Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
^This is a good thread to read through and get answers to those questions and more.
or at least read the wiki.
(2014-05-28, 17:52)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 17:00)yocoldrain Wrote: [ -> ]So there are at least 2 windows FTP clients (WS_FTP and WInSCP) that can access the hidden xbmc folders.

Jay
FileZilla works great for me. Didn't have to change any special settings to show the "." hidden folders.

Hey I use filezilla as well but I cant get into it just using the IP address and port 5555 what is the username and password?

TIA

Edit: Do I need to install something on the firetv to SSh into it?
I see allot of messages regarding pass thru on the Fire TV, I have mine set up, and its connected directly to a SONY AVS with HDMI, I see the pass thru setting, but it wont let me change it, can someone clarify what pass thru is and how its suppose to work, dont understand? Also, I have 7-1 AVS system and will not allow me to set that in speaker configuration, I can only set it 5.1, does the FIre TV not have 7.1 capability? Thanks for the help.
Passthrough (aka bitstreaming) passes untouched a digital audio stream to the next device in the audio chain - so if you have it plugged into an AVR, the AVR gets the untouched digital audio. If you are plugged direct to the TV, the TV gets the untouched audio.

There are various multichannel audio codecs associated with video files. The main ones you'll deal with are:

DTS and AC3 (aka DD) are lossily compressed formats maxing out at 5.1. They are common on DVD and are also present on many Blurays.

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are lossless high definition formats with up to (and can exceed) 7.1. They aren't found on DVD but are common on Bluray.

My understanding is that FTV will passthrough lossy formats like DTS and AC3, but not high def formats like DTS-HD and TrueHD. If so, this is one of the disadvantages of using a cheap android machine when you could pay a little more and get an x86 machine that will do what you are after.

Than again many people are happy with 5.1 compressed formats. Every DTS-HD track is supposed to have an associated DTS core which is played when your equipment can't handle DTS-HD. I don't know whether I can tell the difference until I get a new amplifier after my earthquake repairs are finished.
What share is recommended for xbmc over the internet? Samba share with password? Is that fine. This is what I'll have to open up on my router.

port nom du service protocole
137 NetBIOS Name Service (nbname) UDP
138 NetBIOS Datagram Service (nbdatagram) UDP
139 NetBIOS Session Service (nbsession) TCP
445 "Direct-Hosted" TCP TCP et UDP
(2014-05-29, 00:31)derrickrozay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 17:52)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 17:00)yocoldrain Wrote: [ -> ]So there are at least 2 windows FTP clients (WS_FTP and WInSCP) that can access the hidden xbmc folders.

Jay
FileZilla works great for me. Didn't have to change any special settings to show the "." hidden folders.

Hey I use filezilla as well but I cant get into it just using the IP address and port 5555 what is the username and password?

TIA

See this post above http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1721381. You do have to install some FTP server. I used the RapFox FTP server android app.

Jay
(2014-05-29, 01:43)jerndl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-29, 00:31)derrickrozay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 17:52)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]FileZilla works great for me. Didn't have to change any special settings to show the "." hidden folders.

TIA

See this post above http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1721381. You do have to install some FTP server. I used the RapFox FTP server android app.

Jay

I use EZ file explorer. Works like a charm
(2014-05-28, 14:23)Snowball Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 05:31)Maito Wrote: [ -> ]The orange keys are infrared, terrible option. try the melee f10.

Interesting.
Would you say it is the best remote out there (for an affordable price)?
I have a PS3 remote that I use with my HTPC and XBMC.

Thanks.

I tried several remotes and the Melee F10 is the best, no perfect, no backlight, some keys are IR, the air mouse is not super friendly, but my wife prefer it, so it's a winner. If your PS3 Remote works for you and you can customize it (with Keymap editor) an air mouse will not give you a better experience unless you need, let's say to move the mouse in a windows 8 HTPC.

(2014-05-28, 14:28)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 14:23)Snowball Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 05:31)Maito Wrote: [ -> ]The orange keys are infrared, terrible option. try the melee f10.

Interesting.
Would you say it is the best remote out there (for an affordable price)?
I have a PS3 remote that I use with my HTPC and XBMC.

Thanks.

im still on the fence myself, the mele f10 looks like a good choice, but has limitations also, one being no "back" button which reqiures flipping the remote and using the "esc" key from what i've been reading, is there a work around or fix for this issue? also can anyone with the f10 chime in on other short comings of it. thanks in advance,

You can assign the Back key to one of the 8 keys at the bottom of the remote (circle, triangle, square, etc) Use the Keymap editor program in the XBMC, I did assign the back, the tab, stop, play-pause to those keys.
Has anyone side loaded Firefox? I have successfully side loaded it however Firefox is zoomed in and cuts off some of the screen. Any fixes?
(2014-05-29, 06:23)jnickell100 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone side loaded Firefox? I have successfully side loaded it however Firefox is zoomed in and cuts off some of the screen. Any fixes?
Nothing to do with XBMC sorry.
(2014-05-29, 01:25)navigates Wrote: [ -> ]What share is recommended for xbmc over the internet? Samba share with password? Is that fine. This is what I'll have to open up on my router.

port nom du service protocole
137 NetBIOS Name Service (nbname) UDP
138 NetBIOS Datagram Service (nbdatagram) UDP
139 NetBIOS Session Service (nbsession) TCP
445 "Direct-Hosted" TCP TCP et UDP

I'm not a security expert, but I wouldn't think Samba over the Internet
is very secure -- especially if it's not SMB 2. Do a quick web search
and the general consensus is that opening up Samba over the
Internet is a bad idea.

I would install an SSH server and use SFTP. This is probably as secure
as you can get, and can do almost anything over SSH (remote access,
port tunneling, file transfers, etc.)
No no no never do smb over the internet!
(2014-05-29, 01:18)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Passthrough (aka bitstreaming) passes untouched a digital audio stream to the next device in the audio chain - so if you have it plugged into an AVR, the AVR gets the untouched digital audio. If you are plugged direct to the TV, the TV gets the untouched audio.

There are various multichannel audio codecs associated with video files. The main ones you'll deal with are:

DTS and AC3 (aka DD) are lossily compressed formats maxing out at 5.1. They are common on DVD and are also present on many Blurays.

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are lossless high definition formats with up to (and can exceed) 7.1. They aren't found on DVD but are common on Bluray.

My understanding is that FTV will passthrough lossy formats like DTS and AC3, but not high def formats like DTS-HD and TrueHD. If so, this is one of the disadvantages of using a cheap android machine when you could pay a little more and get an x86 machine that will do what you are after.

Than again many people are happy with 5.1 compressed formats. Every DTS-HD track is supposed to have an associated DTS core which is played when your equipment can't handle DTS-HD. I don't know whether I can tell the difference until I get a new amplifier after my earthquake repairs are finished.

Yep, summed it up well. The reason it cant passthrough the HD formats, is an Android limitation, not a hardware, or XBMC one, so if its ever going to be changed, it basically needs to come from Google. Android only presents 2 LPCM channels in its HDMI sink, (same as an SPDIF interface, which is why the limits of what it can carry are the same) and whilst a DTS/AC3 track can be bitstreamed over 2 channels, a DTS-MA/TrueHD one requires up to 8 LPCM channels.

As you've stated, each DTS-MA track also carries a DTS core which will pass over the HDMI fine, the same however isnt true with TrueHD, in that case, you'll either get the TrueHD track downmixed to 2.0, or often there will also be a straight AC3 track in the disc you can select instead.
Does anyone know how to launch other apk's within xbmc? I thinking advanced launcher, but I think it's only exe and linux files.

Would be great to launch Allcast/emulators from within XBMC, without needing to out of XBMC, back to Fire, then when finished, back to XBMC