Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel 4400 DP to HDMI - 4K?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working on a client HTPC build. I have an Opteron unit as my primary server running both XBMC and PMS (easier for extranet access). However, I want something fairly light, inexpensive, but robust enough to be ready for 4K when the newer Ultra High Def TVs start coming down in price.

I have picked out most of the hardware, and I'm looking at an i3-4130t on a MB that has DP. My question is:

With Intel 4400, if I have a DP to HDMI adapter going into (presumably) an HDMI 2.0 4K television in the future, will it be able to support 4K @60hz? I know that Intel 4400 HD supposedly supports 4k 60hz via DP, but I highly doubt that the new televisions will be compatible with DP, unless I get a really expensive monitor. Plus, they state that HDMI 2.0 will be compatible with old cables. Through inductive reasoning, I would presume that a DP to HDMI adapter, into an HDMI 2.0 port on a 4K television, capable of supporting 60hz will work... however, I'm not confident enough to hit the "Checkout" button.

Thoughts?

[Not sure if it's worth noting, but I already have a BDXL drive capable of doing quadlayer. My prediction is that manufacturers are trying to move away from optical media for Ultra High Def, but I'm holding onto hope they don't.]
Some Panasonic consumer 4K displays have DP inputs, as they started shipping before HDMI 2.0 was properly ratified, and thus DP was the best way of feeding a 2160/60p signal into a TV, as HDMI was limited to 2160/30p max at 4:2:2. (Sony have a kludge of using 4:2:0 2160/60p to squeeze 2160/60p over an HDMI 1.4-bandwith HDMI connection - which has squeaked in to HDMI 2.0 I believe.)
Thank you for the tip. I'm also considering getting something with Thunderbolt, since that will most likely be able to handle the data transfer. Plus, it is easily adapted to other plugs, as well.