id=126
btw, that ebay link said OTA, it is nosense....
@sheepybach - how does the minix perform with the older versions of xbmc?

@dismantler - i would say i'm a average user, so i'm not sure what a finless ROM is. The linux build would be a option but if i can get the same quality on the android build i would prefer that. You are not experience any lag at all when you're streaming HD content?

@Brinis - What XBMC version do you use? as i said, when i'm streaming videos, the video picture is perfect, but when the camera move i think you get like a delay. like the camera moves in steps rather than move smoothly. It's not much but still enough to ruin my video experience. really want to hear what setup you have, if yours is running smoothly when streaming? :-)

@kentiger - I tried a lot in the beginning with the box, and wasn't satisfied, so i made a reset in the box which deleted all and made a reset of the box. I have tried to use different kinds of xbmc versions, but didn't get the result i wanted. Do you think a reflash would help? - i haven't bought it from there, just to show what kind of box i have. Think there's really many different kinds of brands and boxes, so i wanted to hear what people have experienced.
I use the nightly now but I can use frodo to and it plays fine to.
have you ever reset your box? think i maybe need to make a reflash for it work properly
I think everyone has experienced a lot of growing pains with these android players. From what I can tell the amlogic boxes, such as yours, can deliver good quality HD playback. There are many XBMC builds specifically taylored to your boxes hardware, however the nightly builds of XBMC also support the amlogic codec. You can get those here: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/

If you google the Matricom website and go to their forums they have a box called the MX2 which should be identical in terms of hardware to your box. There are several builds of XBMC, as well as Linux and Android ROMs. You can also check out freaktab.com under the amlogic android tv player section for roms what will work with your box. It has several names: MX2, M6, so on. Potentialy any ROM built for a dual-core amlogic tv box will work with any other with some tweaking.

A ROM is basically customized version of a stock Android OS. Many of these boxes come very chinesed, or with imcomplete firmwares, so people repackage the OS in an attempt to acheive better perfomance.

To answer your question: Only recently have I been able to play 10+ gig .mkv files in XBMC while in Android. The linux builds have been sufficient for that since around mid last year. Your box is somewhat faster than mine, however all these android boxes have their quirks. Basically every forum I have visited shows that each has their own caveats and strengths. It does appear that amlogic based players, like ours, do perform well at hardware decoding and streaming, you just have to find the fix pretty much. Hope that helps.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?6...roid-4-2-2

Give that thread a look.