Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-07-22, 05:58)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-22, 05:19)King_o_hill Wrote: [ -> ]I realize this is my first post, but I have been reading here for the past several weeks. I am just at my wits end with this Fire TV and I'm strongly considering smashing it with a hammer! I have tried every version of XBMC known to man, but I can't get any kind of smooth playback or streaming. I have XBMC setup on another computer on my network and it works great from there. I can even unplug my Fire TV and plug in a BlueRay player and the BR will play my movies and TV shows through UPnP without any problems. Please help me. I am willing to start anywhere, even if I have to wipe this FTV and start all over again. I have more hours in this than you can imagine. TIA
Are you on wireless or wired network?

Wired network.
(2014-07-22, 06:32)King_o_hill Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-22, 05:58)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-22, 05:19)King_o_hill Wrote: [ -> ]I realize this is my first post, but I have been reading here for the past several weeks. I am just at my wits end with this Fire TV and I'm strongly considering smashing it with a hammer! I have tried every version of XBMC known to man, but I can't get any kind of smooth playback or streaming. I have XBMC setup on another computer on my network and it works great from there. I can even unplug my Fire TV and plug in a BlueRay player and the BR will play my movies and TV shows through UPnP without any problems. Please help me. I am willing to start anywhere, even if I have to wipe this FTV and start all over again. I have more hours in this than you can imagine. TIA
Are you on wireless or wired network?

Wired network.

Is mediacodec disabled in the settings in acceleration (only only libstagefright enabled)?
Are you using passthrough?
Mediainfo of one of the files that is causing issues?
Mediacodec = off
Libstagefright = on

Not sure about passthrough, is this in XBMC or on the FTV?

Really not sure about the Mediainfo.

Please bare with me, I pick it up quick and am rather techie, I'm just new to XBMC.
(2014-07-22, 06:49)King_o_hill Wrote: [ -> ]Mediacodec = off
Libstagefright = on

Please bare with me, I pick it up quick and am rather techie, I'm just new to XBMC.

Passthrough is in the XBMC settings under audio (you'll need to have the settings set to 'expert').

Forget that for now, can you download MediaInfo from http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo and run that on one of your problem files and past the output here?

If you are on a wired network and have decent speed, I would seriously consider returning the Fire TV you are about to smash with a hammer: There is clearly something defective.

If you have indeed been paying attention to this forum, you could not help but come away with the impression that most everyone is pretty thrilled with their FIRE TV's… me included.

However, there are lemons in every batch and before I'd spend even another minute anguishing over the FTV in your possession, I'd go ahead and switch it out -- if you can.

If you cannot, I would do a a complete refresh of the Amazon TV and, of course, a fresh XBMC install and see if that helps.

You didn't say which version of XBMC you're running, but, personally, I have found that the SMPC versions work best for me…. 13.2 being the latest.
Also if you really want help with your problem, post a debug log (wiki) to pastebin.
(2014-07-22, 10:18)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Also if you really want help with your problem, post a debug log (wiki) to pastebin.

This.

But I also have a feeling that he might be watching content with an unsupported codec...that's just my hunch.

Also, I'm fairly new to Android and understand it can't do 24p (mostly) and definitely can't change refresh rate on the fly, but the newest 'L' release of Android has specifications built in to change the refresh rate, so a couple of questions:
1. Will this be what we're waiting for to make XBMC for Android 24p compatible?
2. Would the FireTV get an update with the new Android L, or does backwards compability for Android not usually work like that?
(2014-07-22, 05:38)Richie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-18, 20:26)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]Image

(above: vfat,exfat,ntfs and ext4 drives connected to my fire tv)

http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html

adbFire 1.02 changelog

addition of ntfs-3g for mounting ntfs media
addition of mount.exfat-fuse for mounting exfat media
addition of mounting for ext2,ext3,ext4 media
mount now addresses all connected USB media, not just /dev/block/sda
edit of help file to reflect mount changes
screen shots saved to unique filename

This is a good time to say, thanks. I have zero experience in Android and bought a FireTV recently. Your app made it ridiculously easy to root and get XBMC on it. So really, thanks heaps!

Thanks for the kind words Smile
+1, easy-to-use, useful tool jocala.
(2014-07-22, 10:50)Richie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-22, 10:18)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Also if you really want help with your problem, post a debug log (wiki) to pastebin.
Also, I'm fairly new to Android and understand it can't do 24p (mostly) and definitely can't change refresh rate on the fly, but the newest 'L' release of Android has specifications built in to change the refresh rate, so a couple of questions:
1. Will this be what we're waiting for to make XBMC for Android 24p compatible?
2. Would the FireTV get an update with the new Android L, or does backwards compability for Android not usually work like that?

yes...

In all seriousness though Amazon would want to update it, though sense android L has TV functionality I can image that they would take advantage of it. There will probably be some API that will give access to the refresh rate changing and that is all XBMC would theoretically need to use to be able to control it.
(2014-07-20, 02:48)breezytm Wrote: [ -> ]Everything works for me. Live TV Works 90%.

What's the missing 10%? 1080i mpeg2 hardware deinterlacing? Is it unwatchable or just poor compared to, say, VDPAU? I've been following and reports are rather mixed.
(2014-07-22, 06:49)King_o_hill Wrote: [ -> ]Mediacodec = off
Libstagefright = on

Is this the recommended setup for a wireless connection? I have both ON.
(2014-07-19, 16:34)bradwatson Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-19, 01:02)gizbug Wrote: [ -> ]Now that I have my launcher automatically loading when I turn on my Fire TV, (it goes right to XBMC) is there a way to get back to the amazon home? I need to reconfigure my wireless network.....
Go to applications-> android apps then launch the kftv app. That's kindle fire TV...

Thanks, that was pretty easy.

How do I go about updating from 13.1 to 13.2 Beta 1? Do I need Android-ARM or Android-x86 version? Is there a guide on upgrading over 13.1 to this beta? Thanks
(2014-07-22, 06:54)Richie Wrote: [ -> ]Passthrough is in the XBMC settings under audio (you'll need to have the settings set to 'expert').

Forget that for now, can you download MediaInfo from http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo and run that on one of your problem files and past the output here?

I did have to set the passthrough to on in the settings, but still the same output.

I have MediaInfo installed, but I'm not exactly sure what output I need to post.

(2014-07-22, 10:50)Richie Wrote: [ -> ]But I also have a feeling that he might be watching content with an unsupported codec...that's just my hunch.

It plays just fine on my PC with XBMC and my BR player

(2014-07-22, 09:31)MaxieWagner Wrote: [ -> ]If you are on a wired network and have decent speed, I would seriously consider returning the Fire TV you are about to smash with a hammer: There is clearly something defective.

If you have indeed been paying attention to this forum, you could not help but come away with the impression that most everyone is pretty thrilled with their FIRE TV's… me included.

However, there are lemons in every batch and before I'd spend even another minute anguishing over the FTV in your possession, I'd go ahead and switch it out -- if you can.

If you cannot, I would do a a complete refresh of the Amazon TV and, of course, a fresh XBMC install and see if that helps.

You didn't say which version of XBMC you're running, but, personally, I have found that the SMPC versions work best for me…. 13.2 being the latest.

I have definitely considered this too! I just wanted to be sure it wasn't anything stupid that I was missing before I start that process.

UPDATE: So I contacted Amazon today and they are overnighting me a new unit. Thanks for the help, I will let you know how it goes!
[Q] MLB Blackout Restriction - DNS Unblock, Unlocator, Ad-free Not Working

Hello,

Currently on Fire TV that is rooted with XBMC installed with multiple add-ons. I've used multiple DNS services to let me watch my home team. The service works fine on my PC, and Nexus 7 2013. It even worked on my Fire TV on XBMC with MLBMC video add-on. The main reason I purchased the Fire TV was to use the MLB app to watch my home team.

I know I'm able to watch it using my Fire TV with XMBC MLBMC video add-on, however it's rather bare-bone workaround to use the service I'm already paying for. My question is how is the MLB app on the Fire TV detecting my location? I know that DNS is working by verifying XBMC and Netflix, but how is the MLB app on Fire TV detecting my location?

I would really appreciate the help given my friend who also has Fire TV really love baseball too, but using the XBMC is kind of pain for them to setup. Please help? I figure this would be the only place with a community being able to come up with a possible answer/solution?