Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HTPC setup recommendation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Currently I'm using an ATV2 with XBMC as my media center. The problem is that because I have a huge library (+1000movies / +150 tvshows), XBMC is getting really REALLY slow and it freezes a lot.

So I've decided to upgrade and build my own htpc or buy an Intel NUC due it's small footprint. After checking prices I believe that an Intel NUC would be within the same price range and a good custom pc, now, I'm not sure about which NUC to purchase, I've been looking at the i3 4010 (HD 4000) and i5 4250 (HD 5000).

Does it really make a huge difference the i5 performance? Is it worth the extra $100?

I do want a high performance XBMC setup, I want to install a fancy heavy skin and keep increasing my library, but, again, my only comparison is the small ATV2.

TIA

-- EDIT --

Actually, nevermind, just found the good thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176718 Smile
I don't know how much a heavy CPU influences the loading of your library, but I guess that's mostly the issue. The more powerful Celerons should do as well. Don't forget the NUC has lower clocked laptop parts, I don't think the i5 would benefit you any over the i3 in your case.

If you're still using the default XBMC DB (SQLite), I guess it might help to switch to MySQL. As the name implies SQLite hasn't been designed for big databases, and with numbers like yours, I think that's the league you're playing in Smile.