Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advice on direction to go regarding xbmc + others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So with the release of steam in-home streaming, everything that I've wanted to do is now available, the question is just how to go about it.

Asking the smarter heads here which direction they think would be the best route.

I've got a Zotac hd-id41 that I'd like to be able to do the following things (first two are the big ones)
XBMC (database is MySql on different host)
Steam for in-home streaming (no local games)
Deluge
Sickbeard
Openvpn
Squid

Given that, would the best route
A) xbmcbuntu + steam
B) steamos + xbmc
C) Ubuntu + xbmc + Steam

Thanks!
I haven't tried SteamOS but it's sounds like the best route if you can get XBMC working on it reliably. The next best would be to install vanilla Ubuntu. Don't touch XBMCbuntu unless you absolutely have to.
Steamos is a striped down Debian so its not so easy to install extra software plus Xbmc doesn't have the best support on Debian. You can add Debian's repos to steamos but even after doing so I had trouble installing basic applications due to dependency issues.

I would use a Ubuntu variant, which depends on your Linux confidence - xbmcbuntu if you're not that familiar with Linux or Ubuntu minimal if you're willing to use a command line.

Check out my steam launcher thread for some tips on hoq to steamos-ify ubuntu
negge - why wouldn't I want to touch XBMCbuntu? What are the cons against it?

teeedubb - I was going with the info that XBMCBuntu was an already streamlined version of Ubuntu, and then just add the specific extra packges that I'd need to get Steam + other apps running on it.

Taking into account what negge said, is it that much different to just start with Ubuntu minimal, and then just install xbmc and go from there?
No it's not much different, but rough edges are already done in xbmcbuntu for you.

A decent linux user, can get it all going on the linux of his / her choice.
@Zxurian you'll get a desktop and some other stuff like a browser which you may not want or need at all. If you do then I suppose it's a good choice since like fritsch said you don't have to deal with GPU drivers and stuff like that.
@fritsch that's whaat I was thinking. Xbmcbuntu already takes are of most of the config already for me. Just have to update video drivers and add the apps I need.

@negge From what I undersatnd, I'll need the desktop, or at least a window manager (same thing?) since that's what Steam requires anyway. Would Ubuntu minimal come with that, or would I have to install that separately if going the Ubuntu Minimal route?
Ubuntu minimal is just that, minimal. So yes, you'd have to install a desktop environment yourself. The upside is that you can choose which one you want without having to bother with removing any previous ones.
is there one you'd recommend over the one that comes with xbmcbuntu?
Xbmcbuntu comes with the openbox desktop (it needs to be manually activated in v13) which I use and recommend for htpc duties - its a blank desktop where you right click to bring up the menu.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Going to go the xbmcbuntu + steam route.
(2014-04-08, 13:52)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]Steamos is a striped down Debian so its not so easy to install extra software plus Xbmc doesn't have the best support on Debian. You can add Debian's repos to steamos but even after doing so I had trouble installing basic applications due to dependency issues.

What are some of the issues I could expect to run into using XBMC on SteamOS? I'm really into the idea of using SteamOS rather than Ubuntu, but if I cant put my usenet automation software as well as my XBMC.MyLibrary automation, it's a no-go. Thanks!