Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What tags do I need in my mp3's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do I need to do to get my music recognized properly in XBMC? I know it is probably something to do with the ID3 tags but do files have to be renamed as well?

Also a related question - How do I delete a music library entry without deleting the file from the source...?
Try using standalone tagging software, like mp3tag to get your tracks in shape, or Media Monkey. Both of these can add all the ID3 tags to mp3s and deal nicely with flacs, ogg, ape, etc. Renaming can be taken care of by these programs as well. Mp3tag is my tagger of choice, as it uses MusicBrainz as a database. There's a small learning curve, but it doesn't take long.
Thanks - I do use mp3tag but the prolem is that I have some compilations that are coming into the library album mode as one entry per artist rather than coming in as one whole album or CD...

I'm guessing it could be the file name too - Does the directory structure have any bearing on it?
Significant tags:
title
genre
artist
track (I think track/disc also works but haven't tried)
duration
year
musicbrainz album ID
album
album artist
musicbrainz artist ID
unsync lyrics
rating
cover art

"various artists" as album artist is treated as special. (there might be other variations, but that's what I am familiar with).

Filename is not important assuming tags are correct.

I don't think there is any way to remove from library except by moving the file out of its folder and rescanning the folder.

Quote:I'm guessing it could be the file name too - Does the directory structure have any bearing on it?

Directory structure, if album artist is not set will assume all song files are "part of" an album and attempt to determine album artist from track artists. File named album.nfo in the folder will be used (if found) instead of album scraper. Parent directory will be scanned for album artist thumb and fanart, and if file name artist.nfo is found will be used instead of artist scraper.

scott s.
Thanks guys - fixed it with mp3tag as suggested... Works fine now I know what to do...

Cheers!