Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What extra hardware do I need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of moving from the Apple Eco system into xbmc. At the moment I have 2 Apple TVs (sadly not jailbreakable) one in the front room and one in the bedroom. I also have a media server PC that is always on and currently running itunes.

My plan is to add a freesat tuner (I don't have a freeview aerial) to the media server PC and then plug that into the TV and run xbmc on it to replace the front room atv and then buy a nettop PC to run xbmc in the bedroom. Ideally I'd like the bedroom one to be able to connect to the tuner card and be able to watch live TV in the bedroom as well. I'd also like some scope to add a second nettop to another room and be able to watch live TV in there as well.

I currently have xbmc running on the media server and saving the library info to a mysql database on the same machine as well as running on a laptop which sees the library from mysql so I'm happy with it as a media server. The only thing I'm worried about is the liveTV side of it.

I've had a quick look and thought that maybe something like the Elgato EyeTV Netstream would be a good choice as it has 4 inputs and connects via ethernet to the network so would be easy for all the xbmc PCs to see but I've heard these don't actually work with xbmc. Is that still correct? Would I be better off with a TBS6985? Whichever tuner I go with I'd like it to be quick to switch channels in xbmc as the wife won't be happy if it's too slow.

Media PC spec (in case it's needed)
Inter Core i3 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
120GB SSD - OS - Win8
3TB HDD - Media files
Asus - P8H77-I Motherboard
Fractal Design Node 304 case.

I believe the Asus board has a PCI-e 3.0 slot and the case can handle a full height card in this slot so please advise what would be my best option for a TV tuner card, remember I have no aerial for Freeview so it has to be a freesat tuner.

Thanks.